Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: a good smoker for small backyard?  (Read 13470 times)

fisherwithrod

a good smoker for small backyard?
« on: September 18, 2009, 10:51:56 AM »

Hi all,

We live in a townhouse complex and we have a small patio in the back

I always dreamed of getting a smoker good for smoking salmon and such, but had trouble deciding which model a) is small enough for a townhouse patio, b) does not make a lot of smoke (yes, I realize the a smoker 'smokes' by definition...), and c) can be found locally.

Any ideas will be most appreciated!

Cat

Richmond

Re: a good smoker for small backyard?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 12:09:36 PM »

get a little chief and be easy on the chips.

just add a small pile in the centre of the pan to keep the smoke down.

bradley might be better for the smoke part, but they are big $

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »

A Little Chief as mentioned is fine-just be advised that it's a light duty unit that won't last forever.

The problem isn't 'a lot of smoke' there isn't necessarily a lot of visible smoke it's the smell and the stuff you can't see that burns your eyes that the neighbours will object to.

If you're allowed to BBQ then you can probably smoke fish but a piece here and there for the neighbours helps smooth the water.

PS-don't throw away the box!

Some great info here

fisherwithrod

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 01:18:20 PM »

get a little chief and be easy on the chips.

just add a small pile in the centre of the pan to keep the smoke down.

bradley might be better for the smoke part, but they are big $

Thanks, Richmond - do you happen to own any of the smokers that you mentioned?

fisherwithrod

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »

A Little Chief as mentioned is fine-just be advised that it's a light duty unit that won't last forever.

The problem isn't 'a lot of smoke' there isn't necessarily a lot of visible smoke it's the smell and the stuff you can't see that burns your eyes that the neighbours will object to.

If you're allowed to BBQ then you can probably smoke fish but a piece here and there for the neighbours helps smooth the water.

PS-don't throw away the box!

Thanks for the advice and for the link - the 30 gallon galvanized garbage can tip looks awesome, you don't even see that there is a smoker... Although, as you say, the invisible smoke can't be hidden really...

Sam Salmon - Do you own one of these guys yourself? I'm interested in hearing from someone who is perhaps in the same situation (living in a townhouse-type arrangement) and has dealt with the smoke issue him/herself.

Thanks,
C.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 01:28:36 PM »

I own both a Little Chief and Big Chief. As Sam Salmon has said, there is a little smoke but not enough to really bother your neighbour (at least my neighbours). They may object to the smell though.

How does one control the temperature on the Little Chief ?

fisherwithrod

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 01:43:15 PM »

I own both a Little Chief and Big Chief. As Sam Salmon has said, there is a little smoke but not enough to really bother your neighbour (at least my neighbours). They may object to the smell though.

That's encouraging! Perhaps it is also a matter of neighbours :-) It may help that I already have a reputation of bbq-er, for example I often prepare salmon on cedar planks, which produce quite a bit of smoke and smell...

How does one control the temperature on the Little Chief ?

I read that the temperature of the Chief's is pre-set to raise the internal temperature of the meat to a certain degree. I can see how this may be inconvenient when one is smoking meat of different kinds. I guess that smoking salmon is different than smoking sausages or pork, and so the internal temperature would need to be different...

Richmond

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 02:16:02 PM »

Thanks, Richmond - do you happen to own any of the smokers that you mentioned?

I have both little and big chief.

I find that the big chief will actually cook the meat instead of cureing.  I modified mine by, replacing the 400w element with the 250w element out of a small chief. It made a world of difference.
then regulate temp with the box during cold winters.

joeyroach

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »

I live in a Townhouse as well and am going to be smoking some tomorow with a Little Chief. Army & Navy $129.99. I agree with Sam as my Neighbors have already requested "samples". If you BarBQ I wouldn't worry about it.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 02:56:37 PM »

I live in a Townhouse as well and am going to be smoking some tomorow with a Little Chief. Army & Navy $129.99. I agree with Sam as my Neighbors have already requested "samples". If you BarBQ I wouldn't worry about it.

joeyroach and sam, you are making my day, along with sam and the assassin, thanks for the encouragement...

RossP

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 09:01:39 PM »

I have a Little Chief and a Bradley Original. Even though the Bradley cost more,
I wish I would have started with it. I had my Little Chief first then I got a Bradley
the next year.  The Bradley is more efficient and puts out less smoke than the
Little Chief and I can control the temp. If you can afford it get yourself a Bradley.
I love mine and only use the Little Chief if I have too much Salmon to smoke
for the Bradley.

Ross
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 08:34:03 AM »

That's very helpful, Ross. I ran into an opportunity to buy a used one, but didn't know much about it, so I passed.

Is it worthwhile to buy something like this second hand, I mean from your experience? Some things are ok second hand, others it's better to buy new and care for it, especially if there are many components that are fragile or get old fast. What do you think, how old can this thing be before it's too old? :-) You now what I mean.

RossP

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 08:49:42 AM »

The nice thing about Bradley is that if you get the original everything that can
go wrong is replacable and Bradley is located in Delta on Annasis Island. I am a little
funny about things and like new stuff that I can season and care for myself. Check out
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/ for info on what you can do with a Bradley. If you get
one I know you will be happy.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 08:55:22 AM »

That is great, Ross. There's a great deal of information on that forum, holly smokes! -- no pun intended :-)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 09:56:48 PM »

I have the biggest Bradley made the 6 rack digital Bradley. Love it. I have owned a Big Chief in the past ( and smoked salmon with it at the townhouse I used to own without a problem )

The Bradley is better in every which way. It also gives off less smoke as you control how much smoke is let out through a venting system on the top of the unit.

Bradley in Delta sells scratch and dent models for cheap. Just give them a call if your interested and you might save $100-$200 on a model. I just saw their online catalog and they now have a cold smoking attachment. I will be purchasing this very soon as it will make it very simple to make lox now.

Cant go wrong with a Bradley!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family