Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: reminder - gentle to fish if you want to release them  (Read 1650 times)

charles

reminder - gentle to fish if you want to release them
« on: September 11, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »

I don't post much as I was told a number of times not to share success stories and photos anymore in here cause it will draw lots and lots of people.  To which is true, the spot I posted before from being everyone walked by pool to elbow to elbow fishing hole...

Anyhow, I thought I want to put a reminder out.  If you are un-sure about keeping a fish, don't stick your whole hand into the gill, lift the fish out with the gill plate flipping out, tangle the fish by the gill for nearly 5 minutes talking to your friend checking if your friend wants to keep it.  Thank god your friend did say yes.  I would not think the salmon will survive if your friend say no to keeping the fish.

bentrod

• Old Timer
Re: reminder - gentle to fish if you want to release them
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:03:17 PM »

Good reminder.  Also, please be aware of what a redd looks like and do not walk right through one or chase a spawning pair off of it!

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:49:41 PM »

Good reminder.  Also, please be aware of what a redd looks like and do not walk right through one or chase a spawning pair off of it!

What DOES a redd look like?  What should we all be watching for??
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 12:36:18 PM »

Just had a couple of days for pinks up on Peg Leg.  Was amazed to see the anglers (mainly BB'ers) drag their catch well up the beach then put them back if they didn't want them.  I just stood in the water and unhooked them at my feet without them ever coming out of the water, whether they were caught on the fly or a spinner.  So simple and not so hard to do.