Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jet boat fuel consumption  (Read 19019 times)

camper

Jet boat fuel consumption
« on: September 09, 2009, 06:21:18 AM »

How much fuel can those babies burn in an hour?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Jet boat fuel consumption
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 06:24:28 AM »

5 to 12 gallons per hour plus.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

tnt

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 08:20:07 AM »

pretty common question in regards to jet boats... a 19 ft with say a 350  will burn on average..4.5-7 GPH depending on how you drive it... at cruise you will be traveling 27-31 MPH so your travel time is typically short.. depending on where you want to go...average day is 30-50 dollars in fuel...
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »

Thats actually not near as bad as I thought. Had heard they are gluttons when it come to fuel consumption.
always a student

tnt

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:01:59 AM »

Thats actually not near as bad as I thought. Had heard they are gluttons when it come to fuel consumption.
it really depends on the boat... HP, Pump, hull design and load capabilities...

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »

the most fuel efficient jet will still cost 20% more in fuel then an average prop.

prop will always have more torque and hp put to the water.

Brian

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 11:33:35 PM »

I was told that 40hp jets use a 60hp engine, fwiw.

tnt

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 08:18:03 AM »

the most fuel efficient jet will still cost 20% more in fuel then an average prop.

prop will always have more torque and hp put to the water.

i dont think this is really true... a 115 Hp out board on a 20 ft boat will burn 4.5-6.5 GPH at cruise.... at WOT they will burn 9-10GPH hr max speeds of about 38MPH... a 20 ft inboard Jet with a 350 PFI at WOT burns 11.5 GPH at a max speed of 48MPH.... not that far from each other ... when really looking at it...these are all numbers we have ran on our DTS systems for our boats...
 once you start changing pumps and impellors in the jet boats you can pick up a lot more performance...
Jet boats are not the way they used to be....

Morty

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »

I have a 19' North River with a 175 Sport Jet.  I usually run at about 90% full throttle and burn 20 litres per hour. 

To put a bigger perspective on that most runs aren't very long - I-22 to Grassy is only 15 minutes.  Just checked my log and in three years of use, 48 outings have run just under 18 hours per year.  That's cheaper than golf gree fees, and way more fun! 
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 11:08:14 AM »

I have a 19' North River with a 175 Sport Jet.  I usually run at about 90% full throttle and burn 20 litres per hour. 

To put a bigger perspective on that most runs aren't very long - I-22 to Grassy is only 15 minutes.  Just checked my log and in three years of use, 48 outings have run just under 18 hours per year.  That's cheaper than golf gree fees, and way more fun! 

Are you certain of your numbers? That's only 4.4 gallons per hour at 90% throttle. Pretty efficient.

I have an 18.5 with the 200 sport jet. At 90% throttle I'm burning about 8-9 gallons per hour.  I usually run it at about 35 mph(GPS) and according to the smartcraft gauge it burns about 6.5 gallons per hour.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 11:17:58 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

JBB

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 11:20:30 AM »

Went out with a group with Vic Carraro and his boat ( big boat, big engine ) burned a liter/minute at full chat.
Man does not cease to play because he grows old ; he grows old because he ceases to play

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 12:11:58 PM »

i dont think this is really true... a 115 Hp out board on a 20 ft boat will burn 4.5-6.5 GPH at cruise.... at WOT they will burn 9-10GPH hr max speeds of about 38MPH... a 20 ft inboard Jet with a 350 PFI at WOT burns 11.5 GPH at a max speed of 48MPH.... not that far from each other ... when really looking at it...these are all numbers we have ran on our DTS systems for our boats...
 once you start changing pumps and impellors in the jet boats you can pick up a lot more performance...
Jet boats are not the way they used to be....

no matter how you put it, the jet will never have the traction of a prop, making them less efficient.

I've run drag boats off and on for many years, we were playing with adjustable nozzle diameters to help with top end but they still lack the performance of a prop.

All I'm saying is, "a jet boat will burn more fuel then a prop boat."

you can pump out all the #s you want

but i will still run further and faster in my prop boat, for the same amount of fuel.

tnt

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 12:30:35 PM »

no matter how you put it, the jet will never have the traction of a prop, making them less efficient.

I've run drag boats off and on for many years, we were playing with adjustable nozzle diameters to help with top end but they still lack the performance of a prop.

All I'm saying is, "a jet boat will burn more fuel then a prop boat."

you can pump out all the #s you want

but i will still run further and faster in my prop boat, for the same amount of fuel.

I ll bite my tongue

camper

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 09:53:33 PM »

I asked the original question about how much do these babies burn because I had just bought a 19' thunder jet with a 4.3 vortec engine and was alittle surprised when I hit the gas station for the first time after about 4-5 hours use, probably getting about 7-8 gal per hour. Anyway I guess a (this boat don't run on thanks) sticker is in order.

tnt

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 08:27:45 AM »

the 4.3 will work a lot harder to keep the same sized boat on step compared to a 350, a lot of people buy them thinking they are more fuel efficient... but in the end they realize that it will take a few hundred RPM to run the same way... camper you might want to look at a different impellor for that Motor...