Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Downrigger/Mooching Rods  (Read 9271 times)

Canadian80

New Downrigger/Mooching Rods
« on: September 06, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »

Hi all,

It's time for some new Downrigger rods for me. I've been using 9' Shimano TDR's for the past 5 years or so and as I've become more and more obsessed with fishing, I've realized that the rods are too stiff and too short to have any fun playing the fish.

I've spoken to some fellow fishers and the common recommendation is a 10'6'' Shimano Convergence Medium action rod.

I just got back from a few shops and I found the Convergence which I liked, but I also found the Fenwick HMX in a 10'6'' which was similar but with only a 5yr warranty vs the lifetime of the Shimano. What would the durability of the Fenwick be compared to the Shimano?

Are there any other comparables out there in this price range (~$100) that I missed? Which rod would you suggest?

Being so used to my stiff 9' TDR's, I can't help but wonder if a medium action is too light.. It just seems so thin compared to my TDR's. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help.

-Ryan

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
Re: New Downrigger/Mooching Rods
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »

Both are nice rods. Convergences work great....and they'll do just fine. Lots of guides/charters/lodges use them on the westcoast. They're just fine. Action should do you just fine. 

"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 06:05:50 PM »

$100 is very little, at that price point Shimao offers the best value, Fenwick are fine but  they're a bit tip heavy and there are sometimes issues with warranties.

I would suggest you hold fire for a while and see what winter/spring sales bring-in addition keeping tabs on what's on offer privately (Craigslist, etc) there were a few old Fenwicks for sale here earlier in the year-hand made rods they were an outstanding value.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »

For but a few sheckles more. a LOT of guides on the real West Coast prefer Shimano Technium Medium Heavies.
For a reason.  ;)
Light. Sensitive. Backbone. Tough. Warranty on the odd occasion required.
Finally blew up my first one this season - after three years in clients hands.
Most used personal rod is one of these.
The match with an Islander is damn near perfect!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog

Canadian80

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 09:25:17 AM »

I ended up getting 2 of the 10'6" Medium Convergence rods.. The Medium-Heavies were on sale but I figure if I'm going with a lighter rod, I might as well get a really light rod..
Landed a 13lb on the first night.. Can't wait for a 30!

Thanks for the help guys.

-Ryan

YESFISH

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »

There are different TDRs or Tolara rods. They function the same but Talora is an upgrade well worth it.  I suggest getting the Talora 9 foot with Medium/Medium.  You might have got the wrong model.
Talora is strong TC4 technology.   

Gaffer

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »

Hi all,

It's time for some new Downrigger rods for me. I've been using 9' Shimano TDR's for the past 5 years or so and as I've become more and more obsessed with fishing, I've realized that the rods are too stiff and too short to have any fun playing the fish.

I've spoken to some fellow fishers and the common recommendation is a 10'6'' Shimano Convergence Medium action rod.

I just got back from a few shops and I found the Convergence which I liked, but I also found the Fenwick HMX in a 10'6'' which was similar but with only a 5yr warranty vs the lifetime of the Shimano. What would the durability of the Fenwick be compared to the Shimano?

Are there any other comparables out there in this price range (~$100) that I missed? Which rod would you suggest?

Being so used to my stiff 9' TDR's, I can't help but wonder if a medium action is too light.. It just seems so thin compared to my TDR's. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the help.

-Ryan
I use Technium's for all weight classes of fish on the West Coast-- sensitive tips for coho--heavy power butt for Springs & Hali's and best of all unless you have a boat longer than 24ft they are short enough to maneuver around in the back end of a smaller boat for easier netting of larger fish---- Tight Lines /Sharp Hooks