Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brine for smoking pink salmon. Whadya got?  (Read 40750 times)

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
Re: Brine for smoking pink salmon. Whadya got?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 11:26:21 AM »

Thanks for the recipe link BB - my Missus will be tickled pink (pardon the pun) once I try this recipe on the pink does I caught over the weekend.  She's been anxiously waiting for me to make some for her since I acquired a Bradley last fall.
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 02:00:22 PM »

Thanks for the recipe link BB - my Missus will be tickled pink (pardon the pun) once I try this recipe on the pink does I caught over the weekend.  She's been anxiously waiting for me to make some for her since I acquired a Bradley last fall.

No problem. I have done it and its allot of work but well worth it.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

joeyroach

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 02:39:47 PM »

I just picked up a little chief this afternoon and am planning on smoking some pinks thiw weekend. I am cool with the brine but what I need help with is how to lay out fillets on racks. How much space is needed between pieces of fish? Does this fish shrink much during the curing process? do you have to have the smoke all at the beginning or can you smoke one tray first hour. Next tray at 4th hour and maybe a tray at the end? Thanks for any advice.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »

I just picked up a little chief this afternoon and am planning on smoking some pinks thiw weekend. I am cool with the brine but what I need help with is how to lay out fillets on racks. How much space is needed between pieces of fish? Does this fish shrink much during the curing process? do you have to have the smoke all at the beginning or can you smoke one tray first hour. Next tray at 4th hour and maybe a tray at the end? Thanks for any advice.

You only need enough space so that the fish is not touching.  I usually spray the racks with pam to prevent sticking.  I leave the skin on and put them skin side down.  The fish will shrink some during the curing process but not immensely.  I always smoke mine at the beginning and the cook it the rest of the way.  Put the thickest pieces on the bottom rack.  The thinnest ones should go on the 2nd from top rack.

fisherwithrod

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »

Here is a brine recipe you can use when smoking your own salmon. As with many recipes, experimenting with adding in your own ingredients can bring a flavor that you like best.

Use a large container made of plastic. Pour in 2 gallons of cold water. Mix in remaining ingredients.

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup non-iodized salt
2 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 cup dry white wine (I prefer Riesling, actually)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 10:38:35 AM by fisherwithrod »

joeyroach

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2009, 02:48:57 PM »

Here is my first Brine for the weekend. Salmon have just been placed in plastic tub to soak overnight.

3 Cups cold Water
1/2 Cup Non-Iodized Coarse Salt
1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Maple Syrup
1/2 Cup Kikoman Soy Sauce
1 Cup White Wine
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Coarse Blach Pepper
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes

Going to use a Mix of Alder and Cherry wood. I can't wait!

P.S. Eagleye Thanks for the Tip on the spacing issue. I think I have enough to fill it up.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 03:03:18 PM by joeyroach »

doja

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 06:51:50 PM »

You can try hanging the fillets (depending on your model and design). I did this with great results as I can put more in with less wasted space and no sticking of the skin on the grills. I use a tooth pic to hold in place but make sure it holds. They turn out great. The fish shrinks about 30% so.... I smoke during the first half then cook the rest.

Oh ya did both brine's and the wet was the better IMHO but the dry was more....um jerky like which a few people thought was better so it all depends on the persons preference.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 06:54:41 PM by doja »

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 03:17:52 PM »

You only need enough space so that the fish is not touching.  I usually spray the racks with Pam to prevent sticking.  I leave the skin on and put them skin side down.  The fish will shrink some during the curing process but not immensely.  I always smoke mine at the beginning and the cook it the rest of the way.  Put the thickest pieces on the bottom rack.  The thinnest ones should go on the 2nd from top rack.

I never use Pam (or other cooking sprays).  They contain nasty propellants (mostmake use of a hydrocarbon such as propane or iso-butane) and also lecithin (a soy derivative to help mix the oil and water) that builds up on the cooking surfaces that don't have food on them (it ends up a sticky brown goo that's next to impossible to scrub off!).

Either buy a pump sprayer that you pour oil into and pump air pressure yourself, or pour a bit of oil into a bowl, dip a papertowel into it and rub down the grill.  Healthier and saves the environment at the same time!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2009, 01:17:41 PM »

or pour a bit of oil into a bowl, dip a papertowel into it and rub down the grill.  Healthier and saves the environment at the same time!

Thats exactly what I do.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 10:04:14 AM »

I cut back on the amount of salt I use for brining and leave the fish in the brine for 3 days. Really picks up the brown demerara taste and ends up candied without being too salty. Salt isn't that good for you if you have high blood pressure. I keep the fish in a paper bag in the fridge. You can brine the fish with a weight on top to help with curing as well. Also I like my fish dried right out so I add charcoal to my little chief smoker to help get er done in 8 hours. Life's too short to be waiting for fish to dry out.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

whereismyfloat

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »

If you have a Little Chief or Big Chief for that matter buy yourself a $3 oven thermometer. I find the bottom rack in my Big Chief is many degrees warmer than the top rack. Putting larger fish on the bottom will be best, but I have also taken out my bottom rack fish first and let my top racks continue to dry. This is especially true since its cooler outside now.

I put the oven thermometer on my top rack (furthest from the heat source) to ensure it gets warm enough to pasteurize the meat. I bought some heating duct insulation (silver bubble wrap) from Home Depot and wrapped my smoker in it. It helps the smoker hold the heat when smoking outside in winter and ensure even the top rack is warm enough to be safe.

marbles

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 05:59:39 AM »

Im doing the sweet indian candy this weekend in my bradley,how many smoke cycles do you recomend,thanks in advance,also thanks to bryan and scouter james for answering my emails

RossP

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »

When making indian candy in the Bradley I use
6 bisquettes of apple, I start the smoke off at
100 degrees for the first hour then ramp it up
to 120 for the next hour, then 150 for 1/2 hour
then 200 until the salmon is at the desired texture.

Ross
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2010, 11:58:29 PM »

Pam is awesome on the racks.

Ive been running a wet brine and the basics are 1kg demmererra sugar,1 cup salt 3 litres of water,juoice from a lemon and spices,wine,whatever etc to taste.

I like to brush with Maple Syrop and then sprinkle it with some fresh cracked pepper when it comes out of the smoker.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2010, 07:30:35 AM »

If you have a Little Chief or Big Chief for that matter buy yourself a $3 oven thermometer. I find the bottom rack in my Big Chief is many degrees warmer than the top rack. Putting larger fish on the bottom will be best, but I have also taken out my bottom rack fish first and let my top racks continue to dry. This is especially true since its cooler outside now.

I put the oven thermometer on my top rack (furthest from the heat source) to ensure it gets warm enough to pasteurize the meat. I bought some heating duct insulation (silver bubble wrap) from Home Depot and wrapped my smoker in it. It helps the smoker hold the heat when smoking outside in winter and ensure even the top rack is warm enough to be safe.

So, what temp does it have to get to on the top rack to properly ensure pasturization?
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.