Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cold smioke salmon  (Read 6626 times)

Steelie1030

Cold smioke salmon
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:08:53 AM »

Anybody have a good cold smoke recipe for sockeye...if you could elaborate on procedure as well..I would be most obliged.I've always wanted to try cold smoke.
Thanks

staffy

Re: Cold smioke salmon
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:52:37 AM »

I think this topic will move to the "Fish Kitchen" soon.
Anyway, I try the "lox" cold smoke sockeye once last month but not very successful.
The texture is not sticky enough inside of the meat, not like the one from restaurant. I am using the Bradley digital smoker by turn on the generator only to burn the chips but not the oven.
A friend told me the best time to do it is around end of October or November, until the temperture down to zero degree celsius outside.
So, I may do it again later to see how is doing.

Robert_G

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:23:41 AM »

Your friend is right.
It's hard to do a cold smoke in summer...especially when it's above 25 degrees.
I find those late fall/early winter days are best when you have a dry day...and the NE wind and very low humidities.
The problem is when it's warm out that the element keeps shutting off and the chips don't smoke....and then if you turn the heat up, the salmon starts to cook.
If you have a light East or NE wind and it's less then 10 degrees outside with low humidity...you can set the smoker to a 100 F (38 C) (as low as mine goes), and because of the cold air outside, the element is forced to keep coming on which gives you continuous smoke. Probably one of the reasons that Coho seems to be one of the more popular cold smoked of the salmon species.

burnaby

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »

Cold smoking is delicious esp. with 30#+ springs. Too bad the dry brine, wet brine ... recipe takes the whole weekend.

Fall with cooler temp. is great time for cold smoke. Try to keep temp below 90F=32C which is hard in summer. Over 100F the fish oil starts to cook ruining the velvet smooth texture.

I use a bradley, smoke generator in separate box piping smoke into the smoker. Add ice to tray if temp > 90F.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 12:29:09 PM »

I think this topic will move to the "Fish Kitchen" soon.
Anyway, I try the "lox" cold smoke sockeye once last month but not very successful.
The texture is not sticky enough inside of the meat, not like the one from restaurant. I am using the Bradley digital smoker by turn on the generator only to burn the chips but not the oven.
A friend told me the best time to do it is around end of October or November, until the temperture down to zero degree celsius outside.
So, I may do it again later to see how is doing.

You'll need to buy the cold smoke generator box attachment from Bradley in order to do cold smoking....  otherwise the chip burner will generate too much heat in the bradley.

http://www.bradleysmoker.co.uk/products/accessories/cold.php
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »

I have the cold smoke generator box and it worked pretty well.  My mom wanted me to make some lox for her during a warm spell earlier in the summer.  The temp on my patio was about 29 C.  I put a large icepack in the bradley where the fish was and it cooled down the smoke.  You only need to smoke it for 3 to 4 hours.  The fish stayed cool to the touch.

pinkwool

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 02:51:49 PM »

You can make your own cold smoke attachment for bradley

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=16207.0

staffy

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 03:39:52 PM »

WOW.............that's a good one, I have to make one by myself.  ;D ;D ;D

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:40:56 PM »

Take it to yoshies in n.vancouver. they are the best.

andychan

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 04:08:56 PM »

Take it to yoshies in n.vancouver. they are the best.

2 month waiting list.