Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting FlyFishing  (Read 7398 times)

SMo007

Starting FlyFishing
« on: September 02, 2009, 04:33:28 PM »

My adventure begins. After some great advice in my last post about when to start, I decided to jump in with both feet. I had a friend give we a fly rod (Daiwa Black Widow, 8ft, 8wt) and a couple of reels. One is spooled with sinking line, and one with floating line. I have a lesson this Saturday and then we're going to the Fraser to put it to practice and target pinks. Beyond that I'm looking for some good books or videos about technique, reading the river, flys to use, that sort of thing. I know alot of people in another post mentioned "The Gilly" as a great book but the copy at the library was mysteriously "lost" so I'm going to order one. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. As well, is there a good spot where I could observe people fly fishing and perhaps ask them some questions, without getting in their way?

Cheers
Stephen

jimmywits

Re: Starting FlyFishing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 05:01:52 PM »

My adventure begins. After some great advice in my last post about when to start, I decided to jump in with both feet. I had a friend give we a fly rod (Daiwa Black Widow, 8ft, 8wt) and a couple of reels. One is spooled with sinking line, and one with floating line. I have a lesson this Saturday and then we're going to the Fraser to put it to practice and target pinks. Beyond that I'm looking for some good books or videos about technique, reading the river, flys to use, that sort of thing. I know alot of people in another post mentioned "The Gilly" as a great book but the copy at the library was mysteriously "lost" so I'm going to order one. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated. As well, is there a good spot where I could observe people fly fishing and perhaps ask them some questions, without getting in their way?

Cheers
Stephen
Just google ''The Gilly'' and it will show you used book stores that have it, the last gent I advised did so and found one for 18 bucks.  Good luck

SMo007

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 06:10:23 PM »

Sorry Jimmy, I don't think I was clear in my post. I have already found an online place to buy "The Gilly". By suggestions I was looking for other books or videos that people have found helpful. But thanks nonetheless for your input.

Cheers

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:12:42 PM »

If you are just starting out, Pick up the book I wrote last year called "The Freshman FlyFisher" A Beginners guide for a new generation. I wrote it for flyfishers in BC and wrote it to be very simple to understand.

It can be found at Black Bond, Chapters, most local fishing stores, or on my website.

BTW, The Gilly is the Bible in my opinion.

Rick Passek
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:16:08 PM »

Some excellent videos are from and Icelandic named Heinric Mortensen, one is called The Perfect Cast, the other is The Scandanavian Spey Cast.  Both go through casting, fly selection, presentation and are focused on salmon, Atlantic salmon but still very useful and well presented.  I found them on torrent but they may me available at the library or a fishing store.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 09:08:24 AM by Lawsch »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »

The writer of the gilly was one of my teachers way back in high school. He taught grade 11 law at the time. Funny guy....every day when the bell rang he was out of there faster than the students, into his truck, and off to a lake somewhere.  Funny enough, Steve Carter, the illustrator, was also a teacher at my school, taught us history.  That was a long time ago .... and yeah, it's an amazing book.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 11:16:27 PM »

Cheers
Stephen
Hey Stephen, the guys flyfish at you know where when the coho are running and they have been helpfull to me in the past. I caught my first pink on the fly today so drop an email if you want. All the books mentioned I have read and all have good insight but to get out there and put them to action is a lot more fun then reading ;)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

SMo007

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 10:10:51 AM »

If you are just starting out, Pick up the book I wrote last year called "The Freshman FlyFisher" A Beginners guide for a new generation. I wrote it for flyfishers in BC and wrote it to be very simple to understand.

It can be found at Black Bond, Chapters, most local fishing stores, or on my website.

BTW, The Gilly is the Bible in my opinion.

Rick Passek

Hey Rick,
Thanks for the info, again. I will definitely pick up a copy of your book. Between that and the Gilly I should be well on my way.
Cheers
Stephen

SMo007

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 10:13:20 AM »

Some excellent videos are from and Icelandic named Heinric Mortensen, one is called The Perfect Cast, the other is The Scandanavian Spey Cast.  Both go through casting, fly selection, presentation and are focused on salmon, Atlantic salmon but still very useful and well presented.  I found them on torrent but they may me available at the library or a fishing store.

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I do enjoy reading books, but find I learn best when I'm watching something. I will look for those 2 videos on my torrent site tonight, and if not check the library. Thanks again.
Cheers
Stephen

SMo007

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:18:40 AM »

Hey Stephen, the guys flyfish at you know where when the coho are running and they have been helpfull to me in the past. I caught my first pink on the fly today so drop an email if you want. All the books mentioned I have read and all have good insight but to get out there and put them to action is a lot more fun then reading ;)

Hey Jordan, Congrats on your first pink. Email is on it's way.

funpig

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »

http://www.sexyloops.com/index.shtml

I found this site to be very helpful when I first started learning a few years ago.

SMo007

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »

http://www.sexyloops.com/index.shtml

I found this site to be very helpful when I first started learning a few years ago.

Hey funpig. I visited this site as per your recommendation and it kind of scared me. :o

funpig

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 09:53:40 PM »

Hey funpig. I visited this site as per your recommendation and it kind of scared me. :o
I wasn't sure what you meant until I read that blog on the first page and I have to admit the writer's article on today's date Sept 4 was pretty weird.  Just click the "Contents" at the top of the page and go to the fishing and casting pages.  There are tons of articles and lessons.  It has been a few years since I read the stuff, but I recall some of the articles giving some very good explanations of the physics/dynamics of the cast and how to control the flight of your line.

funpig

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 10:09:38 PM »

It looks like there are 7 regular contributors on the site and each of them contributes a new article on the front page for their designated day of the week.  Some contribute fishing stuff, another wrote poetry and today's writer contributed some sort of fantasy story.  I've never seen this before.  It has been a long time since I have been on the site, but as I flipped through it, the flyfishing/casting articles are all there and the contributors are from all over the world.  I found the articles to be informative and light-hearted.

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 10:26:20 PM »

Yes i agree, they have very well written, albiet a little out there sometimes, but it keeps your attention, especially when they get into more technical aspects of casting.  A very good read, even for those with years of experience.