Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you set an example as a Sport fisherman?  (Read 5414 times)

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
How do you set an example as a Sport fisherman?
« on: September 02, 2009, 02:00:57 PM »

I would like to ask everyone on how would you as a sport fisherman/woman set an example for the rest of the people?

Okay, I'll get started:

Last time I was out in an area that was obviously heavily used by fishermen, I took about 15min of my fishing time when I was kind of tired of fishing and needed a break, and looked around on the ground and picked up any pieces of long fishing lines that were laying around.  I just packed them in my fishing bag and when I was back at home I simply tossed them in the trash can.  I wanted to leave a clean spot when I left.  I wanted the next fisherman to enjoy that spot and I also wanted to show others around me that it's not that tough to clean up even if it's not your own trash!

I'll add more when comes to my mind.

Now, your turn:   :)
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

funpig

Re: How do you set an example as a Sport fisherman?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 03:11:58 PM »

When my kids (10+ years) are with me, I get them to pick up some of the garbage left by others.  I'm lazy and I figure it's a good lesson for the kids.

lapetitebuse

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:21:41 PM »

I wanted to leave a clean spot when I left.  I wanted the next fisherman to enjoy that spot and I also wanted to show others around me that it's not that tough to clean up even if it's not your own trash!

I clean up too, but I wish other would not leave garbage behind, it would be so much nicer

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:18:46 PM »

When I teach young people (And others) in my FlyFishing Classes, A big part of it is respect for nature and on the water ethics. I also Help out wherever I can in the industry. I have done many cleanups, Tree plantings, and help out with the free fishing weekends.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

purplehelmet

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 08:00:23 PM »

I release fish properly & don't keep boots.  I also can be quite outspoken on the river when I see atrocities.  I've been lucky not to be stabbed yet ;)
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Whitedevil

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 09:56:03 PM »

Catch and release...short float...

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 10:05:05 PM »

I no longer buy atlantic salmon at the supermarket, as likely it is from a farm in the straight.  And if i see anyone else doing so i will explain why not to. 

Also cleaning up your spot even if it is someone elses junk is one all should practice, we would have such nice looking rivers then.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 10:35:19 PM »

Rather than throw my empties into the river, I leave them neatly stacked on the shore so funpig's kids can find them easily.

jon5hill

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 10:57:07 PM »

Avoid bouncing betties and 20 foot ridiculeaders to purposely snag fish.

poncho

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 06:26:08 PM »

Take a group of 8 - 11 year olds to camp twice a year and teach them to fish and properly handle and release all of the trout they catch. For many of them, it is their first time fishing or at least catching something.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 09:44:57 PM »

I avoid wearing anything by DKNY, FUBU or any other 4 letter acronym and I talk like borat to tourists.

koko

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 10:08:53 PM »

Wear Simms out fit, sage hat, Bauer fly reel and winston bamboo fly rod, who care you can not cast.

robj

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 10:13:34 PM »

Don't buy farmed Salmon.  Treat the entire resource with respect.  From the fish you catch to the environment which you are fishin in.  Release the fish gently and don't leave your prized catch to rott in the hot sunshine like I have seen many do.

Have a great day

Rob

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 10:23:47 PM »

Wear Simms out fit, sage hat, Bauer fly reel and winston bamboo fly rod, who care you can not cast.

Yeah full simms knee high warm up socks, sage hat with 4 feathers in it, and a real live parakeet on my shoulder too.  If you're not wearing the same you have no right to be fishing.  And if you can't pick up on sarcasm....

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 10:32:53 PM »

Don't buy farmed salmon and explain to others why it is so bad, help others release fish that they are not allowed to retain to help minimize the impact on the fish and also help net a keeper, respect others space.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:36:15 PM by Eagleye »