Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Roe Cure  (Read 3781 times)

avb

Roe Cure
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:08:22 AM »

I've read reference to Rods Egg cure recipe, but i cant find the actual recipe. If someone can point it out it would be appreciated. I need a new batch. Thanks in advance.

chesapeakebay

Re: Roe Cure
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 10:28:51 AM »

Rods roe cure http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2004/1004_01.html hope this helps. Chesapeakebay  :)
Fishing or metal detecting its always nice to get silver

emac

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 12:31:01 AM »

If you're not using borax is there any benefit in vacuum sealing the roe instead of wrapping it in saran wrap?  Not sure if roe has the potential to get freezer burn if just wrapped in saran wrap. 

mr.p

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 09:07:34 PM »

If you're not using borax is there any benefit in vacuum sealing the roe instead of wrapping it in saran wrap?  Not sure if roe has the potential to get freezer burn if just wrapped in saran wrap. 

Vaccum sealing is always best.  But I've found saran wrap works fine for up to a few months.
Use saran wrap then throw it in a freezer bag and it should be fine.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

robj

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 05:35:14 PM »

I just put mine in a freezer bag with some extra borax.  Seems to work great for me.

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 10:37:48 PM »

The recipe doesn't mention tap water or river water for the brine.  does it matter which water to use?
Thx
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

mr.p

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 10:53:42 PM »

The recipe doesn't mention tap water or river water for the brine.  does it matter which water to use?
Thx
No.  ;D
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:56:18 AM »

I like to vacuum pack my cured roe. After curing the roe in chunks I coat them in borax, shake and bake style. I fill the vacuum bags wih the chunks them pop them in the freezer overnight. The freezing prevents juice from getting sucked into the unit or the eggs getting crushed by the pressure.

When going fishing I toss extra bags of roe into the back of my vest. If it is unused at the end of the day it can easily go back into the freezer.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 02:34:17 PM by clarki »

emac

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 12:07:46 PM »

Thanks for the tips clarki!  One more question from the amateur.  I've got eggs from a couple fish but am planning on catching more in the next couple of days.  What would be the best way to store the eggs I have?  Or do I need to cure it as a small batch right away?  Thanks in advance.

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 01:03:13 PM »

Store uncured roe by wrapping in paper towel then wrap in plastic bag and store in fridge. Cure within 2 days, 4 days max.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:37:08 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

river walker

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »

:o 4 days ???? i soak for twenty min and shake the bag a bit every 5 mins  , drain then air dry for 5 hours till tacky then borax the bejesus outta it .. The sodium sulphite curee i soak for 5-8 mins .  Any longer seems to burn the eggs. dry till tacky
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Gaffer

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 02:30:35 PM »

I've used both methods-- Find no freezer burn with vac-seal in side a zip-lock. zip lock gives a little extra protection against rub rips -opening vac bag & causing burn-- also if you pre-cut roe chunks before freezing they last longer on the hook. Tight lines/sharp hooks

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 09:28:17 PM »

:o 4 days ???? i soak for twenty min and shake the bag a bit every 5 mins  , drain then air dry for 5 hours till tacky then borax the bejesus outta it .. The sodium sulphite curee i soak for 5-8 mins .  Any longer seems to burn the eggs. dry till tacky
  I was answering emac's question on STORING UNCURED roe .I  was advising to store in fridge UNCURED max 4 days BEFORE curing,not curing for four days!!! Sorry if my post was confusing.....I have re-worded it
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 09:36:33 PM by Spoonman »
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 11:34:42 PM »

Can you wrap the roe in wax paper after you dry it?

Thanks Nicolas.

Jaws

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 08:56:05 AM »

I want to use some of the roe I got from the pinks for sturgeon fishing in March/April. DOes borax and vaccuum sealing make the roe last until then?