Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Driftnetting the Fraser - a history lesson  (Read 2709 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Driftnetting the Fraser - a history lesson
« on: August 30, 2009, 09:55:37 AM »

Found this recently - 38th PARLIAMENT, 1st SESSION - Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans Friday, December 3, 2004   http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=1536668&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=38&Ses=1

Our own infamous famous Chris Gadsden participated on this committee. It's a long read, (Chris didn't do a lot of talking, others did) but it gives a good in site on the background discussions regarding our salmon and DFO.

Of particular interest, is a bit of history on how drift-netting became legal above Mission. Shows how a particular group, (probably won't work for most of us) started illegally drift-netting and persistently did it for 4 or 5 years, until DFO caved in and made it legal.  ???
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Driftnetting the Fraser - a history lesson
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 10:01:16 AM »

Found this recently - 38th PARLIAMENT, 1st SESSION - Standing Committee on Fisheries and Oceans Friday, December 3, 2004   http://www2.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=1536668&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=38&Ses=1

Our own Chris Gadsden participated on this committee. It's a long read, (Chris didn't do a lot of talking, others did) but it gives a good in site on the background discussions regarding our salmon and DFO.

Of particular interest, is a bit of history on how drift-netting became legal above Mission. Shows how a particular group, (probably won't work for most of us) started illegally drift-netting and persistently did it for 4 or 5 years, until DFO caved in and made it legal.  ???
I was only given 30 seconds to talk ;D as I  gave them a copy of a video I shot from a helicopter and other info. related of what you speak as it was part of my presentation.

I am not famous or infamous ( I never asked for my autograft)  ;D  ;D as I and many others just do our best to retain fishing opportunities for you and others. I hope you are sitting on some fishing related committees and contributing as well, if so well done, if not I hope you will in the future. ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 03:36:30 PM by chris gadsden »