Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser Chinook  (Read 2535 times)

bmynbr

Tidal Fraser Chinook
« on: August 25, 2009, 06:23:48 PM »

I was just wondering if you can keep a wild chinook from the tidal fraser.  I could not find anywhere that said you couldn't.  All I could find is that it needs to be 62 cm long.

Chinook

•Chinook and Coho Opportunities map (PDF)
•Chinook is open year-round in Area 29, except for the tidal portion of the Fraser River.
•Spring and summer run Fraser Chinook: Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10, off the mouth of the Fraser River: Effective June 2 to December 31, 2009 the daily limit is two (2) Chinook salmon per day which must be greater than 62 cm. Listed on 24/06/2009 FN0439
•There is an annual limit of 15 chinook that may be taken from the waters of Areas 28 and 29. For the annual limit for tidal waters of the Fraser River, please visit the Fraser River Salmon Limits page.
•All retained chinook must immediately be recorded in ink on your Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.

If anyone could clear this up for me, it would be much appreciated,
Dave

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Tidal Fraser Chinook
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 06:36:58 PM »

For chinook salmon, there is no differentiation between wild and hatchery raised fish as not all hatchery raised fish are adipose fin clipped. You can indeed keep chinook salmon in the Tidal Fraser River right now. Minimum size is 30cm long. Daily quota is four fish, but only one fish maybe over 50cm long. The reason that it is 50cm instead of 62cm is that defined adult summer run chinook in the Fraser River tend to be smaller than the ones in the fall.

Tidal Fraser salmon fishing regulations can be found on this page:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.htm

bmynbr

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 06:39:56 PM »

Thanks Rodney

gheart008

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »

For chinook salmon, there is no differentiation between wild and hatchery raised fish as not all hatchery raised fish are adipose fin clipped. You can indeed keep chinook salmon in the Tidal Fraser River right now. Minimum size is 30cm long. Daily quota is four fish, but only one fish maybe over 50cm long. The reason that it is 50cm instead of 62cm is that defined adult summer run chinook in the Fraser River tend to be smaller than the ones in the fall.

Tidal Fraser salmon fishing regulations can be found on this page:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.htm

So I'm assuming that after August 31, you can no longer retain them?  That's only six more days!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:01:20 PM »

Yes, but expect a fishery notice to come out at the beginning of September for the pink salmon and possibly additional chinook salmon fisheries in the Fraser River, plus bait ban implementation and no retention of coho and sockeye salmon to protect the interior coho salmon run.