Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vacumn Up The Springs... Again  (Read 5029 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Vacumn Up The Springs... Again
« on: August 22, 2009, 01:28:34 PM »

So, when earlier this week The Dino announced the overturn of the controversial ruling that the recreational sector was limited to one spring over 77cm and one under in the terminal areas of The Alberni Inlet system, many jumped for joy. There really isn't a significant presence of the "under" sized jacks, so this meant that catching a daily 2 fish limit became a much more feasible possibility.

I read that announcement with both a feeling of relief (as I felt that the rule as it stood would likely have the exact opposite effect of that which it was designed for) and yet a stronger feeling of dread. The announcement began with the line "Stronger than anticipated chinook returns to Alberni Inlet..." To me that implied the distinct possibility The Dino was about to announce it's old Buddies in the Bag Fleet were about to be unleashed once again on a barely minimal run yet again...

Thus, when I returned home for a brief day down this morning, that feeling of dread once again came over me as I opened my Emails. aYup, there it was, the VERY thing I had been hoping that some smattering of common sense might prevail and avoid. For your reading displeasure:

Subject: FN0644-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine - Area B - Alberni Inlet Chinook Opportunity - August 24

Category(s):
COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0644-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Seine - Area B - Alberni Inlet Chinook Opportunity - August 24

Stronger than anticipated chinook returns to Alberni Inlet have presented an
opportunity for expanded terminal fisheries targeting the enhanced Robertson
Creek hatchery stock. The pre-season forecast of Barkley Sound chinook was
upgraded from 47,000 chinook to 57,000 chinook, which provides a commercial
allocation of approximately 7000 chinook. The Area B seine TAC is 2800.

A seine opening is scheduled for upper Alberni Inlet on Monday August 24 and
Tuesday August 25. The fishery will end when the TAC is achieved. It is
anticipated that a maximum of three seine vessels will participate in this
opening.  Vessel participation in this fishery is being coordinated through the
Seine Working Group process by the Area B Harvest Committee.

Area 23 - Alberni Inlet

Seines open from 06:00 hours until 19:30 hours Monday, August 24 and from 06:00
hours until 19:30 hours Tuesday, August 25 in that portion of Subarea 23-1
bounded in the north by a line from a boundary sign at the Harbour Quay clock
tower in Port Alberni harbour to a boundary sign on the opposite shore of
Alberni Inlet and in the south by a boundary line from the Dunsmuir Pt. light
to a boundary sign on the opposite shore at 49°09.66’N latitude, 124°47.72’W
longitude (approximately 0.75km north of China Creek breakwater).  Minimum bunt
mesh size is 70 mm.  The target species is chinook; incidentally caught coho
may be retained.  Sockeye, pink, chum and steelhead may not be retained.

All catch must be brailed and the use of power skiffs is approved.

V.O.# 2009-SAL-23-SN-03, V.O.# 2009-SAL-23-SN-04

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
DFO Port Alberni (250) 720-4440

No surprise really I guess. The Bag Fleets have oft carried the day with The Dino, who obviously prefers their favor over that of the troll fleet, the recreational sector, and most unfortunately the health of the resource itself. Given their propensity to miscalculating nearly every run they attempt to forecast (see the related threads regarding the "missing" Fraser sockeye) one would think that erring on the side of caution would be warranted. And even though earlier this year The Dino was publicly considering "conservation measures" to address the low forecast numbers, somehow an additional 10,000 fish have magically appeared in their forecast model. Computer fish that is. The reason the numbers are depressed this year can be traced back to exactly the same type of opening 4 years ago - the brood year for this year's run, combined with unleashing the gillnet fleet as well. And so it is with no surprise again that we witness:

Category(s): COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net
Subject: FN0645-COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net - Area D - Alberni Inlet Chinook
Opportunity - August 24

Stronger than anticipated chinook returns to Alberni Inlet have presented an
opportunity for expanded terminal fisheries targeting the enhanced Robertson
Creek hatchery stock. The pre-season forecast of Barkley Sound chinook was
upgraded from approximately 47,000 chinook to 57,000 chinook, which provides a
commercial allocation of approximately 7000 chinook. This allocation will be
split between gill nets (4200) and seines (2800).

Area D gill nets will open for 4 hours commencing 20:00 hours Monday August 24
until 00:00 hours Tuesday August 25 with a possible 4 hour extension.  A second
opening is possible on Tuesday at 20:00h if the available TAC has not been
reached.

Area 23 - Alberni Inlet

Gill nets open, 20:00 hours until 22:00 hours in that portion of Subarea 23-1 bounded in the north by a line commencing at a boundary sign situated at 49°14.19 north latitude and 124°50.23 west longitude thence through the southern most point of Hoik Island thence to the flashing green light at the mouth of the Somass River thence due east to a boundary sign on the opposite shore and in the south by a boundary line from Lone Tree Point to a boundary sign on the opposite shore of Alberni Inlet, and then, from 22:00 hours until 00:00 hours in that portion of Subarea 23-1 bounded in the north by a line commencing at a boundary sign situated at 49°14.19 north latitude and 124°50.23 west longitude thence through the southern most point of Hoik Island thence to the flashing green light at the mouth of the Somass River thence due east to a boundary sign on the opposite shore and in the south by a boundary line from Dunsmuir Pt light to the light on the northern end of the China Creek marina breakwater.

The maximum gill net length is 183 meters.  Maximum depth is 60 meshes, minimum mesh size is 171 mm, maximum hang ratio is 3:1, corkline to web distance minimum 0 cm, maximum 2.0 m.  Alaska Twist and or Multi-strand web may be used.  The target species is chinook, incidentally caught coho may be retained.  Sockeye, pink, chum and steelhead may not be retained.

Variation Order Numbers 09SAL-23-GN-03

Time after time, run after run, this Department strongly appears to be "managing" our salmon stocks right out of existence. It becomes increasingly apparent that incompetence, zero accountability, and a definite favoring of the harvesters well politically connected rule the day. How long can the resource stand up under these pressures? And the bigger question, how long will we, as citizens concerned with the health of the resource, stand idly by wringing our hands in frustration?

If there ever was a reason for impeaching nearly an entire Federal department, methinks we have realized it now.

More and more, the intended humor in the logo for the T-shirts that are upcoming appears to be not so funny, and actually a rather befitting description of this Beast. Political Mismanagement at it's finest.

You can sign me off: Disappointed, PO'd beyond belief, and in fact downright ANGRY!  >:(
Nog

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
Re: Vacumn Up The Springs... Again
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 03:08:24 PM »

And on it goes...

Fishing in the Inlet and Sound is pretty much a graveyard - mostly memories.

Put an entire day a few ago in checking out the sound - one fish. Spoke with around a dozen good fishers - same or worse results. Monitoring the effort and catch for a week shows no improvement.

Myself and pretty well the balance of the Ukee guides hit all of the approach lanes to the Sound on a daily basis. In a "good" year, by now I would see 75 or better Stamp fish to the boat. This year less than a dozen. All my buddies hunting out there say the same. They simply are NOT there.

And while I amongst others would very much like to see a few fish in for the Derby, this matter is getting well beyond that simple desire. The unleashing of the FN economic fishery, coupled with the bag fleet efforts have vacuumed up the few earlies that did show. And at this juncture, there is nothing coming in behind them. Yet the bag fleets and FN's go again today and more - of course just a few days in front of the impending Derby. Not that there is anything there to catch, but hey, let's at least ensure the system is as close to devoid as possible when the Derby does go...  :'(

The "increased abundance" The Dino refers to was based upon returns to removed systems up-Island. As in if Conuma sees a larger return than forecast, certainly the Stamp will see the same. No science - gut instinct and computer projections gone horribly wrong.

We are all hoping beyond hope that the fish are simply late. But look at your calender! How late can they be? Historically the system should be right hopping with fish by now. It ain't. Total irresponsibility on the part of "management" to condone the type of carnage being inflicted on a run size even at the optimistic prediction numbers. Criminal and sickening to witness the same when the run now appears to be smaller than originally predicted!

Nearly all other runs have been early this year - the Fraser and US origin fish disappeared from the banks and feeding grounds 2 weeks earlier than "normal" this year. Conuma and points north have seen quite early returns as well. Yet The Dino insists the Robertson fish are still out there, and can support hit after hit by netters who realize but a pittance for their efforts. How long can this go on before we red list this stock?

DFO - you best hope that they are late, and that they do show in numbers - real numbers that is, not your fudged data yet again to support your overly aggressive removal practices. This time the eye is on you, lawyers are lined up and willing to engage and the Media Monster is starting to cast it's hungry eyes in your direction. Methinks that should the worst case scenario enfold as it appears very much it might, it is time for a few most uncomfortable moments for you. Not that it will make much of a difference. Your agenda of nuking the fish right out of existence appears to be right on track. And with the hands currently on the wheel of controlling that, methinks there is little hope for any resource beyond your pet fish farmed clones.

SICKENING!!
Nog

Added:
FN "Economic Opportunity" gill net fishery removed over 7,000 springs last night.
Gillnetters unleashed tonight.
Seiners on the horizon.
Derby to follow on what little may be left...

Good Gawd!

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

I think it is time for the Dead Fish Office to be closed and replaced with a new Pacific Coast specific organization.

poncho

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 07:03:25 PM »

One of the officers from our Police department called DFO about a specific group of people illegally selling large amounts Sockeye on the docks and there answer was "we're too busy to deal with that". It is a regularly occurring situation involving people who have no regard for the law and the DFO don't seem to care.

Some of our members try and check licences whenever they can etc. But the DFO really needs to step up.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 10:21:08 PM »

...But the DFO really needs to step up.

Good Luck on that one! ;)

With all signs now pointing to very little in the ways of returns  - approach lanes empty, Inlet nearly so, the Sound barely showing anything, and basically nada up the river, we now bring you:

COMMERCIAL - Salmon: Gill Net

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0706-COMMERCIAL Area D:  Chinook gill net, Alberni Inlet - Area 23
Gill nets will open for 4 hours commencing 20:00h Wednesday, September 9 until
00:00 Thursday, September 10 with a possible 4 hour extension as described
below...

Variation Order Numbers 09SAL-23-GN-13,14

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Contact DFO Port Alberni
250 720 4440

Simply Out Of Control methinks. :o

Sickened and sadded beyond words. :'(
Nog

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 11:05:27 PM »

What a F'ing joke!!!!
always a student

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 11:35:43 AM »

The Derby Weigh In Stations are telling the story. At just after 11 am, 5 into China Creek, 7 to Bamfield, and 6 in Port. Largest is now a 41.8. Next closest: 24.4

EXTREMELY dismal showing on the part of the fish! Damn near nothing as compared to previous years!

Hey DFO, better get those nets back out there quick - there just might be ONE left!   ::)

Nog

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 01:26:48 AM »

Its really sad to see whats become of the chinook run.  I remember my first ever river fishing experience was on the Stamp almost 20 years ago.  Back then they had over 100,000 to 150,000 returning to the river.  The stamp was plugged with fish.  Every fall, the Port would be hoping with tourists spending money etc..

Nog do you know what the commies do with these fish?  Are they canned? Sold as pet food?  I can't imagine these fish fetching top dollars.  No way are they anything  close to the troll caught fish offshore in the Spring.

Frankey

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 06:59:16 AM »

I can remember travelling over to the Stamp in the mid eighties for giant chinook.The fishing was incredible.The town busy.What a waste!

river walker

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 11:57:42 AM »

is the fall run red or whites? 
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Frankey

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »

Reds ,never caught a white there.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 12:15:54 PM »

Nog do you know what the commies do with these fish?  Are they canned? Sold as pet food?  I can't imagine these fish fetching top dollars.  No way are they anything  close to the troll caught fish offshore in the Spring.

The fish are sold to standard Buyers, who this year offered a whopping $ 1.50 a pound. These are NOT the quality of ocean trolled fish, and are generally destined to become cat food. For the FN's this means little, as their related expenses are quite low. For the gillnetters, most did not recover fuel expenditures.
The seiners are another story. While the price of the fish themselves was a mere buck fifty, the price of the ROE was better than 7 clams per pound. Thus, when they fished to a number, high-grading of course was occurring. There were several reliable Folks who sat by and watched the brailing of this year's haul to the seines. And while they did include large amounts of mostly DOA sockeye, that also included reasonably large volumes of male chinooks - both mature and jacks. They were worth basically nada, and counted against the number, so were discarded. As a consequence there are many "floaters" in the Inlet, a result of being captured, net squeezed, then "released". The seiners actually did not quite reach their target, but their catch consisted of chiefly large mature hens ripe with mature eggs. NO onboard observers ensure this tasteless practice continues...  ::)

All in all a VERY sad performance, and especially so for the resource. The early run was all but decimated, and especially so with the targeted removal of the female component. And at this juncture, there is very little in the way of hope for any late showing to at least attempt to meet escapement requirements.  :'(

DFO in action once again. I don't blame the working stiffs who participated - they were only doing what The Dino decreed they could. I am however gravely concerned that the greatest single threat this run faces is the actions of the current "management" regime.  >:(

Nog