Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looks Like No Sockeye Opening This Season  (Read 23294 times)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Looks Like No Sockeye Opening This Season
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 10:46:16 AM »

At this point of time when springs and sockeyes are in the river , a leader length restriction is best to avoid catching any sockeyes when going after the springs . I would say a 3 foot leader is sufficient for springs or shut the river down until the sockeyes have gone through or the projected numbers have gone through .

You can still catch sockeye with a 3 foot leader. Just shut it down to everyone.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 10:51:34 AM »

At this point of time when springs and sockeyes are in the river , a leader length restriction is best to avoid catching any sockeyes when going after the springs . I would say a 3 foot leader is sufficient for springs or shut the river down until the sockeyes have gone through or the projected numbers have gone through .
The best method at this time is just to bar fish as you will catch very few sockeye or none at all.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 12:05:44 PM »

Head down to Washington.  I've limited every time I've been out on the Columbia River and Lake Wenatchee opens next week.  Quick limits for a boat full in 45 minutes.   

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »

Head down to Washington.  I've limited every time I've been out on the Columbia River and Lake Wenatchee opens next week.  Quick limits for a boat full in 45 minutes.   
How are they catching them? :-\ :-X

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 12:26:15 PM »

slow trolling with a dodger, 14" leader and 2 red octopus hooks tied like a herring rig, but with only 1" of space between hooks. 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 12:27:51 PM »

socks are farily small (avg. 4 lbs with an occasional 7-8 lb fish), but very fresh considering how far they've travelled.  Limits are 4 fish per day.  We're also catching springs (AKA, Chinook for us Americans). 

Tee

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 12:32:33 PM »

FYI. Below email received from Ms. Morton.

Hello

This week the Fraser River sockeye run was critically downgraded.  This was no surprise to me as I looked at this generation of Fraser sockeye and they were infected with sea lice near the fish farms from Campbell River to eastern Johnstone Strait.  While they are bigger than pink and chum salmon when they enter the sea, they are damaged by the lice, you can see an image on the website www.adopt-a-fry.org  The pattern keeps repeating. If they caught farm lice when they were young, they never come home. As soon as the farm salmon are removed, they do come home.

Actor William Shatner is lending his star power to our efforts and wrote to Prime Minister Stephen Harper.  His letter is on our website.

One of the signatories on our letter to the Minister of Fisheries generously donated his services to produce a full page information ad on salmon farms.  You can see Gary Dunham, of Mercury Graphics in Langley BC's work on the "Action" page at www.adopt-a-fry.org Thank you Gary for your patience and talent.

Many people have heard about the salmon farming controversy, but they don’t know the specifics. I have included some of the many issues that are causing the problems with this industry. I would really like to hear from you about which local newspapers this should appear in. If you could send me a link to the paper that would be really great.  Any financial assistance in running this ad in your community would also be welcome.

The downgrade of the Fraser sockeye is a warning we can choose to ignore or react to. Alaska is seeing huge sockeye returns and they do not allow Atlantic salmon to be penned on their salmon migration routes.  We can make many guesses as to what happened to our sockeye, but it does not make sense to ignore the one that has been researched and published and seen worldwide.  Commercial, sport and tourism operators are taking losses to protect our wild salmon and yet the fish farms just keep getting bigger and more numerous. 

There is something very wrong here and if we want our wild salmon we need to speak now or forever lose our fish.

Standing by,

Alexandra Morton
I only fish on days that end with "y".

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 12:54:54 PM »

FYI. Below email received from Ms. Morton.

Hello

Actor William Shatner is lending his star power to our efforts and wrote to Prime Minister Stephen Harper.  His letter is on our website.

Well we're saved now.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 01:01:04 PM »

yesterdays seine test at blinkhorn area 12 was pretty good for socks,huge for pinks. the next 7-14 days will tell if things are as bad as forecast. dont write off the sockeye yet.  fish dont have a watch and can delay migration for various reasons.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 02:47:43 PM »

You can still catch sockeye with a 3 foot leader. Just shut it down to everyone.

Very true.  My original 24" suggestion was because that would pretty much eliminate the flossers.  Yeah, you could still floss with a two foot leader, but I think your catches would be pretty limited.  Most flossers would probably give up, or better yet, get out the bar gear.  Maybe a restriction to 18" would be better.

I think that shutting the river down to all rec fishing would be a bad decision.  Spring are pink returns this year are strong.  They can be caught without snagging and intercepting sockeye.  These fisheries have large economic benefits to the guide industry, and the province as a whole.  Also, it is important to have the recreational sector on the river to keep an eye on the First Nations fishery. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »

Also, it is important to have the recreational sector on the river to keep an eye on the First Nations fishery. 

And this would be the reason to shut it down. Then there will be no calls to answer and return regarding illegal fishing going on. The chief in the chilliwack area always lobbies to keep the rec fishermen off the river as the rec fishermen are the ones that phone his band in.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2009, 04:39:11 PM »

its easier to just say.....barfishing only.....plunkin' only

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2009, 05:11:49 PM »

with this heat wave that we're experiencing, water temps are through the roof. NOT GOOD NEWS!
Fish killer 101

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2009, 05:18:45 PM »

Ref Rod's earlier post - when fishing the ocean, how do you know whether a salmon is Fraser-bound?  Is it to do with a specific area in the seas?

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2009, 05:59:13 PM »

Well we're saved now.

hahhahahahah, good one. Shatner is the man!
always a student