Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looks Like No Sockeye Opening This Season  (Read 23292 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Looks Like No Sockeye Opening This Season
« on: July 28, 2009, 10:35:36 PM »

Just received an e - mail with minutes from a meeting held tonight  that it is highly unlikely there will be a rec sockeye opening this season.

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Looks Like No Sockeye Opening This Season
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 10:54:55 PM »

thats fine with me. the more to spawn the more to return. I much rather see more get to their native streams so i can chase trout behind them anyways  ;D ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 10:58:38 PM »

thats fine with me. the more to spawn the more to return. I much rather see more get to their native streams so i can chase trout behind them anyways  ;D ;D
Of course I will not miss it either and the river will remain calm until the pink start arriving. ;D

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 11:57:34 PM »

I was looking forward to it as I never tried one, most of my friends say they're the best eating. But I can also live with that decision. But what I don't understand is why is the rec fishing closed while the commercial and first nations are allowed to fish for it? Each Party retains more then all rec - fishermen together! If they really want to save the stocks it should be forbidden to everybody, But that's just another "it's all about the buck" decision! Just look what the superstores or save ons or what ever their name is are selling like nothing at the moment (or trying to sell and dump it after a few days) Just to let you know, i'm not a Canadian. I saw and knew what happend to the Salmon Stocks in Europe, I saw it in Norway as I was fishing a lot up there before I moved to Canada, I've heard about Ireland... Exactly the same thing is happening here and it's almost too late to stop it. It's taking place! Why can't people learn from mistakes of others. Sorry for that, I'm not allowed and I don't want to judge over your government but in that case it's more than obviously.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 12:10:39 AM »

There are no commercial openings for Fraser River sockeye salmon. Openings in the commercial sector are only available once it is opened for the recreational sector.

First Nations' openings supercede the other two sectors once escapement requirement is met for each stock.

At this point, if the summer run return reaches the revised estimation at 90% probability (2.8 million fish), there are just enough to meet escapement requirement and First Nation's FSC requirement. The early and late summer runs will be low that the FN's FSC requirement may or may not be met. Based on this information, it is unlikely at this point that the recreational sector will see an opening this August.

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 12:23:10 AM »

I was talking about the whole situation here,Rod! I know there is no commercial opening but aren't the fish in the ocean the fish that will return to the rivers?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 12:27:28 AM »

No.

I'll rephrase the first sentence of my last post.

There are no commercial openings for Fraser River-bound sockeye salmon, in river or ocean.

colin6101

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 12:33:25 AM »

Hmm maybe this will free up some more spots to try out barfishing from shore when the river drops. I for one am perfectly ok with the run being closed to sportsfishing as long as they don't net them still.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 12:37:58 AM »

It looks like it will be like the last pink run - no sockeyes but you can target pink.  ;D  Perfectly fine with me. Just make sure DFO is going after each illegal net they can find and prosecute those who dare the closures. It will be sad if we are not allowed a single sockeye but the natives flood the black markets with the precious stock.  :(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 03:19:52 AM »

It looks like it will be like the last pink run - no sockeyes but you can target pink.  ;D  Perfectly fine with me. Just make sure DFO is going after each illegal net they can find and prosecute those who dare the closures. It will be sad if we are not allowed a single sockeye but the natives flood the black markets with the precious stock.  :(
Write your MP's and a letter to the editor of the big dailiy or local papers.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 07:19:06 AM »

No.

I'll rephrase the first sentence of my last post.

There are no commercial openings for Fraser River-bound sockeye salmon, in river or ocean.

I would imagine the Americans will be comercial fishing for them.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 09:14:03 AM »

Fine with me.  The sockeye harvest is a blast but we have to make this sacrifice.  At this point though, DFO really needs to take charge of this fishery.  If the sockeye numbers can't withstand a fishery they should be protected by the implementation of a 24" leader length restriction! 

goblin59

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 09:57:12 AM »

With the way the water temperature is rising in the Fraser, they need to just shut the whole fishery down for all user groups, including first nations.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 10:12:12 AM »

This is my response to the  e- mail I received from FOC.

Thank you Deb and I think the Fraser Panel has made the correct decision with the low forecast of returning fish to their natal streams. I was out on the Fraser at Chilliwack yesterday  and it was 20 c so that will start of have an impact as well as it will get warmer in the days ahead.

I also urge FOC and F/N to do their part as the rec sector as well to preserve the runs for the future. We must not made the wrong decision like happened on the East Coast of Canada a few years ago. We are all accountable to future generations so they can maybe once again see the sockeye and other salmon runs back to historic levels, there is no excuse not to and we all must do our part. It can be done with sound management and the cooperation of all users groups as the fish come first over any other reason why they should be able to harvest them..

Kindest regards,

Chris

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 10:20:14 AM »

At this point of time when springs and sockeyes are in the river , a leader length restriction is best to avoid catching any sockeyes when going after the springs . I would say a 3 foot leader is sufficient for springs or shut the river down until the sockeyes have gone through or the projected numbers have gone through .