Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What type of camera do you use?  (Read 22124 times)

Keener

Re: What type of camera do you use?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 07:44:36 AM »

Okay. With that being said.. I think photography courses wouldn't be a bad idea before the lens upgrades. I've just been experimenting and learning by trial and error so far with discouraging results, hence the downgrade to my point-and-shoot investment.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 09:19:38 AM »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 12:01:01 PM »

If you do get a polarizer I would recommend B+W because they have the best optical quality.  The 100-400L is top notch but I do think the 70-300 IS lens is a step up from the 75-300 since it does have UD elements but it doesn't have the focusing motor that the L lens has so it is not best suited for action shots.  I have been pleased with my lens anyways but I am no expert.  Here is a review of the lens http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-300mm-is.htm I would agree that learning how to use the camera should be done before spending more $$$.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 12:13:10 PM by Eagleye »

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 10:35:40 PM »

Okay. With that being said.. I think photography courses wouldn't be a bad idea before the lens upgrades. I've just been experimenting and learning by trial and error so far with discouraging results, hence the downgrade to my point-and-shoot investment.

London Drugs puts on free basic photography coarse, that's were I have learned the bulk of my knowledge ( ;D but that's not too much ;D).

Keener

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 11:04:03 AM »

Thanks for the help guys. I'll post some pics and get some critique.

oni_kage

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 08:01:14 AM »

I shoot with an older canon 30d.
I manly shoot with a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Sometimes I use a Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM however the 1.6 sensor crop ruins its true ability. I can't wait to try this lense on a full frame one day.

Tee

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 10:20:18 PM »

Nikon D90 with the following lenses:

Nikkor 18-105 kit lense,
Nikkor 50 f1.8 prime lense (really happy with this lense),
Nikkor 55-200 vr lense,
Tamron 10-24 f3.5-5.6 ultra wide lense.

Below are some shots from the above lenses.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:47:55 PM by Tee »
I only fish on days that end with "y".

JL

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 11:01:12 PM »

I use a hand me down canon 300D with the stock lense and borrow whatever lense i need from the bro and shoot as he tell me to as i currently have a very limited knowledge in photograhy.

Also, have a canon SD600

yamadirt 426

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2009, 04:57:29 PM »

Nikon D50 for me and a nikon point/shoot

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 04:33:21 PM »

I use a hand me down canon 300D with the stock lense and borrow whatever lense i need from the bro and shoot as he tell me to as i currently have a very limited knowledge in photograhy.

Also, have a canon SD600

I could use some advice from your bro, I am just beginning and need a lot more practice. 

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 12:25:03 PM »

I have a few canons but only one of them is working after I submersed one in salt water by accident and the other one my 2 year old got hold of and as I tried to get it from him it smashed down on the floor.  Now it works when it wants to.  The only one I have left is the new canon D10.  I'm happy with it so far.

I'm in to hiking/fishing etc. first, photography second, so I just can't lug around an SLR.  So far the closest I have got was the s5is that my kid trashed :( 

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 01:09:06 PM »

I look forward to seeing some pics from the D10.  It looked like a pretty nice piece of kit from the Canoon specs.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »

I have a couple of underwater rainbow pics I'll post when my wife returns with the camera :D

Hiker

• I'm a good llama!
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 10:05:01 PM »

Courses are way to go, or if you have no time for it, you can always teach yourself. Digital cameras are really good for that, and for the absolute beginner I would say a book is a must to get ahead a bit faster. I have no time these days to fish, so I spend much more time with camera, whenever I am out in the nature. I would really recommend a book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It is a really good book for a beginner. It doesn't focus on any camera, but rather on some of the basic principles of photography whit, I find, very good example shoots. One thing I have found in that book different than in many others, is that every picture is followed with a standard info about settings used, and additional info about why those settings were chosen. I find later info really useful.

There are many other books as well, so just pick one, but get recommendation too, as there are a lot of books I do not find that useful. This will probably increase quality of your picture taking dramatically, as long as you work on it too.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 12:23:02 AM »

Courses are way to go, or if you have no time for it, you can always teach yourself. Digital cameras are really good for that, and for the absolute beginner I would say a book is a must to get ahead a bit faster. I have no time these days to fish, so I spend much more time with camera, whenever I am out in the nature. I would really recommend a book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It is a really good book for a beginner. It doesn't focus on any camera, but rather on some of the basic principles of photography whit, I find, very good example shoots. One thing I have found in that book different than in many others, is that every picture is followed with a standard info about settings used, and additional info about why those settings were chosen. I find later info really useful.

There are many other books as well, so just pick one, but get recommendation too, as there are a lot of books I do not find that useful. This will probably increase quality of your picture taking dramatically, as long as you work on it too.
+1 on "Understanding Exposure"  It's really what taking pictures is about - independant of camera make/model/quality.