Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sand heads  (Read 8973 times)

italianstallion

sand heads
« on: July 19, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »

just got a 20 foot jet boat guys and wanted to try out this sand heads spot just wondering how its fishing and how to get there and where to launch from any help would be great thx guys!

lude98r

Re: sand heads
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:08:47 PM »

Its just off of the main part of the fraser. I havent heard how fishing is there. Good luck and enjoy your new boat.

gman

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:19:07 PM »

Sandheads is at the mouth of the South Arm of the Fraser. Launch at Steveston (South End of #2 road) or Ladner (Ferry Road).  Follow the river channel to the light ship at the mouht (Sandheads). I've heard its been pretty good out there this year, not sure about recent reports. Watch the weather as it can blow up out there and the combination of waves, tides and river current can get nasty.
Maybe try Nikka in Steveston for recent reports.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:22:42 PM by gman »

tim3500

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 09:11:52 PM »

Right on! On  your new jet boat and what was said about being rough its all true on incoming tides be carfull  use your depth sounder fish the drop  120 - 220 ft it gets shallow quick out there  don't even try to troll with the jet its useless your lines will tangle in no time use a kicker motor troll 2.5 - 3.5 mph  just stay away from the crab traps I have seen guys hook up on them with there donriggers  fishing can be good out there now just fish the tides and pick your good days fished there allot when I lived in delta filled the freezer more than once from fishing there 

italianstallion

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 09:45:01 PM »

thx guys how far is it approx out there from the launch and and any gear specifics and depth? THX GUYS

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 04:57:35 PM »

italianstallion hi --- When ya launch from the #2 boatlaunch it is 5 miles to the mouth of the Fraser R.  Just hang a right after the lighthouse at the end of the jetty. Have a depth/fishfinder as it will come in handy. ----- I will not tell ya the times my heart was in my throat in some NASTY NASTY WATER CONDITIONS..... Now I will ONLY VENTURE out to Sandheads when there is a high tide all day long & light winds. ---- Also stay away from the "big-boys" ....ships tugs ferries carrying truck trailers etc... A little story.... 3 wks ago we were out there & also amongest the boats was this "small car-topper with a 25 hp motor ( boat size looked like it should have a 4-6hp max.) He had max. 8in of free-board (am I saying it right ? anyways water level to top of the sides of his "tiny boat" ------ I've seen car-toppers out there but they were some what hardy types but this boat looked like a boat for Como Lk in Coquitlam.  And get this..... he told us at the launch that 2 wks before he caught  a 36lb Spring !!!! --- We are in an Arima Boat so we feel quite safe nevertheless with the water flow of the main river...currents tides winds .... we always "play it safe. If ya launch over by the tunnel (south side) you can add in at least 15 extra minutes to get out to Sandheads. ---- It takes us aprox 20 -25 minutes to get out there from the ent. of Steveston Harbour to the lighthouse. (doing 18-20 mph) For added safety I "don on" set of amber colored ski googles.... keeps the wind out of my eyes & the glare.... work great. ------------- You may also consider McDonald Beach boat launch near the airport.  Ya can get to lots of areas after getting out from the mouth of the North Fraser R. .............. again high tides low winds are the safest times !!!  Fishing is timing...some days the re is lots of fish in the area & next day nothing. Enjoy your boat.