Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Papermill Dam Fishery Closed - Port Alberni  (Read 11504 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Papermill Dam Fishery Closed - Port Alberni
« on: July 14, 2009, 03:26:50 PM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=118441&ID=recreational

Fishery Notice

Category(s): RECREATIONAL - Salmon
Subject:    FN0512-Recreational - Salmon: Somass Sockeye Recreational Fin Fish Closure - Area 23-1

Area 23-1

Recreational fishers are advised that the tidal portion of the Somass River will close to recreational fin fishing as described below. In consultation with the Area 23 Salmon Harvest Committee, all advisors including participating SFAC advisors agreed that current situation at Paper Mill Dam regarding non compliance issues warrant the closure of this fishery at this time. 

Effective midnight Monday July 13 that portion of the Somass River from the tidal boundary at Paper Mill Dam seaward to a line commencing at a boundary sign in upper Alberni Harbour situated at 49°14.19 north latitude and 124°50.23 west longitude then through the southern most point of Hoik Island then to the flashing green light at the mouth of the Somass River then due east to a boundary sign on the opposite shore will close to all fin fishing effective
12:01am Tuesday July 14th.

VO# 2009-228.

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact the nearest Fisheries and Oceans Canada Office.

And thus the actions of the those who couldn't live within the rules shuts it down for everyone else who could. SAD!  :'(

Nog

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Papermill Dam Fishery Closed - Port Alberni
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 04:03:22 PM »

Only takes a few. :'(

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 04:51:35 PM »

I wish they would close the Fraser down as well.
It seams as though snagging Chinook is now an acceptible form of ummm errr harvesting fish.
Whats the point in having any regulations when you let this mockery take place.
Simply disgusting.

mattyo

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 05:39:26 PM »

I agree guys!!!! Wondering if this has something to do with the rotting sockeye I saw on the news last night? :'(
or maybe something I'm not aware of?

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:55:19 PM »

...or maybe something I'm not aware of?

Yeah. Us. Or at least those who pass themselves off as anglers  >:(

Bummer. :'(
Nog

Richmond

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 08:17:55 AM »

when Socks are in the river they should be left alone.
 they are easy to catch in the ocean.

rivers are for catching hatchery Coho and the prized Chinook.

gregcan

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 01:25:07 AM »

when Socks are in the river they should be left alone.
 they are easy to catch in the ocean.

rivers are for catching hatchery Coho and the prized Chinook.

How about if you prefer not to catch Sockeye in the river then you can choose not to. Some prefer this form of angling to the fuel intensive, overcrowded fishery that the Inlet has become. Myself, I crave a fishery where the fish are not "easy" to catch. In my opinion our tax and license dollars being spent on the Robertson Creek hatchery should allow an in-river retention fishery on the entire Stamp/Somass river system; the Fraser and Skeena systems seem to have viable sport fisheries when run size allows. Some might say Sockeye cannot be caught in freshwater - they use to say that about the saltchuck too; and some still say the same for river Coho and Chinook! I know I have caught more than a few Sockeye upriver without targetting them.

Richmond

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 07:01:13 AM »

How about if you prefer not to catch Sockeye in the river then you can choose not to. Some prefer this form of angling to the fuel intensive, overcrowded fishery that the Inlet has become. Myself, I crave a fishery where the fish are not "easy" to catch. In my opinion our tax and license dollars being spent on the Robertson Creek hatchery should allow an in-river retention fishery on the entire Stamp/Somass river system; the Fraser and Skeena systems seem to have viable sport fisheries when run size allows. Some might say Sockeye cannot be caught in freshwater - they use to say that about the saltchuck too; and some still say the same for river Coho and Chinook! I know I have caught more than a few Sockeye upriver without targetting them.

Socks are not a sport fish in the same sence of a Coho or Chinook.
the show you guy's put on at the Dam proves this.

rides bike to work

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 07:13:53 AM »

Ive had many sockey hit lures on the vedder

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2009, 08:11:02 AM »

Socks are not a sport fish in the same sence of a Coho or Chinook.
the show you guy's put on at the Dam proves this.

I am always confused by comments like this.....  ???   Personally I enjoy the feel of any fish tugging on the end of my line be it a chinook, coho, sockeye or even a pike minnow... and I consider this sport.

Part of the experience is the thought of enjoying a fresh slice of salmon right off the barbecue. The fact that the sockeye is very very very tasty, puts it near the very top of my list of "sport fish".   ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 08:12:43 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

albernidave

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »

Well with all thi licences they are selling and all the fines they were giving out, you think they would keep it open for a little longer

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »

I wish they would close the Fraser down as well.
It seams as though snagging Chinook is now an acceptible form of ummm errr harvesting fish.
Whats the point in having any regulations when you let this mockery take place.
Simply disgusting.

So float fishing with bait is sport fishing?  How is sitting around and hope for a bite be 'sporty'.  ::)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 03:15:59 PM »

Well with all thi licences they are selling and all the fines they were giving out, you think they would keep it open for a little longer

Amen :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 04:18:36 PM »

what was on the news about rotting fish i missed it????????????

albernidave

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 07:54:39 PM »

HERES MY ISSUE. YES ALOT OF WHITE PEOPLE FISH LEGALLY AT PAPER MILL DAM, AND SOME FISH ILLEGAL. NOW THE NATIVES NET THOUSANDS OF FISH, AND FROM WHAT I UNDERSTAND THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE NETTING THEM FOR FOOD FOR THEM SELVES AND THEIR BAND, YET EVERYWHERE YOU LOOK THERES SIGNS SAYING FRESH FISH FORSALE. NOW I AM PRETTY SURE IT IS ABSOLUTLEY ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO SELL THEIR FISH YET THEY DO. WHERE THE DFO THERE. THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR LICENCES WE DO. AND THE OTHER THING IS THERE STILL LINED UP ALONG PAPER MILL DAM JIGGING FISH IN THE TAIL AND YET THERES NO CRACK DOWN ON THAT. BUT YET WE HAVE TO SUFFER BECAUSE SOME WHITE PEOPLE JIG A FEW FISH WHEN THERE JIGGING AND WERE NETTING TO SELL IT ALL. COME ON COMPLETE my smelly socks. OPEN THE DAM BACK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!