Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Smoking Day  (Read 10640 times)

RossP

A Smoking Day
« on: July 04, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »

The day started early with heating the Bradley smoker and getting the trout and the chicken Jerky out of the brine and drying out:

The trout and the jerky hit the smoker at 7:30 in the morning. Next it was time to start getting the stuffed jalepenos ready for the smoker.

The penos were cored out, the seed removed and then stuffed with a combo of precooked italian sausage and cream cheese, then capped off with a piece of bacon.

There is a bowl of chicken jerky fresh out of the smoker next to the penos ready to go into the smoker.

The biggest job of the day was getting the stuffed bacon wrapped chicken breast ready.

But worth it. The chicken breast were stuffed with the same mixture that I used in the Jalepenos.

Here is a pic of the Trout after it came out of the smoker.

the smoker doing it's magic

here is what the chickem breast look like when done. These are from a previous smoke.

I used Alder for the jerky and trout and maple for the Penos and the Chicken Breast.

Ross
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

bcsixgill

Re: A Smoking Day
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:35:02 AM »

Wow, looks great.  I'm tempted to get a smoker and try it out myself.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 11:48:50 AM »

wow looks delicious! I really like the stuffed jalapeno idea done in the smoker, i may have to try that at some point, never thought of it before.

oh, and in regards to the second from last picture, it is best to keep the cold beer in your hand for easy comsumption instead of ontop of the smoker getting warm lol  ;D

RossP

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 11:52:27 AM »

oh, and in regards to the second from last picture, it is best to keep the cold beer in your hand for easy comsumption instead of ontop of the smoker getting warm lol  ;D

Didn,t you see the dead ones on the counter behind the chicken breasts?

bcsixgill

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 11:07:43 PM »

How long do you smoke the jalapenos for?

RossP

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 06:51:01 AM »

How long do you smoke the jalapenos for?

The Jalapenos were smoked for 1 1/2 hours with maple smoke at 22o degrees. The stuffing is Italian Sausage that was precooked and mixed with cream cheese.

Ross

bcsixgill

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 12:04:38 PM »

Thanks for the jalapeno info.  Can't wait to try it.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 11:45:45 AM »

How long was the smoke time on the chickens?

RossP

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 02:10:16 PM »

THe bacon wrapped chicken breast went into the smoker at noon at 240 degrees. They came out at 5:00pm, I maintained a temp of 210 degrees for the full five hours. I use 2 hours of maple smoke.

Ross

pinkwool

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »

did you marinate the chicken before and how?

RossP

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »

did you marinate the chicken before and how?

No marinade for chicken breasts. Just stuff, roll and wrap. Then into a prerheated smoker.

Ross

pinkwool

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 03:40:29 PM »

and what is the stuffing if not a secret?

RossP

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 07:36:32 PM »

and what is the stuffing if not a secret?

No secret I used Italian sausage precooked, mixed with cream cheese.
I have also use Jalapeno Havarti Cheese and Sliced ham.
You can stuff it with anything you want.

Ross

Slamdunk

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »

Smoked up the same on Sunday!! 

For the Jalepenos, I just cut off the tops, cleaned out the seeds and white membrane, poured in two / three drops of Franks Hot Sauce, then stuffed with some Cream cheese with Herbs, and to prevent the Cheese from coming out, plunked a large green olive with Pimento  in the top!!!

Put them in a preheated 220 degree smoker, with just 20 minutes of smoke, for an hour.

They were delicious!!! The Franks Hot sauce permeated the peppers and cheese, and gave a nice hit!! But the surprise was the Pimento olives - very hot!! and I could have had a bunch more - next time I will.

As for the chicken I used this recipe from the Bradley smoker site - and it was great!!

Using skinless/boneless chicken breast, cut the breast into two slices. That would be 4 slices per whole chicken breast. (2 slices per half of breast.) Next use a high quality low salt sandwich ham, provolone cheese (I used goat cheese as I like the stronger flavour) and bacon.

After you cut the chicken into slices, pound them down into a thinner pieces.

Now take 4 slices of bacon and lay them side by side. Take a fifth piece of bacon and lay it across the four strips at the center. Next it is just a matter of layering the stuff on top of the bacon. This is the order in which everything is layered:

1 slice Chicken
      1 slice Ham
      1 slice Cheeze
      1 slice Chicken
      1 slice Ham
      1 slice Cheeze

Now roll your chicken, ham and cheeze up the best you can. I know it is not going to look like it won't roll up correctly, but it rolls up good enough.

Next, tie the roll together using the 4 pieces of bacon and toothpicks. Once that is done, take the cross piece of bacon and pull it up and over both ends of the roll and toothpick it as well.

Heat Bradley at least 30 minutes. Set heat slider 3/4 way to the right. Suggest 4 pucks of your favorite wood. (I used maple this time.) About 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 hours it will be smoked/ cooked.

We have tried 8, then 6, and then 3 pucks worth of smoke. We feel that 4 pucks would be the correct amount that would give you a good balance of flavors without over powering the rest of the items.

A easy to prepare/ smoke/ cook item. Family really loves them. Cook more than you can eat. The following day slice them and use for sandwiches!

silverslab

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »

hot damn if i could take a bite out of my screen i would, those stuffed chicken breast look amazing, and i will definatley be trying the jalepenos like that

thanks for taking the time to post pics