Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What Water Proof/ Water Resistant Digital Camera would you recommend?  (Read 17502 times)

Trophy Fisher

I have a Nikon point and shoot camera but after it got a little wet on a fishing trip to Kawkawa Lake earlier this year is won’t focus anymore. I would like to replace it and think that it would be a good idea if I get a camera that is Water Proof or Water Resistant that has a minimum of 7 megapixels and has a micro and or a super micro shooting mode. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of brands and/or models for me to take a look at.

Any advice would be appreciated

Trophy Fisher

Bird

I would highly recomend the Olympus Stylus 790 SW, I have used it for 2 years without any issues. It has been to sand dunes multiple times, dropped, many underwater pics. 7.1 mpixel, excellent close up capabilities (macro, super macro). I recall seeing the latest model in a London Drugs flyer recently for way less than I paid. I recall seeing it for about $170 on sale.

Hope this helps.

Oh and you can use winter steelheading as mine works fine down to -10c so far.       Cheers

Trophy Fisher

Thanks Bird, I have just read some articles and reviews on the Olympus Stylus 790 SW, after seeing your reply and I am quite impressed and the best part its not that expensive.

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!

Camera popular most among local friendly fishing forums must be the Optio series from Pentax. Water and shock proof and with amazing macro.
 You also have to research new toy from respectable Canon. They just  released new waterproof  point and shoot camera as well.

boscheefish

i second the olympus,i have had her swimming many times,,, so far so good!
long live the vedder

drivel

I have the Pentax Optio and have been very impressed with it.  It takes excellent pictures in most conditions but it has trouble focusing and taking pictures in low light conditions.  My buddy who has the olympus also has the same problem with low light.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

You also have to research new toy from respectable Canon. They just  released new waterproof  point and shoot camera as well.

Do you happen to know the model number ?

Every Day

• Old Timer

I have an Olympus Stylus Tough....
It is drop proof from 6.6 feet, waterproof to 33 ft and freeze proof to -10. It also has 12 mp.
So far it has taken awesome pictures, super clear both above water and underwater, and also very good at taking close-up and moving shots.
It has macros and super macros functions, with the option of an LED light working at the same time to brighten things up (works during movies too).
Only had it for 2 weeks (was a grad present) but am really happy with the preformance so far.

A couple good shots with it so far :

typhoon

• Old Timer

Here's the direction i went - waterproof still and video camera combined:

WATERPROOF down to 5 ft (for 1 Hour)
High Definintion 720p Digital Video
Records onto SD / SDHC card (not included)
9 megapixel still photos
One hand operation
Also operates as a webcam
5x optical zoom
2.5'' LCD
Digital Image Stabilizer
250 grams

It's a bit "cute" for my liking, but it works pretty well so far.
I haven't really tested it - the first real test will come during my Roche trip at the end of May.
I will post pictures and video then.

So far the video action is fairly smooth and crisp, and it records video in MPEG-4 format which takes some fiddling for some video editors. It has a tripod mount, and it can take still pictures while shooting HD Video (though it's really hard to keep it still).

I don't like the pistol grip shooting angle, as it is difficult to stabilize it for still shots.
I also don't like that you need to keep the LCD open and on or the camera turns itself off.
This of course eats batteries if you want to keep the camera running.

The battery it came with lasts 70 minutes, but I picked up 5 more off Ebay for $35.
It also comes with NO memory card, but I picked up a couple low speed SDHC card for $27 each at Wal-Mart.
you can record ~4 hours of 720P video with a single 16GB card.

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/RewardsProductDetails?productId=prod643947

Trophy Fisher

Re: What Water Proof/ Water Resistant Digital Camera would you recommend?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 11:46:39 AM »

Typhoon- I like the Idea of the Sanyo XACTIL HD but I don’t think that I need a video camera at this point,  thanks for posting all that info its amazing what technology can fit in suck a small package.

Rodney- do you own or have you used the Power Shot D10, I had a basic Power Shot 3 years ago and found it very user friendly but the quality of the pictures was not so good, I imagine the newer models will produce a great photo but are they still as user friendly as they used to be.

Everyday- thanks for posting the photos, so far the Olympus Stylus is at the top of my list it seems to be a popular choice.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 11:52:35 AM »

Pentax Optio W60.

I have the W30 and find it takes great pictures.

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 11:56:47 AM »

Pentax have just released a new Optio W80, see here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10272118-1.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 12:00:17 PM »

Thanks for that! Finally a point and shoot that does 30fps video.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 12:00:31 PM »

I like the Pentax optio W60
It has better video quality and a normal SD card which is easy to use.
It will also do time laps photos which can be fun to edit into video.
The lens is exposed to it is easier to manage ie. keep clean and remove water drops which get in the way after submersion if you want a surface photo.
The  Olympus is a great camera too but and  I have one of each and use both but prefer the pentax for a few small reasons.  I also drop it regularly and it has never broke.
There are so many small details.
If you are planning to use it under water I would go for the Pentax.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.