Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bar Fishing Rod and Reel  (Read 2787 times)

TheChumWhisperer

Bar Fishing Rod and Reel
« on: June 24, 2009, 03:09:09 PM »

This year will be my first year bar fishing, and I am basically clueless on what kind of rod and reel combo to buy.  I have been fishing BC for all my life, so therefore I own many different rod and reel combos, but when it to buying somthin big for the mighty Fraser I don't know where to go, or what to buy.  It also doesn't help that all my local Vancouver tackle shops carry the generic small water fishing gear that I already own.  I would also be interested in buying a decent used setup if anybody that reads this has an extra rod or reel they don't want anymore. 

Thanks for any input

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Bar Fishing Rod and Reel
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 05:36:08 PM »

The bar fishing made simple thread Rodney posted should give you the info you need.

I just picked up myself a trophy xl 11' fraser king and a penn 321. Haven't used it yet but look forward to putting it to the test this year.

scuntor

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 05:41:35 PM »

Fraser King for sure. Mooching reels are great, cast nice (after a bit of practice), hold lots of line, and can be fun to play a fish. Barry's just had the Diawa M1 and Shimano 2000 on sale.

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 07:17:58 PM »

Personally I love the Trophy XL rods, they run between $65 - $80 at Army & Navy. They are a great value and the only time that I have ever had one break on me was when I stepped on the tip while getting packed up for a coho trip (too many beer the night before ;D ;D ;D). After buying my first Trophy rod 5 years ago I have purchased 4 more and loved them all. My good Buddie WESTFORM has an awesome Fenwick that has a nice soft tip for Coho fishing and he loves the action that it has.  I like the Abu Garcia bait casters but the Calcutta reels are a great choice as well. For my main line I like 25-30lb maxima chameleon because it is a lot cheaper than the ultra green. Anyway that's my 2 cents

ion

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 07:51:51 AM »

There is a video with a guy barfishing with an mooching setup, in the video "barfishing basics" under "2009's Fraser River chinook salmon opening " article. What rod and reel was used? was the 100 dollar setup from walmart? looks like...
you have to take care with the rod, not all of them support the stress of over 10 ounces of weight...

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 09:16:36 AM »

If you want a good deal, keep an eye on the Langley Army & Navy's checkout counter. In the glass case underneath they always have bait casters on sale, they are rotating more reels in and the reels can be up to $50 off.

scuntor

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 09:26:44 AM »

If you want a good deal, keep an eye on the Langley Army & Navy's checkout counter. In the glass case underneath they always have bait casters on sale, they are rotating more reels in and the reels can be up to $50 off.

Are talking about a massive bait caster you could bar fish with?

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 09:11:33 PM »

7000 abu garcia, and a 11 trophy fraser king is all you need.