Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Return Of The Journal  (Read 4221 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
The Return Of The Journal
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:10:11 AM »

Welcome to the return of The Journal on Fishing With Rod your top fishing web page in the North West for fishing information, tips, tall tales (tails), videos, environmental issues and much more.

It was good to get back to some fishing the past week as the close of the steelhead fishery was a bit of a lull for this angler for a while but now with Summer coming on the calendar yesterday it signals the start of the Summer salmon fishery on the rivers and the big salt water lake. Encouraging reports from Iron Noggin on the West Coast of The Island sure gets the blood pumping in ones veins and it gives one some good dreams at night, of that big one putting you to the test.

The first trip was with Master, Frank, the two Don’s to Cultus Lake to tag 25 pike minnows for the Greg Clark Memorial Family Fishing Derby held on Saturday. Anyone catching one would win $100 on derby day

I was my usual bad self at trying to catch them as I think I got 3 and one of the biggest I caught had swallowed the hook so Nick did not tag it as the hook was hard to remove before it was released. Frank also picked up a nice cutty on a worm, over 2 pounds. Cultus is always worth trying for some trout at this time of year, before the water skiers take over the lake. Jenna who is the photo journalist came out in the boat to get a picture for the pre derby story in the Chilliwack Progress. Jenna even remarked about my skill level. I should have taken the camera and let her fish!!

It took us about 3 hours to get the 25 and we had to take a break to do a TV story with Shaw TV, I was even poor at that as I stumbled on a couple of questions which lead to a retake. When it ran on TV last week one of the shots of me casting saw me making a terrible expression but at least the Toronto Maple Leaf Hat looked good, no I was not wearing it. Maybe that why I was having tough fishing. After we had the 25 tagged fish an enjoyable lunch with the boys with some good fellowship and The Master was his usual self with plenty of stories. Of course he caught the most, maybe that’s why he was so jovial but he always out fishes us.

I then slipped out for the opening of chinooks on Tuesday and picked up a small chinook, was good to see the Maple Leaf Drennan going swimming again. Of course fresh fish again tasted excellent to the palate.

Then it was final day, on Friday getting ready for the pike minnow derby at Cultus Lake.

Friday night was spent sleeping in Leaf Mobile #2 as 4 had to safe guard overnight the setup for the derby at Main Beach. By the way LM #1 had been shuffled off to another Maple Leaf fan, I hope. I shed a few tears as she left me as the two of us shared many solitary fishing trips together, many I shared with you on The Journal over the years. That was after I inherited her from my late dad. I have yet to see her on the roads with her new owner at her wheel.

Before the 4 of went to bed we watched on the TV I brought along Nick, Rodney, Terry and I on our fishing trip to the lakes last year that I filmed. Was good to see the fishing again and the nice rainbows we caught over the 2 days. We have not made the annual lake trip yet. It is a bit hard with Rod in Denmark!!!

Leaf Mobile #2 has yet to be painted blue but maybe she will stay her present color as she is a shy young gal and does not like to be recognized by other anglers she tells me. She is a spry young thing and gives her owner driving pleasure on the journeys she has made so far, good for this pensioner.

The night was short as thinking about the derby ahead does not lend for a sound sleep. Anyway I was up early to put the coffee pot on per Ev’s instructions the night before. As well Buck and Buckeye who spent the night too would enjoy a cup when they got up.

When I was getting the fishing rod out of LM’s cab I heard a crunch sound. Darn I had stepped on the Maple Leaf Drennan; it lay shattered into several pieces on the ground. It would not be going downtown with a fish on the end again. Glad it was dark and no one was around to see its death’s cry.

I do a tour around the tents, the concession booth while the coffee perks. Nothing around, not even the coons that tried to have a late supper in Ev’s concession last year, around midnight. They disturbed my sleep then but I got some exercise chasing the group of masked bandits up a tree.

Buck finally stirs, it’s about 4 am, he likes to get an early start for the derby and always does well they, got about 125 last year all on worms.

We visit and then go for a nice cup of Java. Buck says the coffee as he fills his cup looks a little weak.

I look and say maybe it is not ready yet. Buck then says “You had plugged in the coffee maker with just hot water in it”. What a beak I am, first the Drennan now this. Made for some good laughs anyway.

Finally the coffee does get made and daylight comes, the wind has died down and the sky looks clear. Good as it will make an enjoyable day for all.

Buck pushes off and even though I have not entered the derby I hop in the Leaf Craft #2 and will try it for an hour before I have to start selling tickets etc. Buckeye pushes me off into the calm still waters of Cultus, it quiet too, the best part of the day. Only the birds are singing as the human residents of the lake are still snoring. I wonder if they hear the clank of the oars, I doubt it.

As I row the Leaf Craft to where I will drop my anchor a few fish are dimpling the water, starting their day too, most likely trout. An eagle circles, looking keenly, soaring silently, for an unwary fish. She or he needs food for the young, in a nest high in a conifer tree along the lake shore, some where close.

Both Buck and I have trouble finding any fish for the time we were fishing close together, he after picking up Tyler and his friend move on to another part of the lake. Looking keenly too, like the eagle.

A few other boats are launching, a canoe comes by and works near me, and they too are having trouble getting a bite. Where are they we say to each other, they too move on. I finally get a bite on the rod I am using a Maple leaf DNE, I miss it, I am using a bit of prawn. I am also trying a bit of a hot dog wiener, with no success.

I then switch to bread dough that friend Gary said is good, he gave me some Friday night. I get a bit every time but they turn out to be shiners, about 2 inches long, I land one.

My time is up as I have to get back to Main Beach to sell tickets.

Continue later.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: The Return Of The Journal
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 08:20:38 AM »

As I beach the Leaf Craft I see directors are starting to arrive setting out the prizes, displays are getting set up too. The Master who is looking after the prizes has many, good ones too. Ev, Frank and others have the concession going; the aroma of breakfast combined with the fresh morning air is appealing. I as a joke weight in my shiner even though it is not the fish that are to be weighted in, but I wanted an “I caught a fish” button that all that got a fish received.

People are arriving, boats are plying the waters, looking for the pike minnows I could not locate in the hour or so I tried to coax to bite. The excitement on the faces of the children makes all the work and weeks of planning by the Fraser Valley directors worth it.

People come asking for loaner rods as some media articles said rods would be made available when it should have read they were for being used by children fishing on the docks under the supervision of directors looking after that. Steve is busy rounding and rigging up as many as he can to accommodate the eager anglers. Sometime things go wrong when dealing with the press and you get misquoted. I think the people understood we were doing the best we could.

Ticket sales are brisk and I sell a couple of FVSS memberships for $10. They are hard to sell sometimes; we need more members to support the derby and the work of the FVSS as they work for the angler to retain fishing opportunity. Consider taking one out, PM me if you would like a membership. Many do not know it was the work of the FVSS starting back in 1984 that gave you salmon opportunities for all species on the Fraser and other rivers. Without the hard work by many over the years I believe you would not have had the chinooks reopened back in the 80’s. I will re post the history of the FVSS that I wrote a few years ago.

Nick now has his crew doing the pre draws on tickets bought by Friday night; they are posted on a board. This is done to speed up the prize draw process as last year it took forever to get through the draws.

My wife blue grass band, Work in Process is setting up and starting to play. I record on video one song, Big Fraser, about salmon coming up the mighty Fraser.

Games are in full swing and the kids are enjoying them, the docks are full of fishers. Reports are coming in that the fishing is indeed slow; I had found that out in my brief foray, as I reported above.

Dean Werk of Great River Fishing Adventure has his guides and others in jets boats taking people out for an hour or so. Such a nice touch and many thanks should go to Dean for this as well as the following companies and guides. If you want to book fishing trip consider them as they give freely of their time each derby.
Len’s Sportfishing Adventures – Greg Wolf
BlueWater Rockies Sportfish Guide Co. – Chris Ciesla
Swiftwater Guiding – Oliver Rutschman
Reaction Fly & Tackle – Derick Van Nes
Great River Fishing Adventures – Kevin Hawryluk, Greg Larson, Dean Werk

Andrew my younger son arrives with grandson Max and they get on the booked timed trip I had made with the director who does the booking at his booth. Andrew in his younger days liked to fish and was an accomplished angler back then. Other interests seemed to out weigh fishing the last few years but a 2 year old son starts to bring back memories from his own youth. I was of course so happy to see this.

They are booked on Dean’s boat and I see them off filming them and at the same time hoping they can out fish dad and granddad. When they come back Andrew has out fished dad again with a pike minnow and a released sculpin. Apparently Max enjoyed steering the boat with Dean, his time will come, I hope. Carrying on the many family generations the tradition of angling. They both won draw prizes too, fly and spin combos

The beach is busy and fish start to come to the scales where Fergy and his daughters tabulate the weights.

No tagged fish are coming in and at the end of the derby none were but the people who caught any pike minnows were given a special draw tickets with 5 people that tickets were drawn won $100. Our own Everyday was one of them, lucky guy. He better have taken his girlfriend out for supper instead of buying more fishing tackle.

The derby comes to an end and the awards are handed out, I will re post the results below. Fishing was indeed slow with 473 pike minnows brought to the scales, down from close to 700 caught last year by fewer anglers. Is it the results of the derby, seining of the fish having an effect on the population or was it the change in weather that put the bite off. Who knows as this is fishing. The final count for anglers buying a ticket was 420 adults, and 374 children for a total of 794.

The time has passed quickly, the 2009 Greg Clark Memorial Family Fishing Derby is in the books and now the directors are charged with taking everything down. I am glad the Leaf Mobile #2 is bigger than its predecessor and I get most of my stuff including Leaf Craft 2 in. Bucks wife has to take the left overs to my house which we do after Buckeye, I and Buck's family have supper at Ricky’s.

A good day and derby, tiring for many but rewarding to all because of the enjoyment felt by many families in sharing our great pastime of fishing and taking in the event. Frank told me last night he thinks there was over 1,000 that either fished or came by the displays. A record.

Now it is time for me to start another fishing trip, another journal and maybe a fish or two but I better not try for pike minnows.

The results

Results Junior (under 16)

Greg Clark Memorial Trophy
Largest pike minnow by a junior
Tessa MacKay  .74 kg. Won a Norco Mountain Bike with a $50 Gift Certificate

Second place junior girl
Desiree MacKay .43kg

Third place junior girl
Maya MacKay .42 kg

Junior Boys largest pike minnow

First place
Ethan Lazar .54 kg. Won a Norco Mountain Bike with a $50 gift certificate

Second
Jarrod Beyer .46kg

Third
Dawson Jarvis .46kg

Most pike minnows caught by a junior boy
Matthew Fisher  26

Most  pike minnows caught by a junior girl
Kelly Holdsworth  34

Hidden weight by a junior boy
Jami Weathergill

Hidden weight by a junior girl
Teagan Jones

Adult Division
Largest pike minnow
Scott Manwieller  1.36 kg. Won a 8 foot Streamer XL Pontoon Boat $800 value

Second
Sevana Bury .82 kg

Third
Mark Nuyens .66 kg

Most pike minnows
Troy Huggins 29 Won a PVR machine

Hidden weight
Rob Beckers

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 08:23:18 AM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 11:39:44 AM »

I forgot to mention in The Journal that for the second year in a row we missed the attendance of our Environment Minister, The Honorable Barry Penner.

He was there 2 years ago and we even had him go out for a fishing trip with one of boats. He also gave a nice speech at the awards ceremony and we were able to get some pictures of him.

I am sure he shares his presence at other Family Fishing weekend events throughout the Province and is in much demand. I hope he does not attend our event because a few of us on the derby committee are also involved in the gravel issue on the Fraser River that opposes the Provincial government's stance on this.

It was good to see Diane Janzen a City Councilor from Chilliwack and Owen Skonberg from the Cultus Lake Park's Board attend, they were impressed with the derby they told me.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 11:42:39 AM by chris gadsden »

Sinaran

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 01:45:23 PM »

Thanks for the journal, Chris, great read as usual!!

sounds like no one catches tagged NPM this year?
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 04:09:45 PM »

Good write up Chris. Our crew got in the water just after 6am, and since it was the first time we actually put some fishing time in on cultus we were mainly trying new areas. I decided we would start fishing the creek mouth at lindell and within the first 20 mins we had a decent sized one to the boat, Im kind of curious how it sized along the rest. We werent having to much luck, so we went on the hunt for the next good looking spot. My fishing partner sees a nice little bay, so we park the boat and right away we land a bunch ( The Hot spot). But the winds pick up and we had no anchor so we move elsewhere to find a sheltered part of the lake ( wish we had an anchor)  ::). We later find out that the hot spot we just left, was the same spot where the combined weight winner got all his fish... :P
Had a fun time out there, and now I know where to fish for next time... Also my partner won 100 bucks, which we were first told was 500.  ;D

The Bigger The Better!

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 04:19:07 PM »

Awesome - the Journal has returned!!!  Woohoo!

Great report, Chris... nice to have some success amongst various families out there.  Thanks for the details.
:D
Tex

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 06:26:43 PM »

No tagged fish are coming in and at the end of the derby none were but the people who caught any pike minnows were given a special draw tickets with 5 people that tickets were drawn won $100. Our own Everyday was one of them, lucky guy. He better have taken his girlfriend out for supper instead of buying more fishing tackle.

hehe....
Last year in the raffle every number in the 80's was called besides mine, I deserved it this year  ;D
Apparentally I am going for dinner and a movie tomorrow night......  ::)

Was a pretty good day, fishing was very slow.
We managed 8 to the boat, only 2 were of any real size.
Most people we talked to hadn't even had a bite, so we did ok I guess.

Time to start looking for reds, big trout and summer steel  ;D

Buck_wife

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 08:36:13 PM »

your new truck is bigger than your old one??!! could have fooled me!! :D ;D

thanks for the dinner company. Always good to chill out at the end of the day with good friends   :)
hope you are enjoying your get away.....

Cathy

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 04:12:22 PM »

Good write up Chris. Our crew got in the water just after 6am, and since it was the first time we actually put some fishing time in on cultus we were mainly trying new areas. I decided we would start fishing the creek mouth at lindell and within the first 20 mins we had a decent sized one to the boat, Im kind of curious how it sized along the rest. We werent having to much luck, so we went on the hunt for the next good looking spot. My fishing partner sees a nice little bay, so we park the boat and right away we land a bunch ( The Hot spot). But the winds pick up and we had no anchor so we move elsewhere to find a sheltered part of the lake ( wish we had an anchor)  ::). We later find out that the hot spot we just left, was the same spot where the combined weight winner got all his fish... :P
Had a fun time out there, and now I know where to fish for next time... Also my partner won 100 bucks, which we were first told was 500.  ;D

I hope everyday takes you for supper too. I wish you had stopped for a chat but I was busy and tired. You will have to come out bar fishing when ED comes, that is if you will travel in the Leaf Craft. ;D I better stop posting and get fishing. ;D ;D

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 05:28:09 PM »

Great journal entry, it was entertaining to read.

The pikeminnow derby was a lot of fun. We took my daughter and her three cousins, ages 3-6, out fishing and they all got fish. Was fun seeing how excited they all were.

fish_on

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 10:06:24 PM »

Good stuff...how did you find the time write (not just a few lines!) when you are out there fishin'??

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 07:12:21 PM »

Good stuff...how did you find the time write (not just a few lines!) when you are out there fishing'??
Just visited a library near where I was fishing. ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 07:44:51 PM »

A brief journal with a bit of humour, I know bucks wife will like this one. ::)
While out on my river patrol on the Fraser and Vedder today, before church I was checking the water conditions of both rivers, getting a few tins, checking out some fishing holes for Wednesday's opening, cleaning up some garbage and enjoyed seeing the break of the sun, over the Mighty Fraser River. The partiers were winding down their night of activity.

I wonder if the mosquitoes that must be biting them would be able to fly straight after biting them. With the Fraser dropping the little critters were everywhere. as I drove along a parking area looking at the river I saw a beer tin laying there. Usually I use a picker upper to retrieve the 10 cent tin. This time I just leaned out the door and attempt to pluck it up. The new Leaf Mobile is higher than its sister so you have a little more distance to reach the quarry.

Well I guess I reached out to far, lost my balance and did a somersault over the tin, worth a 9 at least. The Leaf Mobile was still in gear and started driving solo. ???

Well now, I jump to my feet and start to chase her as she headed towards the murky Fraser. Wouldn't that be great, had her a couple of month and she ends up drowning. Being fleet a foot because of my speed on the badminton court I tracked her down after about 50 feet of travel jump in and bring her under control. ;D ;D

I then started shaking a bit but except for a bit of a sore shoulder and of course embarrassed I was glad no one was seeing this performance but maybe someone was watching over me and the Leaf Mobile as it was Sunday so who knows. Your laugh at my expense today, if you wish.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 08:32:53 PM by chris gadsden »

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »

Sorry but I had to laugh  ;D Part of what i find funny, is I could almost picture myself doing the same thing. Atleast all ended well and the leaf mobile is dry to live another day.

Skunked Again

• I Lurk therefore I am.
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 07:15:07 PM »

Great story Chris.  I've enjoyed your journals over the years.  Keep it up.