Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Report From The Office Of The Federal Auditor General Re Gravel  (Read 4251 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Recieved today the report from the 2009 Spring Report of the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development. I have extracted some from the report that is pertaining to the gravel removal on the Fraser River that we have been working on for some time. I think you will agree we were correct on taking this on and some politicans have not been up front in what they have been saying. Interesting it was released on the day of the election.

Project proposal. Fisheries and Oceans Canada, the Province of British Columbia, local governments, and First Nations agreed to gravel removal from the Fraser River, largely for flood and erosion management. Gravel deposits and the shifting flow of the Fraser River create bars, islands, and secondary channels between Hope and Mission, British Columbia. This area has high-quality habitat for at least 28 species of fish. The Department determined that gravel removal was harmful to fish habitat.

In 2004, the Department signed a Letter of Agreement with the Province of British Columbia to develop a five-year Gravel Removal Plan. Numerous project proponents (companies interested in removing gravel and selling it) submitted proposals to the Department. A number of ministerial authorizations have been issued and continue to be issued.

The following information provides examples of the Department’s approach to approving and monitoring these proposals and highlights some of the challenges it faces in implementing the Habitat Policy.

Flood control. Engineering and scientific studies at different sites, some commissioned by the Department, concluded there was no reduction in the flood profile after gravel removal. These studies stated that changes in the flood profile were minimal in the removal area and were local to the removal site. Thus, gravel removal would not significantly affect the potential for flooding.

Damage to sensitive habitat. Projects in areas that are sensitive habitat for both salmon and sturgeon are high risk, but adequate information on fish stocks to assess project impacts was lacking for a number of the ministerial authorizations for gravel removal. In 2006, improper construction of a causeway for accessing one gravel removal site resulted in a side channel downstream drying up, exposing salmon nests and resulting in the loss of up to 2.25 million pink salmon.

Lack of compensation plans. The ministerial authorizations did not include compensation plans. The Department believes that compensation plans are not required on the assumption that new gravel will replace gravel removed over one to three spring runoffs. We found no documentation in the project files to support this position for large gravel removals, although there is evidence to the contrary. For example, 300,000 tonnes of gravel were mined from Foster Bar in 1995, but it has not been replaced to date. The Department advises us that the requirement for habitat compensation will be reviewed as part of the renegotiation of the 2004 Letter of Agreement, using the results of post-construction monitoring studies, lessons learned from removals under the 2004 agreement, and contemporary research.

Lack of monitoring. Although proponents are required to submit monitoring plans and surveys, there were few on file. These documents specify the conditions prior to gravel removal, during removal, and after removal, as required under the terms of the 2004 Letter of Agreement.

Lack of enforcement. The Department did not take enforcement action after a proponent failed to comply with the conditions of a ministerial authorization by exceeding the volume of gravel allowed to be extracted, destroying habitat, and mining outside the approved area. We could not find documentation to support the Department’s lack of enforcement action. The Department advised us that it was short of resources at the time of the proponent’s actions and that it is considered too late to pursue charges.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:57:08 PM by chris gadsden »

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: Report From The Office Of The Federal Auditor General Re Gravel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:38:31 PM »

thanks for posting Chris.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 05:17:59 PM »

thanks for posting Chris.
Your are welcome and here is the link for the complete report if you have a couple of hours to read and digest.

The 2009 Spring Report of the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development contains the following chapters:

Chapter 1—Protecting Fish Habitat. The chapter looks at the federal government’s activities carried out under the Fisheries Act to protect fish habitat from adverse impacts of human activity. The audit examined how Fisheries and Oceans Canada administers and enforces the Act’s fish habitat protection provisions that prevent the harmful alteration, disruption, or destruction of fish habitat. It also looked at how Environment Canada administers and enforces the Act’s provisions that prohibit the deposit of harmful substances into waters frequented by fish. The audit focused largely on the protection of fish habitat in fresh water and estuaries.

Chapter 2—Kyoto Protocol Implementation Act. The chapter is the first report by the Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development under the Kyoto Protocol Implementation Act. The Act requires that the Minister of the Environment prepare and implement an annual climate change plan that includes a series of measures aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The audit looked at the extent to which Environment Canada’s climate change plans for 2007 and 2008 meet selected requirements of the Act. It also looked at whether the Department has the systems to monitor and report on emission reductions achieved by selected measures included in the annual climate change plans.

http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/internet/English/parl_cesd_200905_e_32544.html

« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 05:20:36 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »

I have been told this committee will be coming to the Coast around the middle of June to go into further detail on this. I will post more info when I hear in case anyone wishes to attend.

fishyfish711

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 01:21:47 PM »

The Department determined that gravel removal was harmful to fish habitat.
A number of ministerial authorizations have been issued and continue to be issued.
Was no reduction in the flood profile after gravel removal.
Thus, gravel removal would not significantly affect the potential for flooding.
Damage to sensitive habitat. Projects in areas that are sensitive habitat for both salmon and sturgeon are high risk, but adequate information on fish stocks to assess project impacts was lacking for a number of the ministerial authorizations for gravel removal. In 2006, improper construction of a causeway for accessing one gravel removal site resulted in a side channel downstream drying up, exposing salmon nests and resulting in the loss of up to 2.25 million pink salmon.

How do you interpret this Chris?  I don't understand what is being said here. Thank you. Below.

Lack of compensation plans. The ministerial authorizations did not include compensation plans. The Department believes that compensation plans are not required on the assumption that new gravel will replace gravel removed over one to three spring runoffs. We found no documentation in the project files to support this position for large gravel removals, although there is evidence to the contrary.

Lack of enforcement. The Department did not take enforcement action after a proponent failed to comply with the conditions of a ministerial authorization by exceeding the volume of gravel allowed to be extracted, destroying habitat, and mining outside the approved area. We could not find documentation to support the Department’s lack of enforcement action. The Department advised us that it was short of resources at the time of the proponent’s actions and that it is considered too late to pursue charges.

Lack of monitoring. Although proponents are required to submit monitoring plans and surveys, there were few on file. These documents specify the conditions prior to gravel removal, during removal, and after removal, as required under the terms of the 2004 Letter of Agreement.

I tried to break down the main points. Half way through I found myself very confused by what was being said. If I understand correctly and I may be way off is 1) I give credit for the assessment of the situation. Recognizing damaged done and mistakes made. 2) No compensation for the damage done and mistakes made due to lack of resources. Why was the work allowed to be done when it could not be properly monitored? In layman's terms what is this really saying? Your thoughts Chris? Who commissioned this report? It is upseting that no plans are in place to replace the 2.25 million pink salmon that may not return to the Fraser.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:23:51 PM by fishyfish711 »

ejeffrey

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 03:59:54 PM »

A story on this report made the front page of the Vancouver Sun.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:24:34 PM »

A story on this report made the front page of the Vancouver Sun.
Yes, I have posted it under the gravel thread.