Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Corn?  (Read 8013 times)

coho killer

Corn?
« on: May 09, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »

I was told to use corn by someone at a local slough. I also was told using corn was illegal? If it isnt what kind should i use?

Thx

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
Re: Corn?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 08:17:10 PM »

Corn has low nutritional value, but causes no ill effect to fish. It is legal where bait fishing is legal.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:25:34 PM »

Works for carp.

coho killer

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 10:29:28 PM »

ya thats what i want to target but what kind of corn should i use?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 10:41:27 PM »

ya thats what i want to target but what kind of corn should i use?
The Master uses kernel corn from a can.

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 11:57:51 PM »

Heard that too that it is ilegal but i don't think so. Canned corn works pretty good. I caught most of the carp with that back in europe. Put 4 or 5 on a size 2 hook. Frolic, dog food works good too but you have to fish it at a hair rig and i don't know if you can get Frolic here in Canada.

salmon river

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 03:16:44 AM »

I have heard from many corn is illegal as bait but no one can show me in the regs that it is. As long as no bait ban it is legal to use.

Corn works great for carp (and bullhead lol) I have also caught rainbows over the years with corn too.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 08:28:52 AM »

One thing I've always pondered- The human digestive track doesn't completely digest corn completely. What happens in a trout's digestive system?
http://

David

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »

Corn is a tremendous bait for carp and trout alike!  It's been used for decades in the UK, to great effect.  In fact, back in the late 70's early 80's there were a number of waters where corn had been overused and the fish had started to clue into it, so what people did was to dye it with red food colouring and add a strawberry flavouring to it.  Deadly method with all of those weary fish turning on to it again!  The most economical (i.e. cheaper than canned corn niblets) corn to use is frozen corn. 
It is not an illegal bait here, as long as it isn't used on bait ban waters!  However it must be remembered that raw corn/dry corn must never be introduced into a water as it swells when it starts to take on water and if this happens inside a fish's belly....  I'm sure you can imagine the consequences!
Have fun fishing with corn!

David

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 11:41:46 AM »

Sorry Nova, to answer your question.  Pretty much the same as happens in a human digestive track.  The fish doesn't glean too much nutritional value from corn, but it doesn't hurt them (as long as it isn't raw corn) and they certainly do like it!

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 01:18:43 PM »

Sorry Nova, to answer your question.  Pretty much the same as happens in a human digestive track.  The fish doesn't glean too much nutritional value from corn, but it doesn't hurt them (as long as it isn't raw corn) and they certainly do like it!

Boy, I'm betting it mist be equivalent to eating a cheese ball to them. ;D Thanks, good to know.
http://

PistolPete

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 04:38:38 PM »

Corn works for carp because the creek's or slough are along corn fields. Thus the corn would fall in the water. And where the Master gets em there used to be a cannery (corn) there.

David

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 06:27:51 PM »

Corn works for carp because they like it.  I've succesfully caught carp from hundreds of fisheries around the world that are knowhere near cornfields.  Carp also love luncheon meat (spam), bread, plus plenty of other baits that don't usually make it into a waterway unless an angler puts them there.  They are indeed a strange fish that eat strange things, I'm not sure if anyone has ever been able to work out why they eat these things, they just do.
Here is a link showing just some of the available flavourings used in carp fishing.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Liquid-Baits_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ0QQftidZ2QQtZkm

DAWGMAN

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 07:22:13 PM »

we use corn for ice fishing for rainbows. they  seem to like it.

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 07:42:14 PM »

Ooooh boys... :D Now it's getting interessting ;)