Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hook question in local lake  (Read 3748 times)

CanadianDavid

hook question in local lake
« on: April 29, 2009, 06:15:28 PM »

May I use tribe hook in local lake for trout fishing. The regulation says barbed hook is allowed in lake, but didn't mention anything about tribe hook.

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: hook question in local lake
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:07:06 PM »

They are called "treble" hooks.
I believe they are aloud... but why would you need one when you already have a barbed hook.
All you are doing is destroying the fishs' mouth, what happens if it is too small and you want to let it go  ???
I wish DFO would just make all water single barbless hook only.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:12:28 PM »

The reg's say single barbless hook in all streams in region 2. So I would think that you can use a treble hook in a local lake. I usually take them off lures and put a decent as in sharp single barbless hook on lures. Then I don't have to worry about breaking the law,or changing the hook if I use the lure on a stream. I don't see an advantage to using them for fishing for trout in a lake. It's easier to release them on a single hook.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:38:47 PM »

treble hooks are perfectly fine to use in lakes unless otherwise specified. please check the reg's for the lake you plan to fish. there are lots of lakes that have single barbless restrictions, most of which also have bait bans  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

David_R

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:24:11 AM »

I think barbed hooks are great for young children still getting the hang of fishing. The concept can be pretty foreign to them at times... getting rid of barbs completely doesn't make sense.

Once you can figure things out on your own a little more fishing barbless is the better option. Unless you are a lazy fisherman or like to take naps while you fish.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »

i rarely use barbs when fishing. i have had many fish wake me up while chironomid fishing in my old float tube and i think i lost a very small percentage of them  ;D as long as you keep the line tight you will land the majority of fish on barbless hooks. I think using barbless for kids is a good idea just incase they hook themselves you dont have to push the hook through to pinch the barb to back it out  :o which hurts alot and the kid would be screaming the entire time forcing you to rush it and actually making it hurt more
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 10:42:10 AM »

May I use tribe hook in local lake for trout fishing. The regulation says barbed hook is allowed in lake, but didn't mention anything about tribe hook.

For Region two:

You can't have more than one hook on your fishing line
Streams - single barbless hook
Lakes - single or treble barbed hook, with exceptions (see table of water specific regulations, for example single barbless hook is required at Alta Lake)

Definitions:
Single - a hook with a single point
Treble - a hook with three points (not three hooks on your line)

janders

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 11:54:11 AM »

Personally i dont think there needs to be a ban on barbed hooks either. all you need is more education of fisherman on the pros and cons of useing useing barbs when your fishing and less of those goofs i always see keeping tiny rainbows in grocery bags and 5 times their limit!

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009, 09:36:23 AM »

there is no reason why you would use a treble hook in any of the local lakes.  one single barbless hook will do the trick.  Treble hooks cause way too much damage to the fish, but if you are like most guys out there and keep everything you catch, regardless of size, then it really makes no difference what you use............