Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jetboat on the Chilliwack River  (Read 21219 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Jetboat on the Chilliwack River
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 10:33:29 AM »

The topic is the Chilliwack River so I 'm not sure why other rivers are being referenced.

The point that is being missed here is that running a jet boat up the Chilliwack is showing disrespect for not only shore fishermen but also for the many people that come to the river to enjoy a nice quiet walk or just to sit and listen to the water flow. Running a jet boat on the Chilliwack is the equivalent of someone running a mufflerless vehicle back and forth in front of someones house. It shows lack of respect.

There is also an argument that jet boats do increase the erosion of the banks of the river. While everyone agrees that erosion is already taking place by the natural flow of the river, no one can argue that a jet boat doesn't increase the erosion.

I have a jet boat and I would never run it up the Chilliwack.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:39:20 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

buck

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 10:25:40 PM »

It's interesting to hear all of the talk about jet boats tearing up the river. I haven't heard people complaining about the destruction taking place when they mine the river every second year.
It's just the opposite, people are talking about the great holes created that hold large numbers of coho. Gravel mining is far more destructive than the occasional jet boat.
Jet boats have been running the river the last few years mainly during spring freshet, at a time when the river is closed to angling. It's a time when one can walk the rotary trail and possibly
have the opportunity to see one crash into the Dyke.. Two have done so already $$$$$$$$$$.

dspot

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 11:17:12 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of jetboats on the chilliwack, but as long as there aren't way too many of them and the people using them are respectful it's not that big of a deal.

maverick

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 08:43:26 AM »

Alwaysfishin who cares if a jet boat wake splashes up onto a river bank and maybe moves some loose fine sediment or shifts a rock when the river flow is going to completely shift the bank anyway. I don't think this has any bearing on whether a jet should be allowed on the Vedder. If you are going to suggest that jet boats are noisy and therefore they should not be allowed on the river then why should they be allowed on any river. I would never run my jet up the Vedder either because it is a river I prefer to walk but I will defend anyones right to run the river if they want. As it was mentioned earlier be careful what you wish for because if this did get any momentum you might be trying to prevent the closure of jets on the flows you do use your boat on.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 09:29:16 PM »

It's about respecting the resource and other peoples right to enjoy it.

I would suggest that the only people jetting up the vedder are individuals who haven't considered how intrusive their actions are and/or in some cases don't care....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

tnt

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 01:49:03 PM »

I hope everyone driving past my house in Yarrow going to the river drives a Hybrid ..... the noise pollution is very intrusive.....
Just because you have a pin rod doesnt mean you know how to fish it.....

bluesteele

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 09:13:50 PM »

Thats good Thom  ;D LMAO

Were talking about the Vedder guys. MOst heavily fished urban river their is. When you goto the Canadian Tire of
Rivers you gotta expect this people.

Jet boats have no effect on this fishery at all.
Enough said.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:21:28 PM by Rodney »

odesseus

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 09:12:11 PM »

It's always going to be a problem when people pursuing different activities are on the same patch. Just keep it respectfull is all we can ask because we all have a right to be there I assume.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 09:33:02 PM »

Three pages worth of discussion, but are jetboats on the vedder really a big problem? I am on the vedder a lot as i live five minutes away. Not just fishing but also going for walks with my kids or dog, etc. I can say i have only seen a hand full of jets on the river and all but once have been in may or june. I have never had one pass me by as i fished. I did hear of a couple in the canal around februaryish but i would hardly say that would consitute being a problem. As with anything, it all comes down to being respectful and responsible and everyonce in a while one or a couple of idiots do something that gives a bad taste in some peoples mouths, but that one or a couple of people hardly reflect the actions of everyone.

Today, while driving over the keith wilson bridge, i did see to guys on jet skis in the canal. I can say thats a first as far as i have seen before lol