Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jetboat on the Chilliwack River  (Read 21290 times)

penn

Jetboat on the Chilliwack River
« on: April 28, 2009, 10:11:15 AM »

Went out on Sunday afternoon . Fished in the peach area . Not much happening , very few guys fishing. No problem though water condition was improving so I thought I'd stay awhile and work the runs .
Then up the river comes a full sized inboard jet boat powering it's way up the river full throttle , zig-zagging through all the holes ! Goes way upriver past me . Well so much for working the runs after that A-hole scared off every fish in the system . So I start going downstream to see if things have settled down below me , but nothing anywhere . Then after a while I go back upstream , I see said A-hole in the jetboat flying full throttle back down again ! So I give up on the area and hike way upstream . ( This was a big Fraser river style v-8 boat 18-19 footer with about 5 passegers inside) I fish up there for awhile and then return later to see if it's settled down .
Well wouldn't you know it , as I'm waking back down  , a second jetboat comes up the river , although this one smaller with only a 25hp outboard jet and just one guy in it . ::) , So anyway I continue hiking back down to my origanal area , When I see A-hole # 1 come flying back up the river again , full throttle again of course too ! >:(
So as I arrive back where I started out I'm thinking , when he returns I'll try and see If I can get his boat # , and report him to DFO the next day , and discuss with them if this is ok powering up and down the Chilliwack river with big jet boats . But he's gone a long time upstream and fishing at this point seems futile so I did go home before the idiot returned .
So any one here know if there is no restictions on boating in the chilliwack river? It would seem to me to be totally inappropriate and very distruptive to all the runs. This is the second time I've seen a jet boat up there . Last time was a number of years ago . This time two boats and atleast two passes at full throttle for the one boat. If this is not illegal IMO , it should be . It may be a case of no rules yet because until now it's not been a problem . But if this became a trend I can't see dfo not putting the stop to it.

penn

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:44:33 AM »

So anyway i phoned the DFO and got the run around . Call transport Canada , call the RCMP , no speed restiction on the Chilliwack as far as they know so it's okay with them. ::) No one cares apparently.

river walker

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 04:02:07 PM »

that's what jet boat's are for.
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

SmokeyRiver

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 05:21:08 PM »

LoL, There's a reason they are full throttle also..

fletcher

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 06:35:39 PM »

Penn,

Next time take advantage of the situation.  Hammer the hole the sled just went through,  you'll be surprised.  I've hooked fish many times after a sled runs through the hole.  Gets the buggers moving and they will bite!  On another note,  ever try throwing rocks in a hole that you know has fish in it but they won't bite.  This works too.  Trust me,  give it a try but I wouldn't recommend it on a hole with other people in it.  Just my two cents.

steelhead

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 08:05:45 PM »

When I guided on the Skagit years ago we always would, after no action on a couple good drifts run our boats right up the middle of the hole,,,,,,it would turn on ANY fish laying quietly and the BITE was on. Have done this MANY times , but we'd NEVER pull this when it effected shore fisherman.
Now as far as ROCKING a hole its highly illegal south of the border,,,,,,,,but DAM it also works too. You are not allowed , as its written  " to molest fish with thrown or a protruding object"   what ever that means.
Most jet owners are highly respectfun of everyone but as always a FEW make us All look bad and that burns my butt. Now a V8 inboard is BS in the Chill/Vedd.

spey

Re: Jetboat on the Chilliwack River
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:29:32 PM »

I wish i had a jet boat to run up the vedder  :'(

blader

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 09:02:52 AM »

Why is it a bad thing stirring up fish? You probably missed out on some good fishing by walking away. The rock trick also works amazing over hunkered down fish. I love when Jets fly past me on the Stamp

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 09:18:06 AM »

I was fishing the bucket (on the stamp) once...8 guys within 200 feet of eachother and 0 fish for 45-60 minutes.  Jet boat goes screaming by and 5 fish got hooked in 15-20 imuntes. 

deepcovehooker

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 09:31:12 AM »

The first time I saw one going up the river I was in water up to my waist.  Like an idiot I just stood there watching it go by.  Suprise it sends out 1 to 1 1/2 foot waves.  Could not move to fast so got water over the top of my waders.  Its a cold way to learn your lesson. 

maverick

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 10:15:06 AM »

I don't know how familar anyone is with the Bow River in Alberta but I was on it one day in my 17.6' northriver and saw a 22' Thunderjet turn out of the Bow River and go up the Highwood River at full throttle. What was remarkable about that was the size of the boat and that the Highwood is only about a third of the width of the Vedder. I have been on skinny water in my boat but I would guess that boat was over twice as long as that river is wide for most of the first three miles he travelled upstream.

teamwooldridge

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 07:33:29 PM »

I don't see any problem jet boating the vedder as long as angling pressure is light and the water is up. I had my 20 footer up past vedder crossing 2 years ago about this time of year when angling pressure was minimal.  Also like others said it doesn't put fish off the bite for long and it can stir up stale fish.  My home river is the skagit, we use a technique called sidedrifting to catch steelhead it invloves running the boat upstream, drifting down with the kicker and drifting bait, pink worms, ect.  Many times we have fish bite right under the boat with the kicker runnng...  So don't be too worried about the boat spooking the fish, give it 2-4 minutes two settle down, then start casting again.

shortfloat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »

Running a Jet boat on the Vedder/Chilliwack is perfectly legal along with most rivers in the lowermainland. With saying this, most people respect the fishermen on the river and dont bother until the river is closed to fishing in June.

salmon river

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 11:54:19 PM »

it's very honourable that you care penn but as you have found out, you are the only one disturbed by the matter so let it rest.  :)

Why??

That is the problem with people and society nowadays, they let too much 'rest' .  he should pursue this and ignore the people that try to prevent him.  Change starts one person at a time, keep at it.

I am surprised boats are allowed on the Chilliwack at all, they should not be,

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 07:22:14 AM »

The vedder/chilliwack is a river for all to use. becareful what you wish for.