Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: halibut limit  (Read 5825 times)

fengyuanfei

halibut limit
« on: April 28, 2009, 09:33:28 AM »

anyone has an explanation as to why fisheries reduced the limit on halibut off Ucuelet this year???

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Re: halibut limit
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »

Your DFO under guidance from the Conservatives have given the halibut quota to the commercial sector and restricted the recreational catch.

Verdi

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 03:55:19 PM »

I i hear it put the government thought it was a better idea to make  $5 a pound for halibut in the commercial sector than $50 a pound by the recreational fishery.

I guess DFO is bad at math..

fengyuanfei

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 05:05:44 PM »

it just makes no sense, now everyone is after the big ones only...they should have reduced the lbs you can keep to 50 instead...who cares most people only end up catchin 12lbs chickens

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 10:03:36 PM »

Sounds like there is a protest brewing on Vancouver island by sport fishers addressing this topic.

Bring your truck with boat.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

fengyuanfei

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 11:22:54 AM »

there should be protests...these DFO folks are total nonsense...

ejeffrey

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 02:57:56 PM »

Is this something they might review mid-season and increase? Or do they just set it once for the year and that's it?

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 06:43:16 AM »

I have heard that this new regulation will likely be lifted for august.
What is interesting is that the commercial guys have not made their quotas for about 10 years yet their quota remains the same.  Sounds a bit fishy to me.  Again this is only hearsay.
Any one have an explanation?
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

DAWGMAN

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 06:09:45 AM »

reducing the limit, you think it might hurt some of the guiding business?

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 12:52:06 PM »

I was watching t.v last week and there was a meeting of DFO and other government officials. This topic was addresses and the out come is not that good for all species of fish. DFO from what I could hear is that halibut will never be the same for sportfishing. Commercial will get the majority of the halibut and salmon because they need the money to live where we just fish for fun. The other thing that was said was fish farms which DFO calls a sustainable fishery ??? More money will be spent on the farm then on hatchery fish that in the long run will cost more money. I think we should all find a way that this will all stop so that our way of fishing does not get lost by some government ahole that thinks are rights mean nothing.  :'(
The other think that was talked about but was unclear was about the guides. If there is any closers that the guides would still be able to take clients out but would not be able to retain any fish ? This is the only way that would not hurt the guiding business and would be the only way to save some sort of sportfishing.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:15:14 PM by armytruck »
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

ejeffrey

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »

Guides and commercial will get the majority of the halibut because they need the money to live where we just fish for fun.

Aren't guides considered sportfishermen? If you hire a guide to take you out, your limit doesn't increase does it?

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 02:44:40 PM »

Guides and commercial will get the majority of the halibut because they need the money to live where we just fish for fun.

Aren't guides considered sportfishermen? If you hire a guide to take you out, your limit doesn't increase does it?

Thanks ejeffrey I ment to fix that befor I posted it.
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 12:31:03 PM »

Your DFO under guidance from the Conservatives have given the halibut quota to the commercial sector and restricted the recreational catch.

far from the truth. The Liberal goverment back in 2003 included the sport fishery with the commercial fishery and allotted sport fishing 12% of the avalable quota. In recent years the total allowable quota has been reduced so to meet the international agrrement on halibut quota the sport fishery has had to take a cutback. Sport fishermen are allowed 12% of the total allowable harvest of halibut on the BC coast and this years total poundage allowed is around 750,000. When factoring the number of anglers, days fished, the limit was changed to 1 a day to hopefully allow a longer season than if the limit was kept at 2 a day.