Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Olfaction is Impaired by an Environmentally Realistic Pesticide Mixture  (Read 3677 times)

mykisscrazy

Pesticides, Fertilizers, Fire Retardants, and many other chemicals being leeched into our waterways.
But go ahead keep on blaming Aquaculture

Salmon Olfaction is Impaired by an Environmentally Realistic Pesticide Mixture

Abstract
Many of the salmon-producing waterways of the world contain pesticides known to harm olfactory sensory neurons (OSNs) that are critically important throughout the salmon lifecycle. The ability of OSNs to retain functionality after exposure to complex pesticide mixtures remains unknown. Here we show that a 96-h exposure to an environmentally realistic concentration of a mixture made from the ten most frequently occurring pesticides in British Columbia’s Nicomekl River reduced the OSN responses of rainbow trout to a behaviorally relevant odorant. Odor-evoked responses were not altered by exposure to one-fifth of the realistic concentration, and this may have been due an upregulation in detoxification enzymes, since glutathione-S-transferase activity reached a maximum (>32% above control) at this concentration. Mixture exposure did not help to prevent OSN impairment from a second, brief (5 min) exposure to a higher (20×) concentration of the mixture, suggesting longer-term, low-concentration exposures may not prevent damage from brief, high-concentration pulse exposures. This study demonstrates that environmentally observed pesticide mixtures can injure salmon olfactory tissue, and by extension, contribute to the threatened and endangered status of many salmon stocks.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer

I've seen some info on this coming out of Atlantic Canada-New Brunswick I think it was-it's not surprising.

Forestry is no friend of fish never has been.

marmot

• Old Timer

I've seen some info on this coming out of Atlantic Canada-New Brunswick I think it was-it's not surprising.

Forestry is no friend of fish never has been.

You can extend that comment SS, forestry has never been a friend to ecosystems, period.  It would be a good thing for everybody if the use of pesticides in agriculture was 0.  I happily pay more for food that is grown organically knowing that not only am I protecting my own body by doing so but also making a conscious choice to support farming that is not "as" detrimental to ecosystems.  Its the number one thing you can do to change the use of pesticides....don't buy products from companies that rely on them.  Its too bad that the majority of people are too ignorant to care one way or the other about their bodies, their childrens bodies, or the world we live in.  That goes for any chemical compound, whether it is recognized as environmentally "ok" or not.  We just tinker TOO damn much.

Dave

• Old Timer

I'm with Mykisscrazy on this one - it is so easy to blame aquaculture for the decline in salmon stocks. Definitely there are problems but the industry is relatively young.  We still seem to problems raising beef and fowl, and man has been doing that for a bit longer than raising salmon.
Climate change and the problems too many people create (habitat loss, pollution, over fishing, etc) are the primary reason there are fewer fish today.  And it will get worse. I predict the extinction of several summer run sockeye stocks and far fewer salmon of all species above Hells Gate within the next few decades.
The Cheam Band must be chuckling - they used to get all the blame!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy

They create their own brand of problem instead:

http://www.thefishsite.com/articles/658/a-new-reality-beckons-in-chile

this site also seems to be the news center for fish farming, Shrimp farming etc etc
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?