Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old film on the Fraser  (Read 4728 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Old film on the Fraser
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:22:56 PM »

For those who like some historical footage of the huge runs that came up the Fraser. Grab a cold one, sit back and weep.

http://www.nfb.ca/film/red_runs_the_fraser/
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Old film on the Fraser
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:50:48 PM »

Nice link, thanks.

skibumAB

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 10:35:20 PM »

Back in 1949 they worked pretty hard at saving the salmon on the Fraser. Today the governments would rather have fish farms and gravel extraction.
Thanks for the post, now where is my beer. ???

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 06:45:12 AM »

Facinating watch.  Reminds me of the old "whose who of hinterland" clips they used to play on tv when I was a kid in the late 70's/early80's.  Also makes me think of Lorne Green.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:51:40 AM »

thanks for the link, i enjoyed that

MrGrey1

• Welcome to Our Trout Float Site!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 12:10:44 PM »

Very nice film. I wonder what the river will look like 20 years from now..? Can we save it or improve on it?

Thanks, MrGrey.
MrGrey1

spey

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 09:41:42 PM »

awsome video

Slamdunk

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 01:58:21 PM »

Around the 4:30 mark of the film they mention about the tons of rock that constricted the river. I wasn't aware of that, so off to Wikipedia I went for the history of Hell's Gate.....

The first recorded history of Hell's Gate is found in the explorer Simon Fraser's journal, 1808. There he describes this narrow passage as an "awesome gorge" He also says that "surely this is the gate of hell". On June 26, 1808 Fraser passed along the cliffs on a series of bridges and ladders built by local Nlaka'pamux people.

Construction of the Canadian Northern Railway in 1914 blasted thousands of tons of rock into the river below the railroad grade which further constricted the river and damaged sockeye salmon runs. Thirty years of scientific planning and several years' construction have not completely repaired the damage. Hell's Gate's fishways, built by a joint Canadian-American Commission, were completed in 1946.

The route of the present Trans-Canada Highway through the Fraser Canyon parallels, roughly, the fur brigade trail of the Hudson's Bay Company, which was built over the shoulder of the Cascade Mountains high above the east bank of Hell's Gate, as the route north from Kequaloose (opposite Spuzzum) was completely impassable, even for mules. Beginning with the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush of 1858 Canyon a usable mule trail was built through the Canyon towards the 'Eye of Morello', a route which the new colonial government invested in heavily to build the Cariboo Wagon Road. The Cariboo Road was completed in 1864 but destroyed by CPR construction in the 1880s. A road through the canyon was not opened again until 1922 as the Cariboo Highway.

The Canadian Pacific Railway runs through the canyon. Construction through the canyon took four years and was completed in 1884. Across the river is the Canadian National Railway. Originally called the Canadian Northern Railway, this stretch was completed in 1914. Rockslides during construction narrowed the channel just above Hell's Gate, resulting in the need for the present fishways.

odesseus

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 04:57:18 AM »

awesome video

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 10:07:14 AM »

Nice vid, and they all lived happily ever after.........not.

Fishmaster J

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »

Great clip, brought some tears to my eyes...