Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: never hunted before  (Read 6360 times)

Funeral Of Hearts

never hunted before
« on: March 26, 2009, 02:34:27 PM »

Well I've fished for many years and now I think i would like to give hunting a go.
I am just a little confused on the steps I need to take and in what order. I have tried looking it up on the govenment websites but i went in circles and got dizzy.
So, what would someone who has never even held a gun need to do in order to get licensed? What do i need to do first?
Thanks.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: never hunted before
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »

You need 2 things: Your PAL (possession and Acquisition licence) which allows you to own and carry a firearm. Then you need to take a hunter safety training course or challenge the exam (C.O.R.E.). This allows you to get a hunter number which you need to buy a hunting license.

Your best bet is to go into your local gun shop and they likely have some contact numbers and course dates that they will give you.

Good luck!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 06:39:29 PM »

ok, thanks. I had read about the C.O.R.E exam but didn't know about getting the PAL first.
Do you need to have your own firearm to do the tests?

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:30:18 PM »

ok, thanks. I had read about the C.O.R.E exam but didn't know about getting the PAL first.
Do you need to have your own firearm to do the tests?

You don't need to get your PAL first to get your C.O.R.E. and you don't need your own firearm to do the tests. After taking the the Firearms course it took 3 months to get my license in the mail, so it does take some time. I would do it soon if you plan on hunting in the upcomming fall season or even the last bit of the bear season.

Depending on where you live, you can drop by reliable, or italian sporting goods and they can hook you up.

Also, a great hunting forum that will help you lots with any kind of information is www.huntingbc.ca

Cheers  :)
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 09:11:56 PM »

I think its better to do your P.A.L first if you plan to own any sort of firearms because you can elimilate the pratical part of the  firearm section in C.O.R.E. .

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 07:14:38 AM »

but you could hunt with another hunter and use one of his or hers firearms when together if you got your CORE now

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 07:41:34 PM »

I think you can take em together for about 260 there is a place in maple ridge called wanstalls there is a guy there that offers the courses

yamadirt 426

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:49:16 AM »

Go get them together. Both courses took me 1 week. About $260 like the other guy says. The core paperwork took about a month to get back and I'm still waiting on my pal. The wife and I sent them out in the same envelope and she got her pal allready , I'm still waiting for mine. But I can still hunt with my bow !

The Fish Hunter

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 04:22:17 PM »

I bought the C.O.R.E text book and now i am wondering if I can just challenge the exam instead of taking the class?

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 07:37:08 PM »

Yes you can just challenge the exam, thats what i did.  Reliable or any other shop can give you the number of a guy who you can meet up with and give you the exam.

spey

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:35:27 PM »

if you challenge the exam make sure you are comfortable with firearms and know how to safely handle and work them. you will be tested on your ability to operate 4 differant type of actions (lever, bolt, pump and something else)

spey

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 09:36:41 PM »

also be sure you know how to properly identify differant types of ammunition and guns, although its pretty straight forward.
good luck

The Fish Hunter

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:19:45 AM »

Thanks for the heads up! I take it there are alot of PAL like questions on it?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:22:04 AM by The Fish Hunter »