Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: starter line  (Read 4095 times)

devon42

starter line
« on: March 06, 2009, 09:35:15 AM »

well i got my first fly rod and reel and i dint know what kind of line to put on it. I'm probably going to get some extra spools with different kind of line but for now i need to put something on it. i will probably be fishing rivers right now so probably stave or Harrison i dont know if i should get sink, sink tip, or floating. I'm going to be using minnows and things like that so what would be a good line to get?

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: starter line
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »

you can buy a Versa Tip system. That would give you a dry line and tips: dry, clear intermediate, type 3, type 6. My dad has this line for his 5wt and loves how versatile it is. I myself just have a 5wt dry line that i have looped at the end so i can use the couple tips i made personally  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »

Multi-tip system being suggested is excellent and saves you moneyin the long run if you decide to do a lot of flyfishing for different species. I consider myself a starter who flyfishes perhaps 30 to 40% of the time when fishing so here is what I have been using. I basically just use a floating line and home-made tapered leader. The floating line is used for chirinomid fishing in lakes, river trout fishing (both dries and nymphs), beach fishing. I use GPX and Headstart on my 4, 5 and 6 wts.

Jamison Jay

• shh....I'm hiding
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 05:50:41 PM »

Rodney mentioned the SA headstart line and I would second looking at it. I've got boxes full of lines running the price range, but for a beginner the Headstart line is great, casts easy, forward taper, and later can be trimmed back and made into a decent shooting head. It's got the same coating as SA's higher priced lines and will last as long as you will need it for.

Don't bother getting sucked into the high priced gimmicky lines that won't do you any bit of good.  ;)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 09:23:38 PM »

Finally some sense instead of the same old industry propaganda. Jamison and Rod are right on the mark heed their advice and have fun.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 11:05:02 PM »

i had a RIO versa tip for my first 3 years of fly fishing, it got me into all the areas that I needed to without spending any money on reels, tips ect, I found it was a good setup and I have still had one of my best fishing days to date using the clear int tip in a Merrit area lake,

fish321

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 08:47:48 PM »

go with the multi tip. They are not really the best for everything but unless you want to shell out for three or four different lines they are passable and get the job done.

mykisscrazy

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »

Yep, the multi tip is the way to go!

However, if you are just starting out a weight forward full floating line would also be good. Getting the casting down does take a bit of patience and time. My opinion is the multi tip is a good thing to get once you have mastered casting and the feel of the rod.

Always wear eye protection!

skibumAB

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »

RIO has a great starter line, the "mainstream":

Designed to optimize rod performance at normal casting ranges with shorter heads, tapers and running lines that empower novice casters to make the cast. MainStream lines undergo the same rigorous production processes and quality control standards as all RIO products. The MainStream floating lines have a supple self-lubricating coating that remains memory-free in cold water.

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=49

funpig

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 12:34:14 AM »

I use the Headstart on my 8 wt.  I also make my own sinking tips out of tungsten t-14.  Without a nice front taper, sometimes I can't get that nice soft finish in the cast, but I can get it out there and down fast.  The headstart is a good quality line.  My only beef would be that the head is a bit short.  Once I get thirty or forty feet of the flyline out, I am into the back taper and it is not as easy to roll cast.  I may actually get a simple 8 wt level line so that I can roll cast 50 - 60 feet of fly line plus the tip.

janders

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 01:16:38 PM »

I am in my 2nd year of fly fishing and if $$ is a concern i would highley recomend a WF floating line. It is without a doubt the most used line of mine. I have also bought a clear intermediate and full sinking for trolling but i still troll the lakes with my floating and have alot of success with that. All i throw on is a weighted fly and 20-24 feet of leader and tippet to get it down there  ;D