Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Man drowns in Fraser River  (Read 2846 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Man drowns in Fraser River
« on: March 03, 2009, 03:55:17 PM »

Man drowns in Fraser River

By Amy Steele, Maple Ridge/Pitt Meadows TimesMarch 3, 2009 3:02 PM

METRO VANCOUVER -- A 38-year-old Maple Ridge man who fell out of a boat into the Fraser River died Monday evening despite rescue efforts by crew members of the Albion Ferry.

Albino Ferry staff saw two people fall out of a boat into the river just before 6 p.m. Monday and immediately responded. One of the men, 44, who fell out of the boat managed to climb back on board and was waving for assistance. He was also from Maple Ridge. The Albion Ferry crew went to his aid and transported him to the Albion Ferry dock where he was met by the Ridge Meadows RCMP and B.C. Ambulance Service members. The man was taken to Ridge Meadows Hospital for treatment.

Albion Ferry employees found the second man who had fallen out of the boat a short distance downstream floating in the river. He was unresponsive and attempts to revive him failed.

B.C. Coroner's Service attended the scene.

"It appears alcohol may have played a part in this horrible incident, and our members are actively pursuing this, and any other contributing factors," said Ridge Meadows RCMP Staff Sgt. Warren Tomalty. "We also wish to acknowledge the quick actions of the crew on the Albion Ferries, as they certainly saved the other man from serious injury, or death."

© Copyright (c) The Vancouver Sun

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Sandhead

Re: Man drowns in Fraser River
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 04:07:47 PM »

Thats just terrible. Water tempearture in the river must be mighty cold as well. any one know? Indian Arm on the weekend was 6 degrees. I saw last year in pitt lake when it was 11 degrees and thought i was going to freeze to death
Ain't no HO like a COHO

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 07:47:10 PM »

The news on Global had a more in depth report on it last night. The men were apparently speeding over the wake of the ferry and being a bit crazy which caused the man to go overboard. So it appears they were drinking and acting irresponsibly. Thats why you dont drink and operate a boat.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:08:10 PM »

So tragic. You would think two middle aged men would know better than to drink and drive. (a boat)

hotrod

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:31:27 AM »

A sad story indeed. I grew up with the guy who passed away and I'm still in shock. I was told that he made sure his buddy got back on the flipped boat before himself and then didn't make it back.That was his nature. A very big loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Hotrod

canuckjgc

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 08:03:57 AM »

Anyone know if they were wearing PFD's?  I always wear one on the Fraser.  Sadly, most people I encounter do not.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 10:59:19 AM »

I feel bad for the guy.  Too bad he couldn't have learned his lesson an easier way.