Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rolling  (Read 8322 times)

mastercaster

• Old Timer
Re: Rolling
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 11:22:19 PM »

Not difficult to win the cup back then when there were only 6 teams. How many cups since expansion ? None and no appearance in the final. Tough to be a Laugh fan. Rebuilding since 1967 !

yeah sure...lol.....then only the elite players played the game...not the diluted talent pool you see now......but keep up the weak points...keeps the rest of us chuckling...;)))

mojo watched my team win a cup....you?????

I think you need to catch one of those classic games they show.  The skill level in general wasn't near as good as it is today!  In the game I watched I saw one player do a decent toe drag...now a days every kid on a bantam rep team does it better.  Hardly saw anyone backchecking and absolutely no one went down to block a shot.  It appeared that the only way they could slow a guy down was to hang on to him or hook the crap out of them.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if every player in the NHL today wouldn't have made those teams.  The guys showed up to training camp fat and out of shape and started the season still not in top shape.  You can'y really blame them...there was no such thing as dryland training, guys didn't hit the gym, and they ate crap.  The average size of player was 2-3 inches shorter and 15-20 lbs. less.  Bobby Hull was about as big and strong as a player could be back then and he measured in at only 5'10' and a 190 lbs.  Beside a guy like Nash or Getslaf he'd look like a runt.  Back then they didn't have the technical advances they employ today.  When equipment is better, players are stronger, bigger, and faster how could the athletes not be better? It's almost cheating for crying out loud!

Do you think that because there were so many players scoring more goals it was because they were better shooters? The average goalie took up half the space they do today.  There was so much more net to hit. Goalies of today are not the short, pudgy guys of yesteryear who wore small, skimpy padding.   Today they are far superior when it comes to athleticism.  Today, if guys had to wear the gear that was worn back then there would be a death every other week because of how hard the average player shoots.  Back when the Leafs last won the cup only a handful of guys took slapshots on any given team.  I bet most guys in the league would score goals against goalies back then because in general, the goalies back then were at a disadvantage.

I don't know of a single sport where you can say the guys were better 40 years ago than they are today.  That's the best laugh I've had today!  And it's not just because of the better equipment....it's better training, better nutrition, and BIGGER, FASTER, and STRONGER athletes!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:28:17 PM by mastercaster »

mojoman

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 06:34:33 AM »

Not difficult to win the cup back then when there were only 6 teams. How many cups since expansion ? None and no appearance in the final. Tough to be a Laugh fan. Rebuilding since 1967 !

yeah sure...lol.....then only the elite players played the game...not the diluted talent pool you see now......but keep up the weak points...keeps the rest of us chuckling...;)))

I think you need to catch one of those classic games they show.  The skill level in general wasn't near as good as it is today!  In the game I watched I saw one player do a decent toe drag...now a days every kid on a bantam rep team does it better.  Hardly saw anyone backchecking and absolutely no one went down to block a shot.  It appeared that the only way they could slow a guy down was to hang on to him or hook the crap out of them.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if every player in the NHL today wouldn't have made those teams.  The guys showed up to training camp fat and out of shape and started the season still not in top shape.  You can'y really blame them...there was no such thing as dryland training, guys didn't hit the gym, and they ate crap.  The average size of player was 2-3 inches shorter and 15-20 lbs. less.  Bobby Hull was about as big and strong as a player could be back then and he measured in at only 5'10' and a 190 lbs.  Beside a guy like Nash or Getslaf he'd look like a runt.  Back then they didn't have the technical advances they employ today.  When equipment is better, players are stronger, bigger, and faster how could the athletes not be better? It's almost cheating for crying out loud!

Do you think that because there were so many players scoring more goals it was because they were better shooters? The average goalie took up half the space they do today.  There was so much more net to hit. Goalies of today are not the short, pudgy guys of yesteryear who wore small, skimpy padding.   Today they are far superior when it comes to athleticism.  Today, if guys had to wear the gear that was worn back then there would be a death every other week because of how hard the average player shoots.  Back when the Leafs last won the cup only a handful of guys took slapshots on any given team.  I bet most guys in the league would score goals against goalies back then because in general, the goalies back then were at a disadvantage.

I don't know of a single sport where you can say the guys were better 40 years ago than they are today.  That's the best laugh I've had today!  And it's not just because of the better equipment....it's better training, better nutrition, and BIGGER, FASTER, and STRONGER athletes!

the best laugh today is you thinkin' I'm comparin' today to yesterday...the original 6 worked fulltime jobs and played hockey for a pittance..leather skates...leather shin pads...the goalies wore almost the same gear....yep..todays spoiled players would sure wanna play tonight and goto work in the mornings...yesteryears players played for pride...today its all about the bux...your mileage will vary... :D :D :D :D

mojo
Lou will turn things around with his game and the Canucks will make their way back to the top of their division... Canuck's have a great chance of going all the way this year... maybe you can save this post so I can say I told you so in a couple of months Smiley

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 09:09:57 AM »

the best laugh today is you thinkin' I'm comparin' today to yesterday...the original 6 worked fulltime jobs and played hockey for a pittance..leather skates...leather shin pads...the goalies wore almost the same gear....yep..todays spoiled players would sure wanna play tonight and goto work in the mornings...yesteryears players played for pride...today its all about the bux...your mileage will vary... :D :D :D :D

mojo

Talk about backing up the truck!!  Isn't that your quote above?  "then only the elite players played the game...not the diluted talent pool you see now"   How is anyone supposed to work in "pride and fulltime jobs and bux" into that?  You used words like "elite players and diluted talent pool"  In my book it sounds EXACTLY like a comparison!

Let others make their mind up wether it is or not.  If you wanted us to know that you thought the players back then were hard done by and played the game for pride instead of money just say so.  Don't imagine people would have disagreed.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 10:17:48 AM »

Mastercaster great post !!! it always makes me laugh when people try and compare hockey players of late with players today.... take Gretzky for an example... if he played today not only would he not score a quarter of the goals or get anywhere near the assists he had, he would probably be dead or at least retired early... back then nobody hit him because he had two personal bodyguards on the ice !!! imagine the stick thin "great one" being hit by Pronger or Mitchell.... if you were able to bring back the top 100 players from yesteryear, not one of them would make the starting lineup of even the worst team in the league... different world now... I wish people would stop talking about it...
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 02:10:31 PM »

That's why it's so phenominal what Mike Green accomplished!  It's mind boggling to think a defenceman could score 10 goals in eight straight games with how good, big, and athletic the goalies are now, how closely guys are checked, and how forwards fearlessly block shots.  That is going to be one tough record to beat.  Even guys like Bobby Ore, Paul Coffee, and Denis Potvin couldn't accomplish that when there was so much more net to hit.

Green is definitely my choice for the Norris this year!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 03:17:24 PM »

Today, if guys had to wear the gear that was worn back then there would be a death every other week because of how hard the average player shoots. 

You obviously pay no attention to the gear Broduer wears  ::) I remeber them showing it on a hockey night in Canada night, and its crazy. I would never go in net with that stuff, its like a backcatchers chest gaurd with separate arm guards, the stuff I use in roller hockey  :-\