Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nets  (Read 4934 times)

Iris

Nets
« on: February 13, 2009, 12:24:57 PM »

Several fisherman have told me that the natives are now, or have recently been netting near the mouth of the Vedder. Is there any truth to this?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Nets
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:29:26 PM »

Several fisherman have told me that the natives are now, or have recently been netting near the mouth of the Vedder. Is there any truth to this?

We hear this every year at this time of year as well as steelhead being caught with net marks. The best thing to do is phone FOC here in Chilliwack and they should be able to tell you, then you can report back to us what they say.

norm_2

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 08:43:12 AM »

Last week, I saw a steelhead with net marks.  I will call FOC on Monday.

jeff

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »

Ya about a month ago friend of mine landed a wild one with net marks on it.
Enjoying the water..........

Iris

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »

Good points Chris. I have been out about a dozen times this steelhead season and have only 2 fish, but come to think of it, neither had net marks so it could be just me  :-[
I have seen plenty with net marks in previous years but no, I can't rightly say I have seen that this year.  Think I'll make that call as well.

norm_2

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 05:58:02 PM »

I called the BC guys who said they can only act if individuals are seen with nets, and then take details and call them.  I called the Fed's who said much the same but did add there may be netting going on and there was another number to call to find that out.  I asked what fish are running now that can be netted and he did not know.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:54:43 AM »

I called the BC guys who said they can only act if individuals are seen with nets, and then take details and call them.  I called the Fed's who said much the same but did add there may be netting going on and there was another number to call to find that out.  I asked what fish are running now that can be netted and he did not know.
Thanks for checking it out. There will be the odd early chinook running around this time of year in the Fraser and there may be some ceremonial permits issued to target them.