Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 29th 2009: UNBELIEVABLE DAY!!!  (Read 9386 times)

Gooey

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 29th 2009: UNBELIEVABLE DAY!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009, 12:34:15 PM »

What a friggin joke...his intention was to RETAIN the fish....its his own decision how the heck he gets it up on the rocks. 

Would you care if a guy used a gaff to land a hatchery fish?  Giving it a boot is no different ...the thought of someone criticizing Marco for it - that's laughable!   :-X

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 01:54:37 PM »

If the fish is on the line I could care less how somebody gets it on the bank....but yes, if there was a fish swimming close to shore and somebody decided because it was a hatch job they could "gaff" it in, to me that is not sportsmanlike.  Point is he lost the fish close to his feet and decided rather than trying to pick it up and harm it as little as possible that it didn't really matter how he handled it and tried to kick it in.  I dunno just does not sit well with me and obviously many others. 

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 02:07:17 PM »

Please pointers if you've got any!!

Try pointing your rod sideways instead of up and down.

It puts less pressure on the fish and confuses it as to which direction to go to fight the pressure.
I normally pull on the side over the water but will switch 5 or 6 times for 20 seconds during the fight.

LargeMouthMinnow

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 02:11:33 PM »

Why not put your efforts into the beaks kicking back the chums

Just curious...what is a "beak" I have heard the term used a few times on this site and another?? 
The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the pow'r
To say just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour!
Now is the only time we have, to do the what you will;
Do not delay another day, your clock may then be still!

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »

Please pointers if you've got any!!

Try pointing your rod sideways instead of up and down.

It puts less pressure on the fish and confuses it as to which direction to go to fight the pressure.
I normally pull on the side over the water but will switch 5 or 6 times for 20 seconds during the fight.

I'm sure somebody has brought it up before but side pressure also keeps the facing gill plate pushed against the fish, so the fish supposedly has less oxygen for the fight.  Hard to test but it makes sense.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »

Marmot, what you said makes no sense: "Point is he lost the fish close to his feet and decided rather than trying to pick it up and harm it as little as possible..." Do you wish he had gently picked it up with a great deal of care so he could turn around and smash it with a rock and rip its gills out?  As my original post said: who cares how he get it to shore (as he was going to retain it - dead is dead).  You do know that retain = kill right?!?

PS - gaffing (or netting a fish for that matter) is only legal if it used to assist a fisher in landing his catch. 

Buck_wife

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 03:03:39 PM »

Just curious...what is a "beak" I have heard the term used a few times on this site and another??

maybe Chris will enlighten you ...... ;) ;D ;D
beako begone, right CG?  ;)

chromer

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 03:21:47 PM »

Nice fish Marco, too bad you lost it. Steelhead don't taste good anyway!! They should all be catch and release. :)

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 03:50:34 PM »

Making a mountain out of a molehill again........

gofish

• doh!
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 05:39:08 PM »

And people wonder why less fishing reports are being posted?!  ::) 
Give me a break, you high and mighty armchair fishermen, go somewhere else and critique there.
Nice fish guys

get off the couch

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 05:39:23 PM »

A "beak" is anyone who is not fishing like the way you are fishing. ;)

vedder a gong show?no, this is where the true gong show is! :P

This is my contribution to keep people off the river. ;D

Okay,I am wearing a bullet proof vest like The Obamas' getting ready to be shot.

Don't worry. Marco, Chris and I have skin thick enough on our faces that it is already bullet proof. ;)

And people wonder why less fishing reports are being posted?!  ::) 

This seems to be a common statement whenever a disagreement arises in the fishing report. In reality, only a small percentage of people (just like in the "real world") will always be negative. In this case, one or two repliers out of more than ten. My take on this is, why would I stop participating because of a few individuals, unless I am insecured? ;)

We had a lengthy discussion yesterday while fishing about whether I should include the questioned photograph in my write-up. In the end, we agreed that it should be included. It is a good story, perhaps a good lesson, which will be remembered and talked about for a long time among our peers. When these stories are published on the website, I am fully aware of the public scrutiny that may generate from time to time. Some maybe valid, others maybe initiated by personal resentment, so I and many others have learned to pick and choose whose advises we should absorb. ;) For every person who disapproves, hopefully there are ten people who appreciate the stories, which intend to excite people so they would get out and enjoy fishing as much as we do.

Like many other issues in sportfishing, the questionable action in this story falls in the grey area, which is clearly demonstrated in the follow-up discussion. The duration of the entire event was perhaps less than 10 seconds. Marco, like myself, is not a perfect being. ;) If anyone can always make a sound judgement in a split second, he or she would have my highest respect. ;D For most of us common beings, mistakes take place from time to time. In this case, the mistake is that the fish got away instead of sitting in the oven right now. ;) Should Marco apologize for doing what he did? Not in my opinion, because I would probably have done the same thing, only with my other two limbs as well. ;) Fish that we intend to keep are lost from time to time, it's part of the game. If this fish actually did not make it back in the water, we would not even be discussing this.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=18945.0

Noticing that the fish's head was covered with blood, I wanted to rinse it and have the photo retaken. I brought the fish to the water and washed the blood off. Suddenly it wiggled and slipped away from my hand. Sensing freedom, it gave itself a good kick to several feet from shore! :o Panic broke out on shore. I picked up my landing net while the fish swam slowly in circle on the surface. After a few attempts, I managed to push the fish back to shore with the landing net. I then grabbed the fish and it slipped from my hand again! It, again, gave itself another quick dart away from shore! This time, even further away, unreachable with the net. >:( I grabbed the spinning rod and began casting over it, hoping to use the spinner to... ahem, push it back. At this point, Marco came over to see what the heck was hapening. He then grabbed my other spinning rod so both of us were now trying to hook this little fish on the surface while Robj held the landing net, preparing to net in case it swam back to shore. After a few minutes, the unthinkable happened. The fish sank!

"It'll resurface..."

Yeah right!

:'(

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=16074.msg156742#msg156742

I gradually worked it to a slow slot where the slope is not as steep. A quick look for the adipose fin showed nothing, it was a hatchery fish! :D I slid it up the beach and pushed it up a bit more with my hand. Just when I kneeled down to grab its tail, it flopped a couple of times and tumbled back into the drink! With the lure still in its mouth, I frantically got up and played the fish a few more seconds before the dreadful pop! :'( Shocked by what just happened, I stomped my feet and screamed while Luke gave me the "I can't believe you just did that" look. I looked across the channel, Lew was chuckling after witnessing the entire event. :-\ Deflated, I sat down and replayed the entire thing in the head.

It is the hunting instinct within us, which is why most of us go fishing in the first place. If it was illegal, then the tune would be sung differently in the story. Comparing this to actions that are deemed illegal only weakens one's argument. A simple disapproval being voiced is good enough. We can agree to disagree when it comes to how we conduct ourselves morally until new laws are introduced. The reality is that sportfishing will always have a negative impact on our natural resource and we do our best to minimize it. No educated anglers would purposely harm a fish by kicking or gaffing it with no reason, which is obviously quite different to this scenario.

Perhaps some have misread... ;D

Marco panicked and began kicking the water like a peewee soccer player, attempting to keep it in the shallow water.

It'd be silly to keep arguing at what actually took place while one side bases its argument on a photo while the other side, who was present at the event, defends.

If someone couldn't laugh at the end of this fiasco, then a visit to Dr Phil maybe required. ;) The three of us laughed at the misplay, but obviously it could be put out of context by some.

Ethics can be discussed until the sun dies and an agreement will still not be reached. I suggest that everyone should start talking about the fish that I killed instead. ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:57:18 PM by Rodney »

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 05:48:21 PM »

See what happens when you kick a steelhead? you get a hijacked post with a bunch of losers arguing back and forth when they could be out fishing or planning their next trip.  For that reason alone it's not a good idea!   ;D

Just read your post Rod and like I say I wouldn't have thought anything of it and just shrugged it off until people started defending it.  It's NOT a big deal but for the same reason you thought about posting that image or not I think it deserves discussion....if that makes any sense.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 05:59:35 PM by marmot »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 06:01:51 PM »

Heating up I see. ;) Play nice people.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »

you guys do realize that noone in their right mind would kick the fish. What we try to do is use our feet to "scoop" the fish onto shore, so maybe some of you can chill out a bit and think about it for a second. a picture will never show you the motions the person is going through. I have used the foot scoop on several HATCHERY fish or pinks, springs....what have you. I did not kick the fish at all but used my foot to do a kind of scoop slide onto the shore then reach down quickly to grab it. I do not think that this is a proper landing technique to use obviously however once in awhile it needs to be utilized.

regardless of whether its a fish to be retained or not, if you can tail the fish in knee deep water, then the landing is alot easier. of course this wont work in some areas unfortunately  :-\ this is how i land all my fish even when im alone because when the fish are in water this deep they are a little more co-operative then when they are bascically on dry land.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 06:53:59 PM »

Hey I always play nice.  No need for me to stoop to that level.  Thanks for that though DIE_HARD, I saw it before it was edited out.  Next time you call somebody an idiot make sure you spell is correctly. 

HOOK I agree 100% believe it or not.  Reading back in the post that doesn't sound like what was happening though and Rod is right, the choice of words and the picture tell a different story than what may have happened.....To me it's just another case of people taking a healthy discussion about what is OK and not OK to do while fishing and getting personal with it.  It doesn't seem like anything can be brought up in a healthy manner on this site without people on both sides of the fence getting hot under the collar about it....is this leftover hostility from not being able to vent this year about flossing??? Who knows.

On a side note...and I'm not taking a stand on this so before anyone accuses me of anything else please read this sentence a few times to get it through your heads.... is it even LEGAL to net, gaff, or otherwise capture a fish that isn't attached to your line?  Something to consider, maybe.  I don't think it is actually legal but like I said, I could care less either way in this instance.  I know for a fact it isn't legal to just reach in and grab a fish with your hands and take it home....is this legal now because he WAS playing the fish?  Its an honest question and I'm not trying to start another argument, just get an answer if anyone knows.