Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 29th 2009: UNBELIEVABLE DAY!!!  (Read 9384 times)

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 29th 2009: UNBELIEVABLE DAY!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 10:42:43 PM »

SO i drove off the highway into my exit to the vedder river drunk again!... lol.. no i'm just kidding.. My brother and I head down mid river around 9 am.  Fishing in the few spots and just working our way down river.. NOTHING all morning.. except me cracking up watching my brother bail on ice! lol... anyways.. we head  down river around 11 where i was lucky last time around.  There was someone fishing where i hooked on a fish so i wait patiently until he leaves which was like 10 mins later!! I think to my self, sweeeett!! I talked to a couple of guys and they said nothing all day.  Was better yesterday.  I didn't let that discourage me...I head down to my spot. check my leader to make sure it's ok.  First cast out... nothing.. second one.. float sinks.. and Set... couple of head shakes.. and snap!!!! and a nice  chromie jumps outta the water..!  Now im feeling the andrenaline.. I hurry and tie up a new set up.. i waved my brother down to my spot.. I get her tied up and ready to try again.  First cast... nothing.. second cast.. nothing happens... third cast.... BAM!!!! Hook on a nice beauty on.. head shakes galore!  he takes off to the middle of the river.. comes back..close to shore...all suddent a nice doh jumps up right infront of me...hard head shakes.. all of a sudden hook comes off.. by now im shakin my frickin head!!!! DAMMIT!   i go down river just a few feet closer to the rapids... 4 casts later... SINKS!!! and instantly takes off in the middle of the river.. didn't last too log.. again head shakes.. and hook comes off.. by now.. I"m thinking.. what the hell am I doing wrong.. who hooks  3 fish with in 30 mins and loses all of them... but i guess everyone has those days... Incidentlly, the same angler that offered me help the last time i landed a wild.. was standing beside me.. he had been there all morning..and just couldn't believe what he was seeing.. meanwhile.. no one else was hooking where i was.. and hour later.. still nothing.. i'm starting to think that they all got spooked!.. all of a sudden.. my float SINKS again.. and i hammer her home.. and she takes off to the middle of the river...  then down stream to the current..I'm chasing her down river ans a couple anglers up top chase along with me and my brother....I lose him again... HORRIBLE!!!! I'm thinking to myself.. what a frickin rediculous day!!!!  BUT, i still had lots of fun! Great action.. My Older brother and a friend of mine looks at me and just can't believe it.. I didn't see any one else hit one..!I stop at freds to get a couple extra hooks and floats...And told him about my day.. he said someone else came in and had lost four as well.. felt relieved that i wasn't the only one that sucked! lol..I know it's unbelieveable! But it's true... My friend said if he didn't come a long today.. and i called him up and told him that.. he would think i was full of ****.. lol.. I'd think i was full of **** too.. Makes up for the 6 adays with no action definately!!  Trying to get outta work tomorrow to head out again in the morning.. I'll update you guys then...

Please pointers if you've got any!!

cheers

Franky,

ok pointers your asking for... well i watched you hook the one to my and 2 other locals amazement

suggestion number one, shorten up, your float was going under every cast.

suggestion 2, in tandem with shortening your float, shorten your leader, it will help reduce floss/snagged fish and help detect the bite easier.

and suggestion 3, get a baitcaster with a smoother drag than that spincaster.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 11:16:57 PM »

Suddenly the hook popped out! Marco panicked and began kicking the water like a peewee soccer player, attempting to keep it in the shallow water.

The fish bounced once against the nearby rocks and back in the shallow water, made a short burst toward Chris, who began kicking the water like a peewee soccer player too! Why both of them did not bend down and use their arms still baffles me to this minute. The whole fiasco took 15 seconds and the steelhead managed to find a light in the tunnel. She used one more burst of her energy and shot herself back into the run. The three of us stood motionlessly and were speechless. Did that just happen? Laughter then bursted out from all corners, but the fish obviously had the last laugh.

- That's not exactly stellar fishhandling is it? Perhaps a little abusive.
- Why would someone try and kick a fish to shore that became un-hooked? I don't like that very much. Just look at the picture - awful.
- Laughing about it. Probably should have suggested that they stop and consider what they were doing.

Well documented. Wow - I'm pretty surprised and dissapointed.

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 11:18:28 PM »

Nice report rod. You sure make that look like a decent sized steely! Awsome action shot to

it may have been funny, but dragging it like that onto rocks isn't the best for the fish, aswell as kicking it. Not to say u dont know waht ur doing, obviously the heat of the moment, but not the best choice.

I have read alot of your posts and in general they are all garbage but this ones actually funny. They already said they were going to bonk it. Dont people realize it was a hatch job they were trying to keep. Alot different from kicking or dragging a wild fish back to shore so they can get a picture. I would have lauged watching that as i have done it as well.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:21:14 PM by kellya »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 11:21:49 PM »

Nice fish Rodney. How does a skinny guy like you can eat a burger, sausages, fries and coffee without putting on any weight ? ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 11:26:13 PM »

You sure make that look like a decent sized steely!

Of course. ;) One needs to pull out all the tricks to boast a catch when they don't come so often. ;D I am on a strict diet to keep myself lean. At 118lb, I can make a tyee look like a marlin between my arms. Regular bicep workout also allows me to extend my arms fully for lengthy photoshoots. It also helps to instruct the photographer at what spot and angle he should stand like I did today. ;D

Rodney. How does a skinny guy like you can eat a burger, sausages, fries and coffee without putting on any weight ? ;D

That almost sounds like the opening line of a Jenny Craig commercial. :P ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:29:50 PM by Rodney »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 11:28:29 PM »

Reiber are you kidding me  ::)
You are telling me you have never panicked when you have had a fish get off the hook, yea right.
Why not put your efforts into the beaks kicking back the chums they dont want to touch rather than beaking someone who was actually going to keep a fish.

Good fish rod  :)

Kingpin - I agree, he has talent at least.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:31:02 PM by Every Day »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 11:45:30 PM »

Reiber are you kidding me  ::)
You are telling me you have never panicked when you have had a fish get off the hook, yea right.
Why not put your efforts into the beaks kicking back the chums they dont want to touch rather than beaking someone who was actually going to keep a fish.

Everyone has lost a fish that they wanted to keep - that's very common.
Trying to kick a free fish onto shore isn't right in my opinion and yes it did remind me of the Chummers on the Stave. That's exactly why I would expect better handling of Steelhead. Whether beaks are kicking chum or any fish doesn't make it right.
It doesn't matter if someone wanted to keep the hatchery fish of not. The fish wasn't hooked at the time and it was kicked at to get onto shore. Now the fish got away but does it survive the kicks? Who knows - that's one reason why you don't use your feet to land fish.
It was also kicked at by someone who didn't even hook the fish - how is that right?

That brings up a question - Is it legal to kick a free fish onto shore even if it did come unhooked in the process of landing it?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:47:52 PM by Rieber »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 11:51:16 PM »

Well I would assume the fish would live.
Just think of what these fish go through to get up to their spawning channels, have you ever been to Othello tunnels in pink years  ???  Those fish are jumping up 15+ foot waterfalls, making it halfway (sometimes) and falling backwards onto rocks at the bottom. Then they try again. That doesnt seem to affect them so why would this.
Im pretty sure the only thing this fish got was a valuble lesson not to bite things floating down the river.

Trying to kick a free fish onto shore isn't right in my opinion and yes it did remind me of the Chummers on the Stave. That's exactly why I would expect better handling of Steelhead. Whether beaks are kicking chum or any fish doesn't make it right.
It doesn't matter if someone wanted to keep the hatchery fish of not. The fish wasn't hooked at the time and it was kicked at to get onto shore. Now the fish got away but does it survive the kicks? Who knows - that's one reason why you don't use your feet to land fish.
It was also kicked at by someone who didn't even hook the fish - how is that right?

That brings up a question - Is it legal to kick a free fish onto shore even if it did come unhooked in the process of landing it?

Good question. Care to find out for us  ;)

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 12:17:46 AM »

Well I would assume the fish would live.
Just think of what these fish go through to get up to their spawning channels, have you ever been to Othello tunnels in pink years  ???  Those fish are jumping up 15+ foot waterfalls, making it halfway (sometimes) and falling backwards onto rocks at the bottom. Then they try again. That doesnt seem to affect them so why would this.
Im pretty sure the only thing this fish got was a valuble lesson not to bite things floating down the river.

Good question. Care to find out for us  ;)

I'm not interested in a pissing match. Every Day, obviously you don't see a problem with someone or even a bystander trying to kick an unhooked fish onto shore. You're not the only one as this unfortunately seems to be somewhat common practice around salmon season as well.

It would be interesting to hear from a DFO or CO on the subject.

Maybe I'm wrong - maybe it's okay to attempt to kick free fish onto shore. No - I don't think it's right.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 12:21:24 AM »

it may have been funny, but dragging it like that onto rocks isn't the best for the fish, aswell as kicking it. Not to say u dont know waht ur doing, obviously the heat of the moment, but not the best choice.

lets not get all high and mighty, he was going to retain it but lost it from my understanding... and coming from you the kid who has a pic with a wild fish this year no where near water and admitting to surfing it

lol!too funny!lol.lol.lol.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 12:26:57 AM »

I meant look into the regs...... that wasnt meant to start an argument, I personally have never seen anything talking about this.
I dont agree with it at all when people are doing it to fish the have snagged and dont want to touch because they are rotting, or for that matter when they just dont feel like bending down.
If this was a wild fish I would share your same concern. Truth is, they were going to kill the fish and it was getting away, why not try to kick it onto the beach.
I have seen this before when people panick with a coho at your feet, you dont think that you should bend down and grab it at the time with all the excitment (logical thing to do) you think "hey my feet are right in front of the things body, why dont I stop/beach it".

I personally do not think it is right. I have done it once before and then after thought about how stupid it was. Whenever I get a fish close to shore the first thing I do is go for the leader, I never drag fish onto the beach anymore. After I have the leader it is easy to tail the fish, and get my hands into the gills if the little bugger tries to get away  ;)  ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 06:39:28 AM »

Nice fish Rodney. How does a skinny guy like you can eat a burger, sausages, fries and coffee without putting on any weight ? ;D
I am trying to figure that out too as you would think sitting behind the computer many hours a day one would put on a few pounds. ;D ;D

Maybe the stress of being a fishing web page moderator has something to do with it. :-X ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 07:47:28 AM »

SO i drove off the highway into my exit to the vedder river drunk again!... lol.. no i'm just kidding.. My brother and I head down mid rive

Franky,

what were using?

leader weight?

thanks

Joey

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 08:46:02 AM »

It is perfectly okay to "do the rock and roll " with a HATCHERY fish and the kicking.The next time I use a cannon.
It is very stressful to post any topic without some smart as%%#@$# shooting back.

Okay,I am wearing a bullet proof vest like The Obamas' getting ready to be shot.
Sorry,my bad, I am asking for it.Thanks

Joey

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »

That steelhead is probably fine but my guess is any other poster (especially posting that choice pic of marco trying to punt a stealhead up onto the rocks..wtf??) would have been lynched.

It's not high and mighty to call a spade a spade.....he's kicking a steelhead.  Thats worse than kicking a puppy!!!! :)