Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farmed salmon is BAD for our HEALTH  (Read 10689 times)

Morty

Farmed salmon is BAD for our HEALTH
« on: December 11, 2008, 11:15:40 PM »

I'm just reading a book on health, diet, and nutrition (I'd like to fish for a lotta years).  The section on Most crucial fats for health says in part:

"Research has shown that the omega-3 fatty acids so abundant in ocean caught salmon are changed into omega-6 fatty acids when they are farm raised, which creates an imbalance of these nutrients for your body."   "[wild] salmon especially varieties from cold Alaskan waters, which offer a healthful balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids *.   ....an over abundance of omega-6 linoleic acids and hydrogenated fats in most American diets is a combination linked to excess inflammation and tumor formation"

* Udo Erasmus, Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill - Alive Books 1994
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

rhino

• Old Timer
Re: Farmed salmon is BAD for our HEALTH
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 11:19:03 PM »

great info! after all you are what you eat! farm salmon unfortunately do more damage then just bad diet.

thanks for the post Morty!

Morty

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 12:49:30 PM »

we need to let more peole know that the negative effects of salmon farming are reaching into many areas of our lives: local ocean environments, salmon fry survival, killer whale, bear, bird of prey survival,  river and stream health - and now the healths of those this was supposed to help.  This will even reach to increased health care costs. 

gordc

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 03:06:44 PM »

This information is not accurate.  This conversion does not take place in farmed salmon and is actually only related to farmed tilapia.  The reason for this is because of the diets fed to tilapia, it consists of large volumes of corn and therefore we get this conversion of omega 3 to omega 6.  We get get into details of why this happens scientifically if one would like but we'll leave it at that for now.  I agree that there needs to be careful mangement of fish farming but without farming there is no chance of sustainability.  Also people need to be careful of the information they get through the media.  Science tells the truth not money.  How much is David Suzuki worth? 

Morty

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 03:18:11 PM »

This information is not accurate.  This conversion does not take place in farmed salmon and is actually only related to farmed tilapia.  The reason for this is because of the diets fed to tilapia, it consists of large volumes of corn and therefore we get this conversion of omega 3 to omega 6.  We get get into details of why this happens scientifically if one would like but we'll leave it at that for now.  I agree that there needs to be careful mangement of fish farming but without farming there is no chance of sustainability.  Also people need to be careful of the information they get through the media.  Science tells the truth not money.  How much is David Suzuki worth? 

"No chance of sustainability" of what?    People, or Atlantic salmon that don't even belong in these waters?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 07:13:54 PM »

Until fish farms can gain control over their sea lice and diseases, I will encourage everyone to never eat a farmed fish. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 09:53:25 PM »

Until fish farms can gain control over their sea lice and diseases, I will encourage everyone to never eat a farmed fish. 

Yup it is not even fit for a cat and I hate cats.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

gordc

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 11:49:56 AM »

Hi Bent rod :)  Have you visited any of the west coast salmon farms?

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 01:48:03 PM »

No, I'd venture to say that 99.9999% of the folks on FWR haven't either.  I have seen documentaries, studies and reports on them.  I'd also venture to say that unless I am working for a Canadian regulatory agency, I would not be granted access to a fish farm.  Especially if I am there to study the effects of fish farms on the ecology. 

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 01:50:27 PM »

One more thing...Why are farmed salmon dyed?   

gordc

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 06:34:43 PM »

Aesthetics only.  If you do any research you'll find that a lot, certainly not all, of the die is naturally sourced.  Access to salmon farms is not a difficult as you have made it sound, at least not in my experience.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 08:07:35 PM »

Easy access.  Well maybe I'm looking at things through my US colored glasses.  There are very few industries let alone food production industries around that will allow someone off the street access to their factory without knowing exactly who you are and why you're there.  And, if you do get access, you're going to see what they want you to see, so you never truly know what's going on.  Now back to the fish farms.  I haven't looked too closely, but I doubt there are ferries that take people out there and give them all the facts they so desire.  I'm certainly not taking my boat out into salt water.   That fact alone allows them a huge opportunity to operate secretively.  So, outside the unknown food issue and the dye issue and the sea lice issue, there's also the issue of what does all that accumulated fish feces do to the local ecology?  Last time I checked, accumulated feces is not a good thing.  BTW, I knew dye's were for aesthetics, I posed the question to continue the conversation.   It just makes me queasy to think about what these fish look like without dye's.  Makes me think they're not all that healthy.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 08:10:19 PM by bentrod »

gordc

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 09:39:17 PM »

I have found that if you go and ask for tour of a facility they'll often take a name and say they'll call when they can take you through.  Then a few weeks go by and no call so drop by again and make the same request.  It's got me through a few plants and satisfied my curiosity.  I agree that they don't welcome you with open arms but with a little prodding you may get in.

Morty

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 11:52:33 PM »

gordc

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 02:03:23 AM »

Here's some info on how to get a tour at the bottom of the page. http://www.salmonfarmers.org/
Morty - you may find a few positives on this sight as well.  I know you may question the objective of the salmon farmers organization but that's the point.  You must with all the information we receive.  Especially stuff you google.
Try this site as well  http://www.salmonfacts.org/

If your effort is to find negative points about salmon farming it's easy.  Same can be said for the positive.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 02:10:46 AM by gordc »