Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is it really studip If I hit the Stamp without guide??  (Read 4291 times)

bravo252

Is it really studip If I hit the Stamp without guide??
« on: December 10, 2008, 04:18:48 PM »

Hi~ Fellas!!

It is too itch to wait until full load of silver bar come up to lower mainland.
Therefore, I am thinking to head to the mighty Stamp!!!!
However, I have never been there and totally no clue where to go.

One more thing is that my budget is too narrow to afford a guide!!!!!!!!!!

Is it still worth to try her??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheer~!! ;D

Bravo~

patagonia

Re: Is it really studip If I hit the Stamp without guide??
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 04:24:52 PM »

Thats part of the fun.... go explore. The net has info on the river as does this site.... you can use a ton of resources before needing to get a guide although it doesnt hurt if money is no object. Try researching the river a bit, look at Google earth.... browse a few books and go walk a bit... the rewards of catching steel on your own are well worth it!!!

redside1

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 05:22:40 PM »

stop by the tackle shop "Gone Fishin" in Port Alberni and they will fix you up with a map so you can go and explore. Learning on your own is much better than the instant results program using a guide.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 06:01:18 PM »

Its worth it, totally. Well you catch as many fish? Probably not. It depends on why your going.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 07:47:55 PM »

I agree. I went last weekend with a buddy. We did some hicking and exploring the day before as well. Its worth it. Back roads map book is a great Idea. Worked for us. 2 years ago I went with a guide and got skunked. Went with buddys 2 times since and got fish! There are bears kicking around still so make lots of noise!

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 08:22:24 PM »

We all gotta learn. New system, prior to peak timing, I'd greatly prefer the advantages of a guide. Especially the first hit. Too many positives not to, where to look from general to specific, what to use under varying conditions, and much much more...

But, if you ain't got the bucks just now, exploration is always a hoot, and can be right rewarding when you make contact on your own! It isn't that big of system, and there are really only limited access points. The Island BackRoads Map mentioned by Rhino serves well as The Bible for a whole lot more enjoyment on The Rock, as well as the Stamp. And certainly don't forget Redside's suggestion about collecting Gone Fishin's courtesy map. Should serve well as a starting point.

Were it me, I'd be thinking somewhere around mid-system just now, lower down if it rains much...
But, you can take that with a grain of salt, I've only lived here a short decade or so ;D

Hope you find some Fun and the FishGoddess smiles on your day!

Cheers,
Nog

gordc

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 12:03:20 AM »

Hey Rhino, met you out a the Chehalis with your dog one cold day fishing for coho ealier this year.  Just wandering how much travel time one could expect in getting to the Stamp considering a departure from Chilliwack? Thanks

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 12:56:56 AM »

Hey Rhino, met you out a the Chehalis with your dog one cold day fishing for coho ealier this year.  Just wandering how much travel time one could expect in getting to the Stamp considering a departure from Chilliwack? Thanks

its  a hour and half ferry ride then about a 1 hr drive to port alberni. from chilliwak to horse shoe bay all depends on traffic. i would say about 2 to 2 half hours. i usually go a day before and get out and explore.

bravo252

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »

Thank youguys so much!!! ;D

I will give it a shot definitely!!

Thanks again guys~!! and more advices would be appreciated!!!

Cheeeeers~

Bravo ;D

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 11:46:27 AM »

check out the Tsawwassen to Duke Point ferry service. Quicker to get to from Chilliwack,less traffic,  cheaper to ride and the schedule may fit into your timing better. You don't have to worry about any rush hour or bridge traffic on the trip over. I think there is a 5.15am service that gets you there not to much after light this time of year if you are a little short on cash and want to save on hotel costs. I can drive chilliwack to the ferry in 1 hour 20 minutes easy.

gordc

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 05:39:55 PM »

Thanks Rhino

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »

check out the Tsawwassen to Duke Point ferry service. Quicker to get to from Chilliwack,less traffic,  cheaper to ride and the schedule may fit into your timing better. You don't have to worry about any rush hour or bridge traffic on the trip over. I think there is a 5.15am service that gets you there not to much after light this time of year if you are a little short on cash and want to save on hotel costs. I can drive chilliwack to the ferry in 1 hour 20 minutes easy.

The ferry is not cheaper from Tsawwassen its the same price. The Tsawwassen to Duke point ferry ride is 30 minutes longer than the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Duke Point. Duke Point is 15 minutes south of Nanaimo. So thats a 45 minute difference. So your not saving money or time.

The Tsawwassen to Duke point ferry WAS cheaper in the summer for a limited time. As of Dec 1st all ferry fares are 33% off. This is good until Jan 31st.

I am on a ferry tomorrow morning coming to the mainland.

www.bcferries.com

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 07:21:30 AM »

[
The ferry is not cheaper from Tsawwassen its the same price. The Tsawwassen to Duke point ferry ride is 30 minutes longer than the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Duke Point. Duke Point is 15 minutes south of Nanaimo. So thats a 45 minute difference. So your not saving money or time.

The Tsawwassen to Duke point ferry WAS cheaper in the summer for a limited time. As of Dec 1st all ferry fares are 33% off. This is good until Jan 31st.

I am on a ferry tomorrow morning coming to the mainland.

www.bcferries.com

It can be a lot quicker to get to from Chilliwack depending on the time of day, and traffic volumes over the Port Mann bridge, hwy 1 to the cassier tunnel and the Second Narrows bridge. I did not realize the pricing changed seasonally has I usually walk on. Making the drive from Chilliwack and planning to get to the terminal at a set time is much more dependable not having to go over bridges and I was just pointing out that there is another option than just Horseshoe bay. It is a different deal if you are traveling to the north side of the Fraser to places like Maple Ridge though. So I guess use whichever one works best for your travel timing. Good Luck.

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 12:27:41 PM »

As a nonresident in the Alberni area, I have found the access to the Stamp confusing due to the way the river(s) wind around and the maps inadequate unless you know the area.   Try Beaver Creek Road from the marina, left onto McKenzie Road after a fair distance, then right onto Sportsman Road.  That gets you to the Gun Club.    Sign in and you have access to a good stretch of river.    There is much more but that is a place to start.

Good Luck.

I have a guided trip booked for Sunday.  Hope I don't get frostbite.   Never tried fishing at -9'C, that is hunting weather!

bravo252

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2008, 05:33:27 PM »

Thanks let me know the direct VAGAbond!!!

That is where I am going to try first!!!
Hopefully, the temp won't go that low. :)
We will have fun totally anyway!!! ;D

Cheeeeeeeeeeers~

Bravo :D