Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Season Winding Down  (Read 5842 times)

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
  • Any River... Any Time....
Season Winding Down
« on: December 07, 2008, 10:19:28 AM »

Back from another 2 Province run just a couple of days ago. Hunting was difficult in Alberta, as there was no snow, the daytime temps ranged up to double digits, and the animals simply didn't need/want to move. Nonetheless, we did see lots of game, and had a thoroughly enjoyable experience, so much so we're already booked for next year!

So, back to the Rainy Rock, and attempting to locate my last blacktail of the season. Seen a few over the past few days, but the Frantic Last Minute Hunters are certainly out in Full Force! Yesterday saw but 2 does, and those were on the run. Also saw 9 quads, 3 extra loud dirt bikes, and even a golf cart out running the trails! No wonder the deer are so secretive just now! ::)

Between pushing so damn hard for most of the season, and continuing to do so in the rain upon my return, I managed to pick up a Doozey of a cold. Literally flattened me! So, taking today off to try and recover somewhat, and of course to leave the bush to the last antics of the Weekend Warrior crowd. Back at it anon...

Been a great season for our crew thus far, and am indeed hoping to cap it with a nice blacktail buck. Should that pursuit not come to fruition, guess I'll simply have to settle for this guy as my Season Capper...

Good Luck to those still engaged in The Game!

Cheers,
Nog

BCHunter

• Greenhorn Houndsman
Re: Season Winding Down
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 10:19:59 AM »

omg! awesome ELK!!!!

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2008, 09:26:30 PM »

nice elk matt, now get over and catch a steelhead!
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 10:42:06 PM »

nice elk matt, now get over and catch a steelhead!

Three days left for blacktails kingpin  ;)
Already have a good idea on the finny end   ;D

Shortly one way or 'tother  8)

Cheers,
Matt

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:39:34 PM »

sweet bull man, is there a sixth point on the left side. not in the photo but actual left antler.
Fish killer 101

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 09:26:11 AM »

sweet bull man, is there a sixth point on the left side. not in the photo but actual left antler.

Nope. That is actually the largest 5x5 I've been in on to date, which says something considering I've taken better than 20 of these beasties in my hunting career thus far. Have taken several 6x6 heads that had a smaller frame, and only 2 or 3 6x6 racks that were larger. Checked the teeth, and determined this animal was but 4.5 years old. Would have been a Monster most likely next year, but hey, who is gonna pass that up?! Was taken in a 3 point or better zone, not well known for success rates, basically collateral damage on the whitetail hunt of the moment. Providing some fine eating though, he was living off alfalfa and grain, and already had fat 2 inches deep built back up over the hind and back following this year's rut!

Cheers,
Nog

Derp

• Tight lines!
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 10:32:31 AM »

omg!!  :)
In the summertime when the weather is hot
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine
You got women, you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 11:44:02 AM »

Beautiful elk!!!!!

Shame to kill such a beast but hey....they taste too good !!!!  Way to go, I can only hope I get one like that next year.

IronNoggin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »

Shame to kill such a beast but hey....they taste too good !!!! 

Ahh Yes, the Bane of the Hunter. I very much consider our elk to be amongst the most beautiful, most majestic of our native creatures. Literally love them. Yet on the other hand I greatly admire their intelligence, endurance, and savvy regarding the hunt. Makes them one of the most intriguing and toughest animals we have to pursue. As much as I like to admire them, I equally enjoy that pursuit, and when successful, their great boost of excellent table-fare to the larder.

Due to his being ready now to butcher, and having this damn cold, I'm taking today off the pursuit of deer. One last shot tomorrow, and I'll be there for the full meal deal if it kills me! Regardless whether successful or not, I'll be hanging up the rifle with a smile! Many many Thanks to the Goddess of The Hunt! It was an excellent season, which will provide many fond memories well beyond the last steak being Bar-Beed!  ;D

Cheers,
Nog