Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, December 5th 2008: 1st Steelhead this season  (Read 8916 times)

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, December 5th 2008: 1st Steelhead this season
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2008, 09:50:14 AM »

It's great to see people learning how to identify the fish they catch, it's also disheartening to see guys who are "regulars" consistently misidentifying fish... :-\  Please learn how to id fish before you go fishing. If you're not sure or have questions, post photos and ask.  We should take it easy on the newbies but c'mon guys who are on here regularly, get with it.  Everybody starts out a Beak, just don't stay one!  Thanks for posting the photo of the nice fat coho doe Ghost Fish.

come on dude you mean to tell me at first glance you didn't think it was a chinook? yeah right don't kid yourself! i bet over half the regulars including yourself at first glance thought it was a spring!  ::) ::) ::)

CK

coho killer, for you to say that is selfish. at first glance, it is clearly a coho...just like bederko and trout slayer said. I dont know  how anyone could even think its a chinook....

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2008, 12:08:27 PM »

come on dude you mean to tell me at first glance you didn't think it was a chinook? yeah right don't kid yourself! i bet over half the regulars including yourself at first glance thought it was a spring!   

Coho killer - Actually I could tell that was a coho doe right away but that's because I've been working with them and fishing for them for quite a while.  Even if I couldn't tell, my point is that the "newbies" on this site respect the "regulars" and I think that it's a good idea for the "regulars" to think twice before they post.  This is a great medium for new anglers to learn but they have to learn correctly.  If you're going to post something that someone may take as gospel truth, just think twice about it before you type it...

Terry D. and any other new guys out there, if you want to learn identification, I suggest going to one of the local hatcheries on a spawn or sort day.  You'll be able to pick up some of the differences in chum, coho, chinook, sockeye just by watching the staff going through the fish.  And keep asking the questions here before you go out on the river and do something you may regret later...

A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »

come on dude you mean to tell me at first glance you didn't think it was a chinook? yeah right don't kid yourself! i bet over half the regulars including yourself at first glance thought it was a spring!   

Coho killer - Actually I could tell that was a coho doe right away but that's because I've been working with them and fishing for them for quite a while.  Even if I couldn't tell, my point is that the "newbies" on this site respect the "regulars" and I think that it's a good idea for the "regulars" to think twice before they post.  This is a great medium for new anglers to learn but they have to learn correctly.  If you're going to post something that someone may take as gospel truth, just think twice about it before you type it...

You absolutely right, my mistake. I should have given it a second glance. If I had I would have said coho.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

river walker

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2008, 03:11:39 PM »

ho... no doubt
no spots on the tail like a spring or a steel
dunno, release !
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2008, 06:40:11 PM »

I id'd that fish with my eyes closed, hands behind my back drinking a beer and nose up to the monitor, and did it in .0157 seconds.  Really, is this a competition?  pictures can be deceiving and challenging to work with.  What is important is if you can field id a fish.  If not, go with someone who can and have them teach you.  I have friends who sample adults and juveniles every day in hatcheries, screw traps and by hook and line.  They still have issues from time to time.   

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2008, 07:01:35 PM »

thats pretty obviously a coho, no spots on the tail, and look at the head.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2008, 08:28:09 PM »

Everything you could every want to know about steelhead is probably in this thread.... it's a lot of reading though!! ;)

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=8802.0
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!