Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New BARE breathable waders are around the corner  (Read 4275 times)

milo

• Old Timer
New BARE breathable waders are around the corner
« on: November 28, 2008, 12:23:13 PM »

I just got back from BARE in Langley, where I went for a sizing session in order to get a custom fix to my beloved Blackwaters.
I was treated like royalty by the guys there, which just confirms the commitment to customer service this company has.  :)

Anyway, to make a long story short, I was treated to a preview of their new breathable waders, which are to replace the current Blackwater and Cutthroat models.

The new Blackwaters are being totally revamped with some very nifty features such as water proof pockets, handwarmers, built-in gravel guards and other useful stuff, which have become expected features in this competitive market segment. The core material will still be the same as the one the current Blackwaters are made of.   ;D
The colours, however, are different. The waders will be a nice tan colour with olive accents (pockets, knees) - very good looking, BTW.  Most importantly, the seams will be reinforced with new technology that will make them almost bullet-proof. The pricee is supposed to be very competitive.   :) There will be a new and considerably improved matching jacket, which will replace the current Kodiak model.

The new Cutthroat model will also be a huge leap forward from the current model. The new colour is hard to define - it is dark - something like a very dark slate grey - but don't take me for granted as I am not much of a colour expert. A waterproof pocket is included and some other features I can't recall, as I only had eyes for the Blackwaters. There will also be a matching jacket for the new Cutthroats.

The units I was shown were prototypes, but production is expected to begin in the New Year, with the first units hitting the stores in late February or March.

I will be upgrading my Blackwaters as soon as the new model becomes available for custom fitting.

Just thought I'd give you guys a heads up, as I know there are lots of people in this community who swear by their BARE waders, and with good reason. Of course, I asked if it was OK to reveal this information and was told no problem.

Tight lines,

Milo

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: New BARE breathable waders are around the corner
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 01:09:55 PM »

Any idea on the cost ?

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 01:13:40 PM »

Im sure they will be better, Bare set the standard so low that anything is an improvement.  Will the new ones be made in Korea as well?  

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 02:08:17 PM »

I cant fish with wet feet till March, Im gonna go with a simms wader soon. From what I hear you and alot of others say about Bear products, Ill definately consider a pair eventually, I just wish the decent breathable models werent so pricey.
The Bigger The Better!

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 02:41:10 PM »

simms are a waste of money IMO. BARE's are great quality, and customer service is top notch. Very very easy to deal with to as to leaks, repairs, and warranty. Simms are a whole new ball game ::) Besides, I know 3 people that bought the G4's and had leaks within the first outing in lots of the seams. We are talking $700 waders here ::)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 03:05:20 PM »

i cant really say one company is better then the next. my first set of breathables were Bare's and they leaked after a few months in BOTH feet. So i bought some Simms and had the feet in them start leaking after a few months also  >:( >:( i sent them both back and both took about the same time frame. Simms replaces the feet all together with the new stocking feet. Bare just patched all the leaks they found, and then first trip in them to check them the breathable material ripped wide open  >:( needless to say i was choked and soaked so i tossed them in the trash. I now wear a set of Cabela's waders which i bought to use while my Simms went in, they have not leaked yet and its been close to a year in them now  ;D and alot cheaper then my other waders were. my Simms are now my girls waders or backups for myself, except right now a buddy has them until he can replace his waders LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 03:28:48 PM »

bare blackwaters are the most comfortable wader Ive ever owned...that being said ive blown the crotch out in three pairs, and had leaks along the leg seams... they are not top notch quality waders imo.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 03:42:38 PM »

Any idea on the cost ?

Unfortunately, I can't quote you a price, as it was not given to me, but it's supposed to be very competitive.
I would expect them to cost what we pay for their current models, if not less.

What I like about them is that they still have that rugged look and feel, yet they have those fancy shmancy accessories you'd expect in more expensive makes and models. For me, the most important thing is their customer service, which is top notch, and the fact that the material is the same - very strong!

The new technology they are applying to the seams should virtually eliminate leakage problems. That should make them top notch!  ;D
I'd say they'll definitely be worth looking at when they hit the market in a few months.

c-pin

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 03:45:57 PM »

I have been fishing with the same pair of BARE Blackwater waders & Kodiak jacket for 4 years. Never had a problem. I fish at least once per week. Granted, in the summer, I wet wade, but I'm in the waders about 90% of the time I'm out fishing. If you do have a problem with the waders, BARE will take care of you; that I do know.

I am seriously looking at some new waders very soon. I was looking at Simms G4 Pro for sometime around my birthday (February), so hopefully I will be able to compare the new BARE waders to the Simms G4.
Wild Salmon are like Wild Women .... Fun to Catch and Mighty Tasty

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 03:52:04 PM »

bare blackwaters are the most comfortable wader Ive ever owned...that being said ive blown the crotch out in three pairs, and had leaks along the leg seams... they are not top notch quality waders imo.

I hear you, Kingpin. Same thing here. I am getting a custom fix done this time for the very same reason. But the new model is supposed to address that well-known crotch issue effectively.
Oh, BTW, the new model is even more comfortable. You should see the new shoulder straps! Totally ergonomic and shoulder friendly. ;D

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with BARE company. Just a happy user over the years.  8)