Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Invasion of snow geese 2008  (Read 10973 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Invasion of snow geese 2008
« on: November 22, 2008, 12:46:56 PM »

While fishing around Steveston in the last several weeks, we have seen hundreds of snow geese flying above us in the evening times. If people recall, last year they had taken over school grounds around Richmond and Ladner by early November. This year they have stayed around the marches and wetlands between Sturgeon Bank and Ladner. Perhaps the difference in weather trend is the factor that determines what land they would occupy. The last few days they have started using school and park grounds again. This morning I found them at a school near our place so of course I rushed back home and grabbed the camera to capture some shots.

One of the projects that I have been involved in this fall is a video presentation of snow geese by the Richmond Nature Park Society, which should be available in early 2009. Occupation of snow geese at school grounds is a classic example of the effect of urbanization on wildlife.

Enjoy.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: Invasion of snow geese 2008
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 01:02:55 PM »

Some nice shots Rod!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 01:05:40 PM »

Thanks. ;) You need to come down and get some shots with your SLR. ;D Maybe I will tell you where they are. I can't really broadcast it on the internet, next thing you know there would be 500 people lining up shoulder to shoulder at my sweet spot. ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 03:03:07 PM »

Are you going to clean after them Rodney ?

gman

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 04:06:24 PM »

Nice pictures. Last year they ruined the soccer field my daughter plays soccer on. It was like soccer practice in a barnyard.  ???

I have lived in Steveston for 40 years, and in the last couple of years there are now far more snow geese than I have ever seen. As they damage school fields it also makes me wonder if they will also damage the natural areas of Sturgeon banks on the Fraser foreshore.  I have heard some reports about them damaging their northern summer habitats. They may eat themselves into trouble!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 04:08:05 PM by gman »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 05:00:29 PM »

Thanks. ;) You need to come down and get some shots with your SLR. ;D Maybe I will tell you where they are. I can't really broadcast it on the internet, next thing you know there would be 500 people lining up shoulder to shoulder at my sweet spot. ;D
PM away... Tomorrow's weather is looking good.

spey

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 05:07:59 PM »

how do snow geese taste?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 05:17:19 PM »

Illegal to kill them so it doesnt matter (Endangered species) ;) I would assume the same as a Candian Goose.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2008, 05:21:41 PM »

Illegal to kill them so it doesnt matter (Endangered species) ;) I would assume the same as a Candian Goose.

Are you sure ? Thought I saw an article on Global couple of years ago about Richmond residents complaining about hunting for snow geese.

SNapz

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2008, 05:24:21 PM »

Snow geese aren't illegal to kill and Canadian geese aren't either. Of course you have to have a hunting license and be in an appropriate place to shoot. They taste good to eat. =) They have opened up the limit on snow geese to 10 or 15 per day now because there are so many. In the US in certain areas they have no limit.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 05:27:14 PM »

Can I set a blind up there? ;D ;D ;D

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 05:28:58 PM »

Snow geese are considered a pest in some areas. Some people call them snow pigs or hogs because of all the damage some of the big flocks can do. If you think the damage they do down here is bad, what about up North where they go to breed. Think of the damage they do to the sensitive areas up there. Definitely not endangered, and in provinces like Alberta they have liberal limits to try and keep the population down.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 05:43:51 PM »

Lesser snow geese are not endangered, not according to the Species at Risk registry. In the 20th century, the populations declined significantly like many other species, but have since recovered. Some consider the recovery too successful as they have reached carrying capacity in their breeding grounds in the tundra region, which affects other species in the area. Having them considered as pests is unfair. They're pretty in my eyes and tasty in someone else's mouth so somewhat contradict the definition of pests. ;) We human are pests that have shaken the balance of ecosystems that we do not occupy. That's not to say the overgrown population is not a concern, since it can be harmful to both other species and their own in the long run.

Can I set a blind up there? ;D ;D ;D

You can set one up on my roof, they fly by every morning. While you're at it, there are three racoons that frequently feed in my backyard. Wait, shooting rodents is Maxine's job. ;D

Are you going to clean after them Rodney ?

That's Gadsden's job. ;D The field was ok when I was there, but tomorrow maybe a different story. This particularly field is mainly used for baseball in the summer.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 10:54:03 PM »

OK - Managed to get out and shoot a few today.  Thanks for letting me in on the "Honey Hole" Rod ;)

The whole set at: http://www.fotothing.com/albums.php?action=viewphotos&albumid=3234