Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Norrish Creek, November 21st 2008  (Read 5611 times)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
Re: Norrish Creek, November 21st 2008
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2008, 07:06:07 PM »

Fished norrish today with a very light setup, 6 pound leader, colorado #2 blade, and  a tiny little split shot (no float). I sucessfully broke a few chum off, haha it was quite fun actually. I really like the feel of the light setup, as far as playing the fish quick, thats not gonna be happening on a  6 pound leader, it just takes some time to actually land the fish unless we are talking about a 4-6 pound coho. It's funny cause it seems that you are damned if you do damned if you don't, heavy gear and you are a meat head that just wants to muscle the fish in, light gear and you are just torturing fish by playing them too long. Anyways I had a great day, there are still some clean coho kicking around just were not biting today.

and how deep was the water that you were casting your blade into ? so I can learn that skill with split shot and blades only
hardware == fish

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2008, 07:36:35 PM »

i now after the past salmon season, realized that if u cant land it on 8 or 10lb, its huge. was busted off by a few 35lb silver whites, and even on 10lb u had a decent chance of landing them, an average 10-14lb steelhead shouldn't be a huge problem. I've landed a couple big fish on 6lb. but it wasn't fun. (using almost a noodle rod, bending it 2 the cork, 6lb maxima is strong!)
Fish killer 101

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2008, 11:12:49 PM »

I was casting into probably 8 feet of water which on the tailout was about 1 foot deep. It's a nice set up for a super sensitive feel. The really slow water, I just fished with a teeny tiny split shot right above the knot for the blade, so it gave the blade itself a little more weight for casting. all in all kinda fun experimenting. In regards to leader strength, it does depend on the size of the fish but also the water that you are fishing, I've had to take a few coho down river a hundred feet or so cause I could not keep them out of the fast water without breaking off.

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 11:27:08 PM »

6lb u shouldn't have a huge problem with a coho in the dead water.
Fish killer 101

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2008, 11:52:26 AM »

Thanks for the tips with respect to knots.  I can't recall ever having broken off a coho using 8lb ultragreen (my standard), but I fished a fair bit in low clear conditions with the 10lb maxima fluoro and had several break-offs right at the knot, even while tailing a coloured fish that I was releasing.  Maybe its just crappy line, but I will try the suggestions.  Thanks!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2008, 05:13:36 PM »

6lb u shouldn't have a huge problem with a coho in the dead water.
typically, but I have been getting many of my fish at Norrish in a very small hole with very fast water on the top and bottom end, it can be difficult to land them in that small pool.

Grub

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 10:06:03 PM »

I use hooks so small I cant actually see them. I also use  a microscopic rod and reel for coho. 1/0 hooks are simply wrong.
not cool enough for a banner