Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Norrish Creek, November 21st 2008  (Read 5610 times)

hue-nut

• Old Timer
Re: Norrish Creek, November 21st 2008
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 08:28:56 PM »

I do agree, its worth a shot at least.  I am having my wife pick up some #6 gamakatsu's and 6 pound ultragreen tonight. Fishing norrish again tomorrow, hoping to get in on some fresh fish with the tide.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 08:30:48 PM »

I guess its kinda like light line fishing for Steelhead with a noodle rod, 10 pound main, and 4-6 pound leader. I've never done it personally but have read about it.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 09:18:56 PM »

I used 6 pound test practically all year last year for Steelhead when the water was super clear. My setup was 12 pound mainline, stub dink float, 3-5 spilt shots, and a 2-3 foot leader using roe or small colorados. I find the longer leader helps when the water is super clear because then the fish dont get spooked by the weights, especially for Steelhead. Now I know what some of you are going to be thinking about the longer leader  ::)  If you do think that, tell me the last time you flossed a fish with a colorado, especially a Steelhead (when there arn't very many to floss) and then get back to me  ::)

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »

I used 6 pound test practically all year last year for Steelhead when the water was super clear. My setup was 12 pound mainline, stub dink float, 3-5 spilt shots, and a 2-3 foot leader using roe or small colorados. I find the longer leader helps when the water is super clear because then the fish dont get spooked by the weights, especially for Steelhead. Now I know what some of you are going to be thinking about the longer leader  ::)  If you do think that, tell me the last time you flossed a fish with a colorado, especially a Steelhead (when there arn't very many to floss) and then get back to me  ::)

It is very possible to still floss with a blade ::), but I know what you mean about the blades and long leaders. When fishing steelhead, I too like using 2-3ft of leader when fishing blades. Size 3 flat silver in clear conditions are my fav.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 09:30:52 PM »

If you do think that, tell me the last time you flossed a fish with a colorado, especially a Steelhead (when there arn't very many to floss) and then get back to me  ::)

My brother got one five years ago from the Crossing on New Year's Eve.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 10:08:30 PM »

And how are you determining that these fish are flossed on the blades  ???  Look at the other topic where the fish have been hooked outside the mouth trying to hit the spoon... I dont think you can floss with a blade because the blade will get in the way of the hook as the line is going through the mouth and should just bounce off....

Anyhow I highly doubt any of my fish were flossed... just saying that light gear is the best way to go and for extra spooky fish use a long leader so that the weights are not right in their face. And it is possible to use 6 pound test easily on a salmon rod, you dont need a noodle stick.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 10:30:19 PM »

And how are you determining that these fish are flossed on the blades  ??? 

Does the hook on the side give you a clue ? Sorry Everyday you must be inexperienced or very naive to think that fish cannot be flossed by blades.

Sir Snag-A-Lot

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 09:13:27 AM »

For those of you using 6lb fluro, how are you attaching your leader to your mainline.  What type of knots, swivels, etc.  I have been using 8lb maxima fluro and have lost way too many fish and blades this year due to the line snapping at the knot.

Coho Cody

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 09:39:32 AM »

For those of you using 6lb fluro, how are you attaching your leader to your mainline.  What type of knots, swivels, etc.  I have been using 8lb maxima fluro and have lost way too many fish and blades this year due to the line snapping at the knot.

Size 10 barrel swivel, clinch knot.

When fishing a blade, it is a waste to use fluorocarbon leader. I just use 10lb ultragreen.

I have also found that the maxima fluoro to be pretty crappy. Although, have you been lubricating your knots? When using fluro, i use P-Line CFX. 100% fluorocarbon and super strong.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 11:15:25 AM »

Make sure that you don't put on your drag too tight and try to horse your fish in when you are using a lighter leader.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »

When fishing with light gear  also try your best not to exhaust the fish and make it hard to revive.

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »

When fishing with flouro as I have been now for the last 2 years I have switched to the Palomar knot and have had much better success than when using a clinch knot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiDDdW22X9k
 ;D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 12:24:40 PM »

however the Palomer knot doesnt work if you already have something else tied to what your tying. I normally use this knot also but clinch knot the other side. I do however palomer my blades on  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

EZ_Rolling

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 12:43:59 PM »

correct you are HOOK I was assuming he was using mono for his main line and on that side of the swivel yes I also use the clinch but the palomar works best for the fluro side/ leader.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 06:46:15 PM »

Fished norrish today with a very light setup, 6 pound leader, colorado #2 blade, and  a tiny little split shot (no float). I sucessfully broke a few chum off, haha it was quite fun actually. I really like the feel of the light setup, as far as playing the fish quick, thats not gonna be happening on a  6 pound leader, it just takes some time to actually land the fish unless we are talking about a 4-6 pound coho. It's funny cause it seems that you are damned if you do damned if you don't, heavy gear and you are a meat head that just wants to muscle the fish in, light gear and you are just torturing fish by playing them too long. Anyways I had a great day, there are still some clean coho kicking around just were not biting today.