Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where to go for bull trout?  (Read 9202 times)

square tail

where to go for bull trout?
« on: November 20, 2008, 11:55:44 AM »

really wanting to catch a bull have yet to catch one of these beautiful fish where do I go and what type of flies would I be using for them thanks for all the replies cheers. ???
the tug is the drug

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Re: where to go for bull trout?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »

Me too :) 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 01:13:02 PM »

Their are many places in the Lower Mainland that have bulls. Harrison, Vedder, Squamish, Pitt, Stave and more you just need to explore and find them. Big flies well usually get them to strike. Big flesh patterns right now, the usual like sculpin patterns, intruders, and big streamers.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

catch22

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »

hello square tail, hands down my favorite place for bull trout is the upper Pitt and upper squamish ,Ive had double didgit days on the Pitt this time of year ,with some of the fish in the eight to ten lb range.the problem there is access ,if you don't have the time or money to go up there the upper squamish is next best. the best fly for me  on both systems has been single egg or big marabou flys in black or flesh colors.good luck ,if the rains ever stop.....

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 04:01:46 PM »

I've had a great fall for bull trout fishing. Lot's of good sized fish around. Drifting egg and flesh flies under an indicator with split has been most consistent for me. In a month or two I find that this technique becomes less effective and that swinging baitfish patterns/leeches is more productive.

While this thread is here, does anyone know if the west side smaller tributaries of the Fraser (ie. emory, spuzzum, american, etc.) support bull trout populations?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 04:30:20 PM »

whens the best time to target bullies on the Squamish?? i have caught one up ther during the pink run last year even though im sure it was actually a resident dolly  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

winterbum

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 01:13:12 PM »

What size hooks are you using to tie the flesh flies or the marabou's?  Or are you using stinger hooks on a string that you can change up to whatever size?  When you do marabou's are you talking popsicles and such or intruders ect?
I've never fished for dollies/bull trout either and always wanted to give this a go.  Just started fly tying last october and I'm hooked!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 04:33:35 PM by winterbum »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2009, 08:07:01 PM »

Bronsswyk is right on the mark when he said big flies. You will most likely have to tie them yourself or get someone to custom tie them for you because the guys in most tackle shops don't stock them big enough. You want minimum size 4, but I have found 1's & 2's to be more productive. Sounds out there I know; I didn't believe it myself until the guy who use to run the hatchery on the upper Pitt showed me how to catch those big bull's. I remember him asking my wife and how we were doing (referring to the fishing) and I told him it was slow. He told me that it shouldn't be and asked what I was using. "Big flies," I told him. "How Big," he asked? "Size #6," I answered. "Not big enough," he replied as he showed me his bull flies which went up to size 2/0. Then I challenged us to fish over a run which he claimed was holding three bulls from 15 to 20 lb. We fished and fished without a touch and then he fished the run, with the same pattern in size 1/0 hitting one of the bulls on his second drift. After that he explained that bulls are all out predators and wait in ambush for their prey. He further explained how they find spots where they blend into the substrate making themselves almost invisible. Once finding their position they do not move (give away their position) until a meal worth the effort is within their strike zone. As they say the proof is in the pudding, seeing is believing. You will like bulls they are fascinating predators. 
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 04:22:34 PM »

If your out in the southeast corner of BC next summer or fall, try some of the elk/wigwam/ st mary tribs.   Then head over the divide and try the upper oldman... you should get your bull fix somewhere there... some really nice ones in those little places for sure and scenery that can't be beat.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 01:59:00 AM »

thats for damn sure!! I have read about the Wigwam and cant wait until i can fish it. best to fish with a guide the first time i read also because it can be very treacherous because its alot of canyon runs and what not.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

magwart

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 11:51:38 AM »

i think theres bulls in all the tribs but not many?

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 06:42:40 PM »

All the sloughs off the Pitt hold them NOW at high and falling tides. ;)
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 12:31:08 PM »

what are they biting on right now? It's probably a little late for flesh flies now and that is what I've always caught them on in the past.

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 09:20:53 AM »

To be honest I do well with a tiny maroon or red micro leech with a black bead on the type 2 sink tip. #12 long shank.
The fish will sip the fly quite softly beware. Look for rocks and boulders they seem to draw the fish in to hold like steelhead.
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 11:51:41 AM »

Floon if you remember that cutty pattern I showed you a while back they go bonkers for that one too.  I catch quite a few of them while fishing cutties in some of the sloughs.  I haven't tried any of the pitt river sloughs before.....must try when the shoulder heals up!

What size are you seeing in there?  I've found the fraser slough bulls to be almost "heroin chic" in comparison to some of the other systems bulls.