Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help Stop Fish Farms Seeking to Double Production  (Read 16548 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Help Stop Fish Farms Seeking to Double Production
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 01:24:05 PM »

The latest.

Chris

Dear Folks

Our letter has become too big to send to all of you, I will try to post it later today on www.adopt-a-fry.org. This email below and the  letter went to the Minister and the Premier a few minutes ago.

Please see the Globe and Mail article below.  I believe we will need 2-3 times the signatures we have now to move government to  do the right thing.

My deepest thanks to all of you

alexandra

Dear Minister of Fisheries the honourable Gail Shea and Premier Campbell:

As noted in the Globe and Mail this morning, I have been sending you this letter for a month with no reply.  What began with 100 signatures from local fishermen has grown to 7,309 signatures from around the world, but predominately British Columbia (5,785).

Premier Campbell, your government has allowed this industry to expand in the face of the most alarming wild salmon declines we have ever seen on this coast.

Minister Shea, this is not a situation of your making, but you have the opportunity to bring reason to this mess.

I will continue to take signatures to help you move past status quo and bring salmon “farming” into compliance with the laws of Canada. BC Supreme Court ruled they are no longer “farms,” they are a fishery.  There is debate now as to whether Marine Harvest and the other salmon “farming” companies actually own their fish when they put them into Canadian waters,

All we are asking is for the Fisheries Act to be applied to this industry. As wild salmon decline all the other related fisheries have been increasingly restricted.....except the marine feedlot fishery.

This is a threat to our coastal communities and the economy of British Columbia.

Standing by,

Alexandra Morton

To sign the petition to apply the Fisheries Act to fish farms the way it is applied to fishermen please click on the link below.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cEkxX3p3MGFBbWNVVGNVU3lxQnBwQmc6MA..

The Globe and Mail
Fisheries ignored 500 names. Can it ignore 5,000?
by Mark Hume
March 23, 2009

VANCOUVER -- The form letter that Premier Gordon Campbell and federal Fisheries Minister Gail Shea keep ignoring is just getting longer.

In circulation for only a few weeks, it already has nearly 5,000 signatories, and more names are being added daily as it circulates on the Web.

When it first went to the politicians, 500 names were affixed. It was ignored, so it went back into circulation and soon was resubmitted with 2,000 names, then with 4,000. It's making the rounds again this week, and is still growing.

Started by research scientist and fisheries activist Alexandra Morton, the letter asks the government to take decisive action to protect wild salmon from the threats posed by salmon farms.

One of the key requests is that salmon farms be moved away from wild salmon migration routes because of the transmission of sea lice from caged fish.

The people who signed the letter worry that salmon farms are an unacceptable risk to wild stocks.

And that fear is about to be heightened by a study being released today that shows juvenile sockeye from the Fraser River are encountering fish farms at an alarming rate.

Michael Price, a biologist with Raincoast Conservation Foundation, and Craig Orr, executive director of Watershed Watch, studied 800 wild sockeye collected in 2007-08 in northern Georgia Strait.

About 70 per cent of those fish had one to 20 sea lice attached to them. And the fish caught near farms were the most likely to be infected.

"The lice levels appear to be higher near farms," said Mr. Price, who is still analyzing the data.

Past studies by Ms. Morton have documented the spread of lice from farms to wild pink and chum salmon in the Broughton Archipelago, an area off Vancouver Island's northeast shoulder.

But the study by Mr. Price and Dr. Orr looks at sockeye, and for the first time uses DNA analysis to trace the infected fish to their watershed of origin.

The researchers conclude most of the sockeye they caught migrating near salmon farms (60 per cent in 2007 and 99 per cent in 2008) came from the Fraser River.

Sockeye are the most valuable of all salmon species because they draw a higher price on the market and because they are the fish of choice for native food and ceremonial fisheries.

Mr. Price and Dr. Orr have now linked the most valuable fish, from B.C.'s most important salmon river, to farms and lice.

Mr. Price said juvenile sockeye can follow three routes as they migrate through Georgia Strait on the outward leg of their journey to the Gulf of Alaska.

"But all these routes converge before the Broughton Archipelago [at the north end of Georgia Strait] where there are a dozen farms," he said.

"It's clear that no fish can make this journey without encountering a farm."

Mr. Price said studies have shown that one to three lice can kill a juvenile pink salmon, so it's fair to assume sockeye are dying as well.

Could this help explain the collapse of Fraser River sockeye stocks?

Some people will no doubt find this an alarming possibility.

The form letter, triggered by concerns about pink and chum, describes wild salmon as "the backbone of the B.C. Coast," and urges both Ms. Shea and Mr. Campbell to protect migrating wild stocks from fish farms.

So far, the politicians have been able to ignore the ever-growing letter. But the new study can only ratchet up the pressure.

Now that people know it's not just pink salmon, but Fraser River sockeye stocks that are at risk, one has to wonder how many more names will get added to that letter.

Lew Chater

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 07:50:15 PM »

Amazing!
 After all the requests for support in signing a letter in support of saving some of our coastal and river salmon, Alexandra has only a little over 7000 signatures of which only a bit over 5000 are actually from BC.

With new evidence that sockeye are encountering lice from Fish Farms enroute to ocean areas, you would think that the Feds, particulary FOC would use the "precautionary principal" just in case people like Alexandra Morton, Mr Price and Dr Orr are correct!

Why wait until the runs are too far gone to restore? Sorry.....rhetorical question. We've heard most of the reasons! Money, jobs, power projects......
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »

Today's update.

CG

Dear Fisheries Minister the Honourable Gail Shea and Premier Gordon Campbell:

Eleven thousand (11,000) people have signed a letter asking you to please apply the Fisheries Act to fish farms and you have not given us an answer.

We continue to standby

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 12:35:40 PM »

Another update.

Dear Fisheries Minister the Honourable Gail Shea and Premier Gordon Campbell:

12,018 people have signed a letter over the past month and half asking only that you apply the Fisheries Act to the salmon ocean feedlots in Canada and we still have not heard back.

The Fisheries Act is a powerful piece of Canadian legislation written to protect the extremely valuable wild fish populations of Canada. It is the law, not an optional course of action. 

The letter is at www.adopt-a-fry.org  The Letter.

We continue to stand-by,

Alexandra Morton

salmon river

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2009, 07:11:31 PM »

By the amount of people in the poll on who you are voting for that are voting Liberal and with the Liberals at 525 you should stop wasting your time as El Gordo does not and will not care unless you are a big business.

We really need a revolution...

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2009, 08:31:45 PM »

By the amount of people in the poll on who you are voting for that are voting Liberal and with the Liberals at 525 you should stop wasting your time as El Gordo does not and will not care unless you are a big business...
You're a little unclear on the nature of political action and I'm a little short of time to teach you (since you have so much to learn).

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 09:44:58 AM »

Today's update.

CG

Hello

I am on my way to Ottawa to try and better carry our message that the Fisheries Act must be applied to the salmon feedlots.

On April 22 Jean Michelle’s 2 hour documentary “Call of the Killer Whale” will air on PBS.

He examines the impact of the salmon feedlots on wild salmon and whales.

The number of signatures continues to grow, please let as many people know as possible that their voice will make a difference on this letter. Clearly we need more than 12,500 names.

Www.adopt-a-fry.org

Alexandra Morton

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »

Today's update

CG

Hello All:

The Federal government wants to know if Gordon Campbell intends to try and win back the right to regulate fish farms.

As it stands, Marine Harvest filed a “notice of appeal” and the Province joined in this appeal by  filing an “appearance”.   This is an ambiguous state of affairs. While Gordon Campbell has not publicly appealed my Constitutional Challenge, he has reserved the right to send lawyers to defend the Province’s right to regulate and site fish farms.

If the Province did not want salmon farms back, they would not have filed an “appearance.”

The Province has no responsibility to protect wild fish, the Federal Government does.

There is something you can do.  Contact the Liberal MLA candidates running in this Provincial election and ask them what they will do if elected?  Give up the right to regulate fish farms in the ocean, or fight to win this back.  If they plan to give it up why have they filed an appearance in Marine Harvest’s appeal?

You can find the Liberal MLA emails at http://www.bcliberals.com/

This is very important.

Alexandra Morton

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 09:46:15 AM »

Today's update

Dear Minister of Fisheries, the Honourable Gail Shea and Premier Gordon Campbell,

I am writing to you again, as I have every week since the middle of February, to ask that you apply three sections of the Fisheries Act to the industrial salmon feedlots. I have not received a reply. The U.S. Organization Trout Unlimited has sent their own letter to you with 360 signatures on it.

They write:

...”we can no longer stand by and watch silently as this new salmon crisis unfolds.  We have begun to call on our legions of advocates to voice their support for the protection of British Columbia’s wild salmon and steelhead stocks before it is too late.”

Premier Campbell 13,094 people have signed letters to you on this issue but there remains confusion over your position on salmon farms.  You have suggested on your website that you do not intend to attempt to regain control of fish farms following my constitutional challenge which removed salmon farms to the Federal government. However, you have joined the Norwegian fish farm corporation Marine Harvest in their appeal challenging  this BC Supreme Court decision. Your actions contradict your words.

In a recent trip to Ottawa MPs and Senators asked me what you intend to do:

Appeal the decision
or
Abide by the decision

Please visit www.adopt-a-fry.org to read the Trout Unlimited letter.

No one can understand why or how the salmon farming industry in Canada is allowed to operate outside the Fisheries Act which applies to everyone using the marine environment.

Alexandra Morton

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2009, 12:12:29 PM »

Another update from Alexandra. You will note the video link was posted on another thread yesterday.

CG

Hello All,

Here in British Columbia we are in the last two weeks of electing a Provincial government and this will have critical affect on wild salmon due to privatization of rivers and ocean spaces, even schools of fish.  Many of you received responses from the BC government currently in power, the “Liberals,” headed by Premier Gordon Campbell.  They said the BC government is not allowed to intervene in the Appeal of the Constitutional Challenge I won regarding fish farms. This is not correct they do have this power. I have written a response on the website www.adopt-a-fry.org  It is becoming very clear that while the current  BC government has allowed the salmon feedlots to expand despite the science, public outcry and impact on rural economies they realize they are a political liability and thus are making every effort to distance themselves from the industry.

There are simple answers to this mess which now threatens the entire eastern Pacific and the BC economy.  Aquaculture is not the problem, the problem is lack of political will.  Alaskan salmon have political will on their side and they are thriving

For those of you in B.C.  please view this film below and vote.  The existence of wild salmon depends very much on this election.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPuJfbS2qMY

I apologize for the number of emails, but if we want wild salmon we all need to act now.

Alexandra Morton

janders

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2009, 09:38:14 PM »

Nothing would make me happier with fishing in BC right now than seeing those Norwegian fisheries have to either change to an enclosed system or shut down and disappear and destroy the fish in their own country for a change.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2009, 10:28:57 PM »

Monday's update.

To those of you in Vancouver.

The Wilderness Committee will be carrying our letter with its’ 13,000 signatures to Gordon Campbell’s constituency office. They have built a salmon mascot, Tum Tum who will join them and will be also delivering their own petition with 33,000 signatures on it urging government to protect wild salmon from fish “farms.” I am hoping to be there as well.

When: Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 at 12 noon
Where: In front of BC government cabinet offices at World Trade Centre at Canada Place, downtown Vancouver

It is remarkable to me that there has been no answer to our letter simply asking for the laws of Canada to be applied and I appreciate the Wilderness Committee delivering this in person.  Many of you have received the same email from different Liberal MLA candidates saying that the Province is not allowed to interfere with the BC Supreme Court decision, but this is not accurate. In filing an Appearance they have given themselves the option to send lawyers to the appeal filed by the fish farmers.  They may indeed have decided not to fight the decision, but why then has Gordon Campbell not answered our letter?

I am hoping that we don’t get to find out.  We need someone in government who can answer a question asked by 13,000 people.

I learned this week that the U.S. Food and Drug Agency has a ban on importation of food products that have been exposed to the chemical Emamectin benzoate (Slice) that Canadian fish farms use to suppress their sea lice.  Fish farmers use this chemical in many places where people collect sea food to eat and despite requests never post notices to the public so we could avoid the drug. There is an article on page 12 in Pacific Fishing on this:

http://openpub.realread.com/rrserver/browser?title=/North_West_Publishing_Center/PF_May09_1280 <http://openpub.realread.com/rrserver/browser?title=/North_West_Publishing_Center/PF_May09_1280>

In a remote, wilderness so beautiful it captures your soul, I have raised my children on seafood exposed to a drug banned in the U.S. 

Alexandra Morton

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »

A reply I received today. I am sure many of you have been sent the same.

Dear Chris Gadsden:

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the aquaculture industry.

I appreciate your concerns about potential impacts of salmon farming, and I assure you that Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) takes these matters very seriously.

DFO supports the development of sustainable aquaculture within the context of conserving and rebuilding our wild Pacific salmon.  Aquaculture operations are subject to rigorous environmental standards under a number of statutes and regulations, including the Fisheries Act and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, to ensure our marine ecosystems are not compromised.

In addition, Canada’s Policy for the Conservation of Wild Pacific Salmon (WSP) is the basis for fishery management plans and sets out a process for the protection, conservation and rebuilding of wild salmon and their marine and freshwater ecosystems.  DFO also considers its WSP during the approval process for fish farm siting applications.

The Department is committed to continually improving the management of aquaculture based on the best available science.

DFO will continue to work to conserve and protect salmon stocks for current and future generations.  Thank you for taking the time to write to me with your concerns.

Sincerely,

Original Signed By

Gail Shea, P.C., M.P.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 06:09:33 PM »

The latest update from Alexandra.

With the results of the election from last Tuesday it appears to be a uphill battle on the fish farm front for the next 4 years and I have to agree with Alexandra the courts may continue to be the only avenue to go to stop the assault on our wild fish stocks. Of course when you see we only get 50% of the eligible people out to vote many do not seem to care about such things as fish farms but some do not vote for many reasons including they get frustrated with politics and politicans.

Also it may be the time for all the dozens of different environmental groups in British Columbia to band together as one so there is a very very strong voice. This is of course can be difficult as these groups have different ideas on other issues tend to keep us separated. It is like the debates on flossing and fly fishing only (I only use that as a comparsion so please do not bring that in to the discussion) that keeps us anglers at odds with each other. We also saw this during election when some usually NDP environmnetal  supporters backed the Liberals. The carbon tax was one of them. Of course this was an ace in the hole for them and helped the Liberal party gain some much needed seats to gain power for a third term.

I know Alexander has other groups and people working with her but I feel we need more and to that end I will talk to some of my groups I are involved in the next little while to see if they feel we could accomplish bringing more people into the fold so to speak. Please give your feelings here what more we need to do to reach that end.

Of course we realize so much has done by Alexandra and others over the years but you can see she was getting close to packing it in. If that happened we would be sunk without her dedication and leadership on this cause for so many years. Some may wish to consider sending her a personal e - mail encouraging and thanking her for keeping at it, not only for us but most importantly for the wild fish.

CG

Hello

Gordon Campbell locked the doors when I tried to deliver our letter and left us on the street.  Campbell has been re-elected and at first I thought this meant BC does not actually want wild salmon, nor their rivers.  I began to make plans to give up and get my own life back in order, but then someone forwarded me this map. The ridings with wild salmon and wild salmon rivers,  did not actually elect Campbell. 

Thousands of people have told me they want wild salmon and have wished me success in this, but at every BC election a handicap is laid on us who are trying to do this.  I am writing to say people cannot wave from the sidelines any longer, because we are not succeeding.  Wild salmon are going extinct on our watch.  Yes, yes climate change will be a factor, but wild salmon are built to survive cataclysmic change in their environment and if we allow their genetic warehouse to rebuild right now, we stand a far better chance of receiving the food and energy this fish brings to us in the years to come.

Grieg Seafood is trying to build two of the biggest fish farms on the coast, on the juvenile salmon migration route for Fraser River and East Vancouver Island stocks, at York Island.  Marine Harvest is trying to increase the size of their “farms” coastwide.  They are taking me back to court this summer to resolve whether they own their fish in the Canadian Ocean.  Atlantic salmon eggs are still being imported into BC, despite the Infectious Salmon Anemia virus popping up everywhere the Norwegian salmon farmers operate.  Emamectin benzoate (Slice) is being used in our waters....with no warnings posted during usage...even though the U.S. Food and Drug Agency apparently has a ban on any food products “exposed” to this neurotoxin (Pacific Fishing current issue).  This means all of us who are fishing, and harvesting seafood near fish farms have no way to make sure we are not “exposed” to the drug.  And the fish feedlots are in violation of many sections of the Fisheries Act.

Not only is there no progress, we are moving backwards.

I am headed to Norway next week, but doubt anyone is listening there either.

I can only see two ways forward.... The courts..... And for us all to step up and say “no more.”

The solution is so simple:  Apply the laws of Canada, The Fisheries Act.  If the Norwegians can’t comply they should leave.  Give the Canadian fish farmers who want to revamp their industry in closed tanks a break in getting set up.  Market wild and farm fish to raise the value of both.  And restore wild salmon in a way that has never been tried.....adhering to their biology, the natural laws that have caused them to thrive in the first place.

And we need everyone who wants wild salmon to sign this letter.  Currently we are at 14,000.....and we are still on the street, this was not enough to even get in the door.

It is up to you guys.

Alexandra Morton

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 08:19:07 AM »

From the Tyee

The future of salmon

Globally, ocean biodiversity is threatened by overfishing, and here it's no different.

Lash March, Pacific Salmon Forum -- which was commissioned by the provincial government to research ways to enhance sustainability of aquaculture, and to protect and enhance viability of wild salmon stocks -- released its final report and recommendations.

"We're solidly in favour of those recommendations being implemented, and our objective is to try and make sure that government will do that," says John Werring, a marine and freshwater conservation specialist with the David Suzuki Foundation.

The foundation's approach is two-way conversations with government and industry.

"We're trying to talk to the industry, to convince them it's in their best environmental interest to change their practices, and trying to convince government that it's in their best interest to change the way fish farming is done in B.C.," says Werring.

But the provincial government has not yet moved on two of the Pacific Salmon Forum's key recommendations: limiting production and moving towards inland fish farms.

"What the government and industry are doing instead is proposing, or at least industry is requesting, to increase [fish farm] production. And government is seriously considering it... either to double or triple current levels," said Werring.

The desire to expand is "extremely problematic" because it means the possibility of replacing open-net fish farms with closed containment systems is more and more unlikely.

"Industry is saying we can't move to closed containment because there are no known technologies that would produce fish at the current levels," he says. "In the meantime, they want to expand production... That loop will never be closed."

Protests might ramp up

When asked if the two-way dialogue approach could be effective, given the fact that fish farms can't agree on this key issue, Werring says it's possible that more direct action in the form of protests or civil disobedience might be needed.

"We will have to wait and see and cross the bridge when we get to it," he says. "We're trying to take a reasoned, middle-ground approach, recognizing that the industry is here and it creates jobs and stimulates the economy."

"If they do expand by two or three times," adds Werring, "You can basically kiss every wild salmon on this coast goodbye."