Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help Stop Fish Farms Seeking to Double Production  (Read 16542 times)

Eagleye

• Old Timer
Help Stop Fish Farms Seeking to Double Production
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:15:59 AM »

November 19, 2008

Farmed and Dangerous Action Alert

Help Stop Fish Farms Seeking to Double Production

In spite of all the evidence that shows the negative impacts caused by open net-cages, Norwegian-owned companies are seeking approval to roughly double their current level of already unsafe production in two critical wild salmon migration routes. We need your help to demand the British Columbia government deny these amendments. Send a fax today!

On a site-by-site basis, some farms could triple, quadruple or increase six-fold their current licensed production levels. You can see a map of the proposed increases here. Government should not reward those that are harming our communities, our environment, and our natural resources. Such a massive expansion cannot be permitted. The weight of scientific evidence is telling us loud and clear that open net-cages are negatively affecting coastal ecosystems. We need to end these destructive practices, not increase them.

The government does not seem to be hearing this message. Your voice – whether you are a voting BC resident, a concerned consumer, or someone who wants to keep our oceans healthy for the future – is needed to take a stand.

You can help! Send a fax to BC Premier Gordon Campbell and Hon. Stan Hagen, British Columbia Minister of Agriculture and Lands. Tell them that the expansion of an already harmful industry cannot be tolerated. It’s time to invest in a sustainable future. Closed, contained systems are the only way forward if we are going to continue to have a sustainable farmed salmon industry at all in BC. It’s time to institute emergency measures to protect wild salmon that have already been severely depleted by net cage salmon farms. It’s not the time to reward companies polluting our waters with massive production increases.

Send your fax here

http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/fax/stop_the_amendments

salmon river

Re: Help Stop Fish Farms Seeking to Double Production
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 07:40:05 AM »

What amazes me is so many of the anti fish farm people I talk to still plan on voting for El Gordo next May...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:24:35 PM »

What amazes me is so many of the anti fish farm people I talk to still plan on voting for El Gordo next May...

You really think the NDP will get rid of them? Be serious now. A cash cow like the fish farms is not going anywhere from either government.....

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

salmon river

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 06:58:50 PM »

No I do not. The real problem is there is no one to vote for. So I will end up voting Marijuana Party., Marxist or just write in none of the above..
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:04:34 PM by salmon river »

nosey

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 08:22:05 AM »

Seeing as all politicians lie once elected I really don't think the NDP can totally get rid of the fish farms, however I would sooner by far vote for a government that doesn't agree with the fish farms in principle than one that openly supports them and is openly supported by them.  If we are stuck with the fish farms then any control that will limit them rather than uncontrolled expansion is welcome.  One step at a time even small steps, while not ideal is still helpful. If the wild salmon runs in B.C. are going to be annihilated then the slower the process happens the better, somewhere along the line people might realize the crimes against nature that the governments have created and start working to rectify them and save our salmon.

skibumAB

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 06:02:54 PM »

The latest News from adopt-a-fry http://www.adopt-a-fry.org/

Hello All:

As it stands salmon "farms" are now a public fishery as per the BC Supreme Court decision. I feel certain this door is being pushed shut as fast as possible and so feel a sense of urgency that if we are going to accomplish anything real in the water at this moment of enormous opportunity that it will take all of us to get this done.

I am hoping that everyone with a fishing license be it commercial, personal, sport or First Nation will consider signing this.

If people want to sign please send me, (Alexandra Morton, wildorca@island.net), your first and last name, your fishery and your town and I will put you on the letter,

Please forward this far and wide as fast as you can.

Standing by,

Alex

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:49:08 PM »

Received this today so am taking the liberty of posting this here. I hope those that have not signed on will and help Alex get a few more names to put on the list. I feel that is the least we can do.

Thanks to all that have signed and will do today or tomorrow.

Hello

I want to thank all of you for your comments and insights as you sent me your names to sign onto the letter "We the Fishermen."

While at first I hoped for 100, this morning we are 702 strong and so I can see that it is possible to reach 1,000.

One thousand people is a lot to close the door on.

I apologize for adding to your inbox, but if each of us tried to get one more person to sign on we would easily reach that goal.  The Province has 2 more days to appeal.  Marine Harvest said they would fallow the migration route through the Broughton by March, but now say they can't because their market has failed badly.  The have not even addressed the affect of their feedlots on the Fraser River migration route.

Right now this industry is hanging on a legal thread, they are a public fishery.  If we can't force reason on the situation now, I doubt we will every return to this point.

Please make sure people give me three things

Name
Gear type, or relationship to the fish (3-5 words) Town

Thank you again you have inspired me.

alex

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 09:10:03 PM »

The latest. Lets get on board, its not too late. We can make a difference if we get involved in these issues

The address is:

wildorca@island.net)

Thanks to all that have signed and to those that will.

Hello All 1,237 of us who have signed the letter

I am really impressed by how many of you have taken a stand and signed this letter, in fact I cannot keep up with you.  I have now read over 1000 emails from all of you this week and you have made it clear this is important to you.  We still have not received a reply. 

Many of you asked that I include Premier Gordon Campbell as a recipient of this letter because we don’t know his intention. Will he appeal, will the federal government sub-delegate the feedlot fishery back to the Province?

The point of this is simply to have the Fisheries Act applied to the salmon aquaculture industry as it is applied to all fisheries and users of the marine environment.  With some very generous help from a fisherman I am hoping that you can now sign on electronically.  In theory you can click on the link below.  I will keep sending the letter with all the names as they come in and I will continue informing you of our progress or lack of it.  Please let me know if you don’t want to be contacted anymore. Do not sign up again, but forward this link as far as you can.

We should each also be contacting our M.P.s to let them know our concerns because if sub-delegation is looming your M.P. will be asked to vote on this.

Thank you so much our numbers inspire me and as we all know wild salmon are running out of time. The full letter and your names is on my www.adopt-a-fry.org website under “The Petition.” If this doesn’t work, please bear with me I am a biologist not a computer whiz and I will get it right.

As one of you wrote:

Thank you to all of us,

Alexandra Morton

« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:12:42 PM by chris gadsden »

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 10:55:59 PM »

Its very quick and easy to all who have not filled it out.
always a student

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 05:54:05 PM »

Today's update, numbers growing.

Dear Honourable Minister of Fisheries Gail Shea, Premier Gordon Campbell and Paul Sprout.

One thousand, nine hundred and thirty nine (1,939) people have signed the attached letter asking that the Fisheries Act be applied to the marine feedlot fishery.

I understand that a few hours ago Marine Harvest appealed the BC Supreme Court decision that made their operations in Canada a fishery. They said it is because they are worried about who owns their fish. I suspect also they are more comfortable as a “farm” under Provincial jurisdiction as wild marine fish are not a Provincial concern.

This must not be an excuse not to deal with the problems.  We are really worried about our fish and cannot understand why no one will answer the letters we have been sending asking for several very reasonable aspects of the Fisheries Act to be applied to this fishery.

We are standing by and wishing you wisdom in dealing with this,

Alexandra Morton

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 06:19:41 PM »

The reply I recieved..............

Thank you for the weight your name carries

To sign the petition to apply the Fisheries Act to fish farms the way it is applied to fishermen please click on the link below......... pass it on

Alexandra Morton

http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cEkxX3p3MGFBbWNVVGNVU3lxQnBwQmc6MA..

"jim andre" <jimandre@shaw.ca> wrote:

Jim andre
new westminster B.C
fraser river basin

director of the steelhead society of B.C.
member of the Kingfisher Rod and Gun club

please ad my name to the list.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 10:27:24 PM »

fax sent...if the liberals want my vote, they'll take the appropriate action...it would be nice if they outight banned the open-net cage fish farms altogether!

Morty

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 11:29:09 PM »

We're not all paying attention

From what I understand of the recent court ruling that Alexandra Morton was instrumental in obtaining, the salmon farms floating in the BC tidal water are now a FEDERAL GOVERNMENT issue to be regulated by the DFO.

This is no longer a provincial government issue.
Nothing to do with "Gordo" (as some write.)
Nothing to do with our provincial Liberals.

Redirect your effort now to your respective MP's
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:34:01 PM by Morty »
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 05:09:24 PM »

The update today.

Dear Fisheries Minister the Honourable Gail Shea and the Premier of British Columbia, Gordon Campbell:

Three thousand and six people have now signed this letter to you.  While the Province of British Columbia did not appeal the BC Supreme Court decision that it was unconstitutional for the Province to be regulating fish farms, Marine Harvest did and so this remains a provincial, as well as, federal issue.  We are writing out of concern for our fish, the wild salmon.  Regardless of who eventually ends up with the task of regulating the salmon feedlot fishery, we feel it is imperative that the Fisheries Act be applied, starting immediately with placing observers on site during harvest to record by-catch, removing the grow lights which attract wild species into the pens and licencing the vessels transporting salmon to and from these facilities.

We are extremely concerned about the exceptional decline of salmon and herring stocks associated with the salmon feedlots.

Standing by,

Morty

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 08:19:43 PM »

We should be able to encourage far more that three thousand to sign this eh Chris?

I'm thinking that every owner and employee of taclke shops and guiding companies everywhere in the province should be signing on. 

Does anyone reading this know the key contacts for fish guiding associations or tackle retailer groups?
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"