Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Update from Stealth Floats!  (Read 11379 times)

Stealth

• Steve Kaye Sportfishing
Re: Update from Stealth Floats!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 08:25:48 AM »

no i its not the weight i have cut all my lead according 2 the weight that is needed, i used a digital scale and got the weights perfect. My problem is when trying 2 keep a tight line with the float (not lay my line on the water) i the float wavers back and forth, in a zigzag, not any extreme but weird. The 28gramer doesn't have a problem. Mabey its the specific float. But i do still like the length of the old ones.

Do u find the less weight more stealth or is there no need for it. I find that where i fish (mid to upper river) the heavier float keeps u in the zone longer and better than the lighter setups, i sometimes in pocket water or deep fast runs go up to 35 grams.

The weight rating on the float is just a guideline, I really didn't expect anyone to actually weigh their lead to the exact grams. so weight you float so it fishes properly for you that may mean a little more weight than exactly 23 grams. As I said that is the size I use for steelhead and when weighted as shown on the rigging page they fish very well.

The original Stealth floats are still available at some stores. We have gone threw them and inspected them for defects as best as possible, the originals are not as durable as the Traditional series but they are a great deal as they are on sale for $1.99 per float. The stores that have them are selling them in bins as we unpackaged them so we could inspect them.

Stores that have the clearance floats in stock are
Army and Navy
Reaction Fly and Tackle
Riverside Fly and Tackle
Fred's tackle
Chilliwack Dart and Tackle
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:44:24 AM by Stealth »

Stealth

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 08:43:04 AM »

are any of these Stealths made with a hole through the center yet?? I bought a few of the originals and wasnt a big fan of the rubber tubing around the post thing they had. I really like piker style floats and do use the foam or balsa ones, and like balsa better but for $7 a float its gets pricey LOL and i refuse to pay for Drennans. these floats at $3.99 are a good value especially if they are stronger, I would like to see a green tinted one also though and also designed with the straight through hole.

We do not ever plan on making straight threw clear floats. One of the main goals was to eliminate the need for bobber stops I really found those things to be a pain in the butt. Weather a float is a collar style or an straight threw makes no difference to the way it fishes. The New Traditional series floats comes with surgical tubing and some clear plastic tubing. The surgical tubing goes on top and the clear on the bottom http://www.stealthfishing.com/rigging/ , it is amazing how well this works! The float stays where you put it, rock solid but you can still adjust it easily and they stay on very well when you break off below the float.

Currently we also plan on staying with clear because regardless of the water color a clear float will always be the right color and adapt to the water conditions.

O and BTW these floats are very durable as I stated earlier I fished all steelhead season (25 days) with 2 floats and I still have the second one, the fisrt one was lost to a snag when the line broke above the float.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 08:45:54 AM by Stealth »

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2008, 02:21:33 PM »

are u planning 2 make then with a thinner stem, i make smaller floats from balsa and add wood stems 2 then where i secure the line with large sized junction tubing for tube flies. These floats are in the 15-20gram range. I dont like how the stems are so large.
Fish killer 101

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2008, 03:00:02 PM »

Pulled a traditional series out of the river in October and I must say, it was quite nice. It did have smaller stems than the originals.

it would be sweet if they came tinted brown though. I keep buying the drennans because of the tint but I would purchase the stealths if they came tinted

Stealth

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2008, 05:21:28 PM »

are u planning 2 make then with a thinner stem, i make smaller floats from balsa and add wood stems 2 then where i secure the line with large sized junction tubing for tube flies. These floats are in the 15-20gram range. I dont like how the stems are so large.

We are planning on shorting the stem slightly with the next shipment but we will not make it thinner as this will also be much weaker as well.

Stealth

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2008, 05:25:06 PM »

Pulled a traditional series out of the river in October and I must say, it was quite nice. It did have smaller stems than the originals.

it would be sweet if they came tinted brown though. I keep buying the drennans because of the tint but I would purchase the stealths if they came tinted

I must say I am surprised with the interest for tinted floats, in the past I found that the clear drennen floats always were more popular.
Our thinking was that a clear float would blend in automatically with water color conditions so tinted floats would not be necessary.

Stealth

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 07:20:29 PM »

Earlier in the thread I was asked for the pictures of the floats in the water, I thought that I deleted them but I found it today while working on a different site of mine so here it is.  Looks pretty "stealthy" to me :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:22:13 PM by Stealth »

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2008, 08:56:48 PM »

impressive shot, think I'll be picking a couple up soon

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2008, 09:11:42 PM »

was that taken on a sunny day though?? because i dove under the water to see if the rumor of the clear floats glowing 'BLUE' was true or not and found that they did glow a bit  :-\ and yes Drennans do it also.

perhaps the new series floats have remedied this problem though  ;D nice shot anyhow
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Stealth

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2008, 09:36:58 PM »

was that taken on a sunny day though?? because i dove under the water to see if the rumor of the clear floats glowing 'BLUE' was true or not and found that they did glow a bit  :-\ and yes Drennans do it also.

perhaps the new series floats have remedied this problem though ;D nice shot anyhow

Yes it was a sunny day out, the water had just a tinge of color to it. Hope to get some better shots in the future and also some video comparing clear, white and black floats as well.