Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: more netting AGAIN this weekend  (Read 9228 times)

Morty

more netting AGAIN this weekend
« on: November 13, 2008, 08:33:09 AM »

Starting this Friday Nov 14th until Sunday at 6:00 pm, the nets will be out again from "below Port Mann" pretty much all the way to Hope.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/CommunalOpeningTimes.html

As much as I wish I could use a net - the hook and line is way more gratifying.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

obie1fish

Re: more netting AGAIN this weekend
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 05:59:28 PM »

It's frustrating- from what I'm told, we can't fish the Thompson this year due to low numbers, but the chum nets are out. I just keep going back to this same old spot in the argument, and my frustration level goes up as my hope for piscatorial sanity goes slowly down the drain, to the point of someone asking me, "Hey, old man... what's a coho?".

I dunno... time for a Scotch.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 12:17:18 PM »

|Those Chum must be real beauties that are comming through now.
Cant imagine a whole lot of boats out there for this one but i coulod be wrong.
Fisheries management is just a joke these days.
Im surprised there isnt a lineup at the local cliff with with fisheries biologists and those that have no say at DFO and MOE.

Oh look ,there goes another jumper!!

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 12:20:27 PM »

Time to write a letter and join an angler group like the Steelhead Society and the BCFDF is more like it ;)

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 12:35:14 PM »

Time to write a letter and join an angler group like the Steelhead Society and the BCFDF is more like it ;)

Cheers,
Nicole

or mass protest with a lot of people not buying licenses to get their attention.

Marsman

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »

It has been open all week in the Harrison.  Here is a link.  Beach Seine for Chum but I'm sure that is why the Chehalis is slow for Coho.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/EconomicOpeningTimes.html

Morty

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 03:09:18 PM »

I was at the confluence most of the day Tuesday and travelled up the river to the top end of the water diversion pilings - did not see any nets out.  Another friend launched at Kilby and fished the confluence Wednesday and did not see any netting activity then either.  Report from Wednesday was that water level was way up and dirty - visibility only 6" and waterline up almost to the trees (no beach at Billy Smith Rocks)

The intended recipients must not have received the memo, or there's not enough quality fish left for the effort.

Rick

Morty

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »

Posted by: Marsman 
Insert Quote
It has been open all week in the Harrison.  Here is a link.  Beach Seine for Chum but I'm sure that is why the Chehalis is slow for Coho.

I believe the Chehalis is slow for Coho is BEACUSE THE COHO ARE DECIMATED !!!!

I'm really stumped at what I can personally do to get that message across!!   ??????
Anyone who has fished any of the Fraser Valley waters for more that 2 years must certainly have noticed that there fewer fish (even fewer carcasses).  It's not because you've been going on the wrong days guys and gals - because THE FISH ARE DISAPPEARING !!

WE  repeat  WE !    I'll write it again in case you missed it  WE  need to take some ACTION !

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 08:45:37 PM »

Agreed Morty.  I was astonished when I spoke with a couple popular shops this past month.  They guys in there acted like this was a banner year.  Not that I'm surprised.  They always try to stir up a lot of hype to keep business up and they also always act like the best fisherperson on the planet.  However, I was surprised that they completely had their heads in the sand.  The fishing has gone from phenominal 7-10 years ago to good 3-6 years ago to ok the past 2 years.  This mediocre fishing will catch up with the tourist industry.  I hope the short term gains that the electeds saw from selling gravel and allowing development in the wrong place will cover the collapse of the fishery. 

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 10:00:13 PM »

Agreed Morty.  I was astonished when I spoke with a couple popular shops this past month.  They guys in there acted like this was a banner year.  Not that I'm surprised.  They always try to stir up a lot of hype to keep business up and they also always act like the best fisherperson on the planet.  However, I was surprised that they completely had their heads in the sand.  The fishing has gone from phenominal 7-10 years ago to good 3-6 years ago to ok the past 2 years.  This mediocre fishing will catch up with the tourist industry.  I hope the short term gains that the electeds saw from selling gravel and allowing development in the wrong place will cover the collapse of the fishery. 

What do you mean... its been a banner year for CHUM lol

I can see Gordon Campbel  out there with a rod and a bouncing betty promoting it personally lol in there next tourism BC commercial

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 05:32:12 PM »

as far as quality of chum goes, yes, it has been a banner year.  But, I seriously doubt there are as many chum in the system this year as there were in previous years.  Used to be tough to make it across the river in many places without stepping on a redd or carcass, not this year. 

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 07:38:20 PM »

in past years (4 years ago) it got boring to hook chum, imagine that, a kid fishing and getting bored of hooking fish, i mean common. And i remember the days age 7-10 where me and my dad would go after dinner in september to the capilano and kill 8 fish, i actually was getting good at that point, didn't loose 2 many fish. But lately its brutal, coho numbers are so low, their numbers are absolutely terrible, steelhead seem to still be coming back in decent numbers, chinooks in the vedder and capilano are good, but in the thompson absolute crap, i doubt we will ever hook into 27 jacks and 8 springs in 1 day again. U cant blame the commercial fishermen for everything, but they dont do the ecosystem any good. Especially up north in alaska where everyone is taking the fish returning down the coast 2 BC. Its taken a turn for the worse
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 07:41:40 PM by younggun »
Fish killer 101

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 07:43:54 PM »

as far as quality of chum goes, yes, it has been a banner year.  But, I seriously doubt there are as many chum in the system this year as there were in previous years.  Used to be tough to make it across the river in many places without stepping on a redd or carcass, not this year. 

I think their were more this year than last year but not as many as past years. All salmon are on the decline. Look at even the pinks. I remember in 2003 where you were catching 20-30 fish every day no matter what tide you were fishing on the fraser. Every year it has gotten worse and worse.

At least here on the East Coast of the island the hatcheries are working hard to get a good pink fishery for every year. Gives us fly guys something to do.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family