Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats this guy holding?  (Read 5526 times)

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Whats this guy holding?
« on: November 10, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »

Just had this pop up on the screen, and I cant figure out what that guy is holding. Is he fishing for whales? or is that a rod pvc tube? Maybe a long net?  ???
http://www.squarefeetevents.ca/
The Bigger The Better!

skunked

Re: Whats this guy holding?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:13:20 PM »

looks like one of those monster carp poles they use

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 03:09:20 PM »

looks like one of those monster carp poles they use
Yup!

Nick78

• overtackled & underfished
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 04:31:45 PM »

Those rods are used for smaller white fish in Europe. Fished without a reel, sometimes over 20ft long.

Watch this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct1Uet96Zsk

Nico

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 06:03:17 PM »

Yup I still have my Opa's 24foot bamboo carp rod. No reel just light line a float a couple of split shot(not always) and a hook with bait. I wish I still had my first bamboo rod but it was lost 31 years ago  :'(

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 06:47:36 PM »

dont some of those carp rods go over 30 feet also. I used to see them using them on WFN when i had it for free LOL
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 06:49:33 PM »

Those rods are used for smaller white fish in Europe.
I've had carp up to 15lbs on my pole and I know several anglers who've had 20lbs plus carp!  They are easily and often used for big fish as well.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 07:07:09 PM »

That's nothing compared to the new 150' crane I just ordered.  Seriously, maybe I'm too "new school" for the 30' pole, but it seems pretty rediculous.  I could see some advantage, but not enough to outweigh how silly you would look holding one of those things. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 07:19:05 PM »

Perfect for chucking 15-20 ft. leaders.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 08:14:31 PM »

Got one that's 24' fibreglass, retracts to 26".  Reason for not using cast is in EU, Jpn, many parts of Asia where common carp, crucian carp is the main fish target they are fished so often they are easily spooked.  Any sound will scare them away and you might not get a bite entire day.  Long rod's needed to reach your dip zone (have to be very gentle)  Leader length is usually 5" and with 1.5 to 3lb line rating.  Those float you see in our tackle shop here in Canada would not detect any bite.  The float usually used for carp fishing in EU and Asia is pencil thin and some is made of bird feathers.

The pole though looks thick it's wall is actually really thin.  It retract that's why it's that thick.

Morty

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 09:39:09 PM »

That's a fishing "Pole".  Lots of companies make them including Shimano.  They actually come up 18 meters in length; made up of sections about a meter long.  There is no reel - the line is attached to a rubber bungie-like tip that will give a bit in a heavy fight.  The fisher "casts" out by adding sections to the rod on the butt end.  Conversely, the way they land a fish is by slowly removing sections and bringing the rod tip in closer...

What is really cool that they can do that we can't with our methods - they've learned, as we have, that a fish will run away from the tension in the line. So, when they get a fish, they add sections to the rod and "pull" out past the fish.  That makes the fish swim TOWARD the fisher.  They just keep pushing out while slowing taking butt sections off and the fish ultimately swims right to the fisherman's feet. 

Here's a starter article for ya.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article.asp?UAN=4893&v=1

I can't wait till we see these at KWB. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:41:37 PM by Morty »
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Terry D

• Carp are sportfish too!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 01:52:10 PM »

The whole idea of pole fishing is that you can fish with much more finer tackle and a more sensitive rig, that would be impossible to cast with a normal rod and reel. It also helps that you can feed groundbait on a dime 15mtrs away (chumming over here) and fish right over it.  It is also very good for fishing right next to cover where the fish tend to hide or even right in the far bank cover of a small river or canal where it would be very difficult to cast a float to and hold it in position.

Whilst you can pust the pole out when you get a bite, to make the fish swim towards you, you still have to land it when it gets close and this is when most fish are lost.
I'd be more than happy to demonstrate this method to anyone who's interested as I've brought my 16mtr pole over here.  I also have an 8mtr power pole which may be suitable for salmon.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 06:02:38 PM »

That rod is obviously for bottom bouncing for Sturgeon. ;D

Murkeywaters

• Life long angler, arrived in BC Nov 2005 from UK
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 10:41:15 PM »

Terry mate, you tried but give up - they aren't going to get it!  ;)

I'd love to see you Salmon fishing with the 8m - you would get some right old comments! Do you really think you'd get (land) a Salmon in on it, I'm sceptical?

Take care mate, if you are ever up in Vernon and fancy some good Carp fishing let me know, rivers (spring) and lakes!!

cheers,

Paul.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 10:54:54 PM »

Tried 17m pole at St Marys for smallmouth bass, it was FUN!!!.  Also tried fishing it for kokanees before and it's a blast!  I have caught and landed rainbows up to 16" on the pole but bigger ones I have problem keeping them from snapping off the leader  (3lb leader).